basically, my brother's moving out and my dad's pressuring me into buying his mg100dfx

he claims its really good, i say its really not (i'm saving up for a tube amp) and i say stuff like, its only paying for the marshall name, its all power nothing else etc.

anything else i can say to him to persuade him to realise i don't need it... i cant jjust say Mgs suck lollo

i dont intend this to be a flame war because to be honest its only in my opinion i dont like it, and from others i have heard reasonable arguyments from.
Why not take him down and plug into one then plug into the amp you want. The proof is in the pudding.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
  • It's not good quality, reliability OR sound-wise.

• It's just a very loud version of this:

• It's YOUR money and you should be able to spend it how YOU wish.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
IMHO the new wave of MG-FDX's sound awesome.

*FLAME SHIELD UP!!!*

**** popular opinion, trust your ear. Before judging, go jam on one and see how you like it. If you hate it, don't buy it. I had a Line 6 Spider III 75W and I returned if for a marshall MG.

*FLAME SWORD EQUIPPED!!!*

Theres better, I know, but I'm happy with my choice after shopping around, so any nay sayers can suck it.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Tell him that it's a horrible amp for the price, it's just an oversized practice amp, it sounds digital and fizzy, it's not built well, people only buy it because it says Marshall on the front and you want something better than it.

Above all make sure that you tell him that he doesn't understand what makes an amp a good amp and that you don't want it (in a nice way of course).
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
having been suckered into an MG myself when i was young, i can say they are not COMPLETELY terrible. if you properly EQ the clean channel and stick a nice pedal in front, you can coax a low volume semi-decent distorted tone out of it, but its distortion channel is flat and muddy, thin and hollow sounding, the effects are cheap sounding and not realistic, (reverb/chorus) etc. the MG could be made into a decent buy if they weren't so massively overpriced. i bought the MG15DFX for 180. i say a good retail price for it would have been around 90. and also, its all about your preference personally. i like the sound of my Epi Valve jr. half stack over my MG. some people like the Tone an MG100 gives. its not for me, its not for most, it may not be for you. thats what you need to tell your dad. this amp, while having one or two minor good things about it, is not the amp you need or want.
Yngwie Malmsteen plays with a little MG series and so does Zakk Wylde. I've got an MG50DFX and it sounds great at low volumes only. My main amp is a 1959SLPX Marshall Plexi and when I jam on my MG it keeps me satisfied...
The Marshall MG series is considered to be a dangerous form of musical instrument amplification because it decreases the aural recognition of high pitched frequencies in infants and small birds by as much as 60%.
Quote by gizmodious
IMHO the new wave of MG-FDX's sound awesome.

*FLAME SHIELD UP!!!*

**** popular opinion, trust your ear. Before judging, go jam on one and see how you like it. If you hate it, don't buy it. I had a Line 6 Spider III 75W and I returned if for a marshall MG.

*FLAME SWORD EQUIPPED!!!*

Theres better, I know, but I'm happy with my choice after shopping around, so any nay sayers can suck it.

That's what I thought when I got mine, but soon after I decided to shop around again and THEN I realised that it sucked badly for the price. There are so many better amps out there for a better price. Their smaller version are OK as practise amps, but cranked, most of them sound bad.
Quote by MoleMania
That's what I thought when I got mine, but soon after I decided to shop around again and THEN I realised that it sucked badly for the price. There are so many better amps out there for a better price. Their smaller version are OK as practise amps, but cranked, most of them sound bad.

Agreed. I use my MG30DFX for practicing around the house, but when I go jam with the band we all pulled and bought a Mesa Boogie rig. 4x12 Stilleto Cab... I generally come back from practice deaf
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by Mase947
Yngwie Malmsteen plays with a little MG series and so does Zakk Wylde. I've got an MG50DFX and it sounds great at low volumes only. My main amp is a 1959SLPX Marshall Plexi and when I jam on my MG it keeps me satisfied...

No they don't, they endorse them but they don't use them.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Pure and simple tell him you dont want it. If you dad likes it so much he can buy from your brother and give it to you for christmas.
Go to a store, play it, then play a tube Marshall 100-watt stack. If he doesn't hear the bloody difference, tell him you don't want it. Not only should he respect your opinion, but it's really just an overly-loud, overly-large, overly-heavy practice amp.

*gets nibbled away by MG users* Flameshield, why do you fail me...?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Show him the amp you want, and let him hear the difference.

Or show him my sig
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff