I realize there has probably been a thread that has discussed this but i want a straight-forward answer. I want to be able to play and record through my computer. I am planning on buying a line 6 pod x3 but I was wondering what else I will need, such as sound card, and recording software. My budget is fairly small say 200-300 dollars after I buy the pod.
It has a USB out. That'll record to your computer. Just get a good sequencer software like Reaper to complement it. Audacity can work too, though it isn't good for fitting together multiple tracks.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
if ur getting the x3 live u can get some great tones out of that thing..i own the x3 live and record through steinberg..to elaborate on ur initial question..
ur x3 will be ur "sound card" so to speak. i'd recommend not to use audacity and go for something a little more upscale. look into steinberg's cubase or protools. i personally use cubase and love the interface and usability..honestly all of these softwares are pretty much the same, but do offer different "perks" so to speak. i've been recording for about 5 years and have never had one complaint about cubase-just make sure ur computer is up to speed (a lot of ram b/c these softwares EAT CPU). do some searching for recording software and see what u like best. let me know if u need any more tips
Quote by jellz77
if ur getting the x3 live u can get some great tones out of that thing..i own the x3 live and record through steinberg..to elaborate on ur initial question..
ur x3 will be ur "sound card" so to speak. i'd recommend not to use audacity and go for something a little more upscale. look into steinberg's cubase or protools. i personally use cubase and love the interface and usability..honestly all of these softwares are pretty much the same, but do offer different "perks" so to speak. i've been recording for about 5 years and have never had one complaint about cubase-just make sure ur computer is up to speed (a lot of ram b/c these softwares EAT CPU). do some searching for recording software and see what u like best. let me know if u need any more tips

He cant use ProTools as he doesnt have the ProTools hardware to go with it...

Reaper
Cubase
Sonar

All good sequencer brands, look into those.