Ive been playing alot lately, practicing mostly technique rather than playing songs. Ive been working on my tremelo picking religiously, but I had a friend tell me I was doing it wrong. He said that I should NOT use my wrist at all when tremelo picking, just my thumb. I was wondering if either of these ways were "Correct" and which way should I practice?
How long have you been playing and why are you so bothered about tremolo picking?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
WOW how the frick can someone tremolo pick with their thumb?! Don't do it that way... Practice using the wrist/arm... I honestly dont know how it is physically possible to play guitar by picking with your thumb... That's an absolutely awful technique! Plz don't listen to ur friend, he's crazy! Sry if that was harsh, i'm just a little amped up today...
Ive been playing almost 8 months now. I'm really not that concerned about it I would just like some direction and oppinion so I know I'm practicing the right thing rather than put time and effort into a "wrong" technique.
It's fine! What I mean is with a pick, but only using the motion of the thumb.
Last edited by 6_months_N at Nov 6, 2008,
Tremolo picking is all in the wrist, but honestly it's not all that useful in the greater scheme of things - I wouldn't make a particular effort to learn it at this stage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm not sure if I should make a new thread but where should I begin to learn to solo(I already understand scales but I can't seem the apply them to Music) Tremolo picking is not an important part of soloing?
It's so hard to use just the motion of the thumb... and seems so much easier to use the arm and wrist. I guess I thought I was cheating by doing it the "Easy" way. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Quote by 6_months_N
I'm not sure if I should make a new thread but where should I begin to learn to solo(I already understand scales but I can't seem the apply them to Music) Tremolo picking is not an important part of soloing?

Unless you plan on starting out with Eruption, not really. Speed comes with time. Learn some solos, and keep progressively moving to harder ones, and it'll come to you. You can't really work directly on speed, like i said, it just comes. It's more about accuracy, and muscle memory, which take time to build up.
Quote by 6_months_N

not for scale type stuff, you cant just tremolo pick and rush your fingers up the neck, you have to start slow, with it otherwise your playing wont be clean.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
i mainly use tremolo picking when play black metal but other than that i use it when soloing.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Quote by 6_months_N

Not particularly no, there seems to be some misguided belief that it's some sort od secret to fast playing and it's nothing of the sort. You'd use tremolo picking to embellish a solo but it's rarely something you'd rely on for the bulk of it, most guitarists probably use it less than 1% of the time they're playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i hate when people make rules when it comes to playing, its all about what works for you and what sounds good. so honestly do whatever you are comfortable with. you dont have to listen to your freind
89' fender strat
gibson sg specail with grover tuners
standard tele
ibenez gio bass
takamine eg334sc
72'martin d-15
skbps-45 board, lots of pedals
peavey tripple xxx head w/ marshall cab
Tremolo picking, in my opinion, is the less useful of abilities even behind natural harmonics(which I find no use for) It's not really needed, there are little solos that use it or songs in general, however if you wanna learn it: wrist movement.
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.