I played an Agile last night . . . I'm well aware of Agile's reputation and the one I played seemed to fit. Felt just like a Les Paul but was in dire need of a setup and some major intonation work. Now I love the look of a Hagstrom Swede and I read that they are fantastic instruments, but hopefully I can hear from someone with experience with both.

For those of you who don't like to read:

Hagstrom Swede vs. Agile + new tuners + a setup

Thanks, all.
i am a die-hard Agile fan. i own 3 of their guitars with another on the way. their AL-3000+ line of LPs are the equal of many Gibsons. they play and look gorgeous, fantastic quality and workmanship, plus, 1/3rd the cost of a LP studio.
I've played Agile's and Hagstrom's. Agile quality and craftmanship is NO WHERE near that of Hagstrom.
I don't think much of Agile's lower end instruments just from the description of materials used, however, the 3000 Series Les Paul seems to be made of really decent stuff... Mahogany body, maple top, mahognay set neck, nickel HW, ebony fingerboard and real abolone inlays! Pretty nice package. While it's made in Korea, I'm sure if you played a couple you'd find a jem.
On the flip side Hagstrom was and is a high quality manufacturer of guitars (> 35 years + experience) and their quality control should be tighter.
Moving on.....
Quote by Billy Picken
I've played Agile's and Hagstrom's. Agile quality and craftmanship is NO WHERE near that of Hagstrom.

Which Agile and Hagström did you try?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
Which Agile and Hagström did you try?

Yes this plays a huge issue with this thread. You shouldn't compare brands, I think you should compare the Agile AL3100 with the Hagstrom Ultra/Super swedes.
i've played the hagstrom super swede at a store near my house, its a fancy expensive store that get angry if you just jerk them around be going in and playing for fun. But back to the guitar. I didnt like the feel of the neck, it felt dry and not awkward. The body was really heavy, i've played gibson lps tons of times, and their body weight is much lighter than that of the super swede. Now the sound it produced was nice, and so was the look, but the price tag was massive like 1000, so i think you'd be better off with the agile 3000. Also the agile seems to resemble the gibson lps a lot more than the hagstrom, the hagstrom looks different.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
^ Yeah. The regular Swede's horn makes them look really fat to my eyes. The ultra horn is quite alright but their body is too thin.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Another vote for Agile (at least the more top end ones, can't vouch for the lower end stuff). Great guitars. They may be made in Korea, but apparently it's in the same big factory that makes Epiphones and PRS SE's, among others. I've got an Agile PS900 and the workmanship on it is AT LEAST as good as on my Gibson Explorer, if not better.

And to the guy that said they need better tuners, I don't know what model he played, but most of the higher up ones come with Grover 18:1's and they are great tuners.
I have a Select Swede, and yeap, it's one heavy mofo to say the least. It's the top of the line, but you should get it around 600-700. I can get a new swede for 425-475 CDN, so I would say that store is extremely overpriced.

I have yet to see a guitar (though I am in a limited area for that) that has as much wood as my SS, and that's why it's so heavy. Even LP's have far less wood, no standard LP case will fit the hag, you can't close the lid. The only thing that Agile has produced that would match up with the Hag would be the 3500 limited edition units from a couple years back, and even then, only if you would like a more lead guitar. The hags were built for sound, playability and sustain, and was more for rhythm work, jazz, r & b etc. It's not the guitar you would want if you are a shredder, or hard metal, but it's a pretty good and very versatile guitar for just about everything else. Great for the older 60/70/80 stuff.

Hags are very good guitars without the price, as long as you understand they are more a gresch type guitar than a Les paul. Agiles are more LP like, but they would be a better guitar than a lot of the Epiphones, which would be a lot better to compare with rather than the Hagstroms.
Main Gear
Hagstrom Select Swede- Fender C600 (modded of course) - Peavey PV8
Main Effects
- DSP2024P - MT-2 - Yamaha CO-10M - MXR Phase 90 - BBE Stinger - Ibanez BCL Bi-Mode Chorus
Quote by KenG

On the flip side Hagstrom was and is a high quality manufacturer of guitars (> 35 years + experience) and their quality control should be tighter.

