Well currently my guitar (ESP EC-500) has Grover tuners on it, which I find are absolutely awful. They really don't stay in tune enough, i'll have to sit down and tune it for a good 5 minutes. The main problem is the G string (yes rofl...) and I was wondering what can I do to make them stay in tune easier.
I'll admit i've had this guitar a while and haven't changed strings yet... which I presume is the main problem. I was thinking of buying some locking tuners, either Gotoh, Schaller or Sperzel; anyone know where I can find some of these cheap?

So basically, should I buy new strings, get new tuners, both, or is there anything else I can do.

~Thanks
change the strings. while you're changing them tighten the bolts around the tuner and the screws on the back of the headstock. i have grovers on my viper and they never fall out of tune.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
^^^ +1 ^^^
That's a good start! mikeyELite advice is based on the fact that the wood on your guitar will shrink (dry out) some more with age and this loosens the hardware, especially the holes the tuner posts pass thru. Then check the adjustment screws on the tuner keys to see if they're too loose. You may have binding in the nut slot and a nut lube sparingly applied to the slots under each string will help. I would then also check/adjust your intonation.
Moving on.....
One bridge at a time. If new strings don't solve this, then look at changing tuners.
Alot of people have problems with the G string. Mine always seems to be the first to go out of tune as well, on two different guitars. The G string is cursed.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
Alot of people have problems with the G string. Mine always seems to be the first to go out of tune as well, on two different guitars. The G string is cursed.

What guage stings do you use? i once read (can't remember where tho) that unwound 16 and 17 guage strings have very low tuning stability relative to other string guages. Can anyone back this up, or am i getting facts crossed?
Quote by nebiru

Lol I agree completely. I wish my eletric was like my acoustic, that's hardly ever out of tune for me.

+Everyone else
Thanks for the help, it looks like I'll have to get new strings. And i'll check through all the screws and everything you guys said, cheers.
I have factory epi grovers on a LP and its easy to tune and stays in tune very well. Not really any different than my guitars with locking tuners. I have a parts strat with a squire neck and original cheap squire tuners and it stays in tune to. Old strings will give problems and could just be the way you are stringing it.
its not the grovers.

its your guitar setup.

the nut has to be cut right, and the intonation has to be set.
not to mension the action will be better.

so go to your local guitar shop, ask how much a setup costs.
its well worth the money.
Quote by Mad_BOB
What guage stings do you use? i once read (can't remember where tho) that unwound 16 and 17 guage strings have very low tuning stability relative to other string guages. Can anyone back this up, or am i getting facts crossed?

I use 10's on one guitar and 11 or 12's on my other guitar, I forget.

One of my friends is in several local bands and he has like 6 guitars and he suffers the same problem.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Tackleberry
I have factory epi grovers on a LP and its easy to tune and stays in tune very well. Not really any different than my guitars with locking tuners. I have a parts strat with a squire neck and original cheap squire tuners and it stays in tune to. Old strings will give problems and could just be the way you are stringing it.

Haven't strung it at all yet, if I did it would cause more problems lol trust me.

Quote by ILoveGuitar07
its not the grovers.

its your guitar setup.

the nut has to be cut right, and the intonation has to be set.
not to mension the action will be better.

so go to your local guitar shop, ask how much a setup costs.
its well worth the money.

That sounds alright to be honest. I'll have to get hold of some money though...

How much would a setup cost + new strings, on average?
Quote by nebiru

On my acoustic this string always seems to break apart, maybe just as its the thinnest wound string.