its right before the mixolydian
Lydian

Edit: Gin, look at the string names
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
That's why I don't like theory, though I'm learning it. How many names does one thing need?

Or debates, for that matter.

I don't know the name of it off hand, though.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
i think its just F lydian, thanks. that might be a vertical variation of the C major, but im not interested ;D
If you're in the key of C then it's C major - end of.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well Lydian is the 4th step in a major scale so the fourth step in c major is f so therefore its f Lydian
(Sorry for shameless self-promotion) If you guys want a lesson on modes, you can check out a thread I wrote a couple months back in the Bass forum:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955858
Rush Club Member #5
No, if it's "in the key of C" then it's C major....likewise in the absence of any other context then you'd go with C major. It's only going to become F lydian when played over a static backing of F or a vamp that implies the Lydian mode.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Then it's C major. F lydian is not "in C major", F lydian is F lydian - it uses the same notes as C major but that's all. Unless the backing implies it then it's not F lydian, it's still C major. If you're going to say it's F lydian then you could equally say D Dorian, E Phrygian, G mixolydian, A aeolian or B locrian.

He also said "let's say in the key of C"

So it's C major.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
No, if it's "in the key of C" then it's C major....likewise in the absence of any other context then you'd go with C major. It's only going to become F lydian when played over a static backing of F or a vamp that implies the Lydian mode.

You are 100% wrong.
If it's in the key of C major, there are 7 possibilities for different scales which can be derived from it. It depends on what degree of the scale you begin from, Lydian happens to be the IV'th degree, so thus you are playing IV in the Key of C, F Lydian. Same applies if you go to... VI! VI in the key of C is A, A Aeolian. It is not always C major.
And I am going to back up my credibility by saying that I am currently a music performance major in college, and I am in the highest tier of theory classes here - I know my shit.
Rush Club Member #5
I'm 100% right - if you're in the key of C major then those notes are only going to be the C major scale.

Modes are nothing to do with "the note you start from" - modes are defined by the tonal centre, namely whatever it is you're playing over.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
I'm 100% right - if you're in the key of C major then those notes are only going to be the C major scale.

Yes, they will, but they are not all the same scale. Look at the link I provided, it explains it in depth. You are wrong, face it.
Rush Club Member #5
Dude you are wrong. All modes are is different starting points in major scale. So if you were starting on f you would be playing the f lydian scale in c major.

I'm drowning in stupidity here.

I'm right and I suggest you two go back to your theory basics and fill in the gaps in your knowledge. Trust me, I know how modes work - you don't evidently.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

I'm drowning in stupidity here.

I'm right and I suggest you two go back to your theory basics and fill in the gaps in your knowledge. Trust me, I know how modes work - you don't evidently.

are you illiterate? I stated very clearly in my first response that I am a Music Performance major in college, I am in the highest level of theory classes there are in my school.

To say that the modal scales are separate from your major scales is like saying a first inversion 7th chord is a separate entity from its root position! Or saying a drop chord isn't an inversion! **** man, you have to be kidding me.

Modes are derived from scales, that's all there is to it. You can define a mode as a displaced scale, but it all occurs from the same key. Yes, for soloing you can use different modes on a root, but that is not the argument here. In theory, F lydian is the IVth degree of C major. That is that.
Rush Club Member #5
Quote by TomD03
are you illiterate? I stated very clearly in my first response that I am a Music Performance major in college, I am in the highest level of theory classes there are in my school.

What do you want, a cookie?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
What do you want, a cookie?

Nice retort.
The fact is that I am correct, and you can not prove me wrong. This is tried and true theory, now please, let the man rest knowing he has an answer and stop responding. If you want to argue shit with me, PM me, this is just taking up space.
Rush Club Member #5
well F Lydian uses all the notes in the key of C so yes it could be a derivation of the C major scale, but i was asking what particular scale that was. which is the lydian

if you do an E pentatonic in the key of C that odesnt mean your playing a C major scale, it means your playing the E pentatonic

still in key just not the same scale. the major scale has a 8-10-12,8-10-12,9-10-12,9-10-12,8-10-12,8-10-12 fingering pattern

so like i just wanted Lydian.

those notes are classifed as Lydian, humans are meant to classify...thats why god gave us the platypus
Those notes will ONLY be F Lydian when played over the correct backing, if you play those notes over a progression that resolves to C or a C major chord then they're C major, and if you play them with no backing in isolation then it's all going to resolve to C.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

those will only be F lydian when you are playing F lydian.

dropping what you play behind the scale, you have F lydian. correct?
Quote by TomD03
Nice retort.
please, let the man rest knowing he has an answer and stop responding. If you want to argue shit with me, PM me, this is just taking up space.

/thread.

Someone with sense. Nicely done.

Class is often the best argument

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Haha thanks.

Thought it was worth a laugh or two.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by seankellyultgtr
those will only be F lydian when you are playing F lydian.

dropping what you play behind the scale, you have F lydian. correct?

You can only play in F lydian if you have a suitable backing - if there's no backing to cement a tonal centre then the mode doesn't exist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Those notes will ONLY be F Lydian when played over the correct backing, if you play those notes over a progression that resolves to C or a C major chord then they're C major, and if you play them with no backing in isolation then it's all going to resolve to C.

Actually, I get that. Modes rely on backing chords otherwise mode is.... nothing really.
Quote by steven seagull
You can only play in F lydian if you have a suitable backing - if there's no backing to cement a tonal centre then the mode doesn't exist.

I believe this is 100% correct.

And put the notes in here. The first result is C Major and because it was stated that we are in the KEY OF C here it is exactly that. The C Major scale.
Last edited by Vince_AC at Nov 6, 2008,
See, this is why, while I agree that theory is necessary past a certain point of beginner-ism and helpful, I think it's annoying and confusing to a lot of people.

One progression, one name. That should be it. Too much like chemistry, not enough like music.

Still valuable once you figure it out, though.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you