Hagstrom stopped making guitars for quite some time before they started up again. The new ones are now made in China
I have an original 71 Swede and compared it to a new one of the same model. everything about them is Identical as far as sound and feel and, yes weight, they are heavy bastards. The only thing up in the air about them is qualtiy control due to their new place of manufacturing. As long as you can try a couple out to make sure you get one put together properly you should have no trouble. I have not played an Agile yet but I know the Hagstrom necks are not for everyone. They are fairly thin compared to a Gibson neck so you should definetly try one out for more than ten minutes to see if it is comfortable for you.( fretting hand thumb cramps).

Hope this helps with your decision making ...
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Yeah I agree, the neck is thin as well, which is not bad once you get use to it. My friend has a couple vintage LP's, and he adjusted fine. In fact, when he comes over, it's the Hag he plays.

Quality is excellent, but it's the same as other Asian made guitars, so it won't be any different from every other brand. The only thing I replaced is the screws, as they strip quite easy, but then I would do that with other brands. The new hags have one funny problem, the washer that holds the input jack is actually slight larger so you have to tighten it. I just replaced mine, and used some lock tight on it. Other than that, mine was perfect, even the littlest thing, like no staining on the trim from the paint job etc.

I've seen a lot worse from other brands, and heard some real bad things even on Gibson, like trim falling off, but based on what I have and have also seen with other models, the quality is excellent with Hagstrom. They have a lot of B stock models, but most are things like a spot in the paint, so that tells you they are rather fussy. The Agile I have never seen, but seem to be a very well liked guitar as well.
Main Gear
Hagstrom Select Swede- Fender C600 (modded of course) - Peavey PV8
Main Effects
- DSP2024P - MT-2 - Yamaha CO-10M - MXR Phase 90 - BBE Stinger - Ibanez BCL Bi-Mode Chorus
hagstrom totally owns!! a hagstrom ultra swede or super swede or any hagstrom for that matter is way higher quality instrument than any agile. u blind fold someone and give them a hagstrom , theyll tell u that its atleast a 2000 guitar. agile no matter what they are made of will always feel cheap. and not last near as long.
my gear:
Hamer phantom custom!!
hagstrom ultra swede!!
crate vintage club 30!! (amazingest thing ever)
zoom g7.1ut!!
btw i ment 1000. sry
a little high pricing there. but ya ne way amazing stuff
my gear:
Hamer phantom custom!!
hagstrom ultra swede!!
crate vintage club 30!! (amazingest thing ever)
zoom g7.1ut!!
I've played a lot of hagstrom's at local guitar shops (both where I live now and where i lived 5 years ago).
When I bought my agile, I bought it on knowing that i was getting a lot of nice wood for the price, thinking that anything wrong with it I would just change out, and knowing how to do my own setup.
What I got was better then I expected. A set of strings, a very slight neck adjustment, and cutting the nut down a little and it now plays as good as or even better then the hagstroms I've tried over the years, and in my opinion, looks a lot better.

edit: Also intonated it, adjusted the pickups, and adjusted the bridge height.

Edit2: Let my neighbor play it and he didn't want to put it down! He's played for over 20 years, and has owned quite a few guitars. He agrees that my agile is one of the sweetest guitars he's ever played, saying he'll prolly get one as his next guitar.
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Mar 9, 2009,
** I did notice this was an old thread***

I own a lot of guitars including hagstroms viking/super swede I also own an agile 3100.. before i say anything, sorry to all the gear snobs.. the agile hands down winner.. of course I added Giovanni gvh-1 pickups to it and switchcraft switch. The hagrstrom is good, no pickup swap necessary, but the thing is a sit down guitar.. way to heavy, and the neck is different, thin but I can always adjust.. but if you have big hands it can be a problem.. I mischord a lot due to the thinness. If you have small hands it may be the Droid you're looking for. both guitars finish were excellent. so at $370 dollars less (add $65 for pickups) a net you save $300 and you have an arguably slightly better instrument.. however you will not get squat back when you ever try to resell it
Last edited by notryt at Mar 9, 2014,
Don't necro bump
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate