Trying to learn the rhythm part of Killswitch Engage's cover of Holy Diver. At the end of the solo there is a harmony part for both guitars. The problem I have is that when I lift my finger from the D-string to play a note on the B during this section, the open D sounds, and as this motion is repeated the noise just builds up.

I've tried pulling off slowly or at different angles but I can't stop it. My habit has always been just to learn riffs that I like the sound of and I have never taken lessons..

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated =D
can you let off the note without completely letting go of the string? that's all i can tell with the description you're giving. can you post a youtube video and a link to it from here to show what is happening? i'm self-taught as well so i couldn't tell you what the right way would be. that's a great song though, keep at it.
try and use either hand to mute it
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Quote by haz_uk
practice not doing what you're doing.

ain't rocket science, fella.

I disagree, I would say that I need to change my technique to remedy this

Quote by rkennett79
can you let off the note without completely letting go of the string? that's all i can tell with the description you're giving. can you post a youtube video and a link to it from here to show what is happening? i'm self-taught as well so i couldn't tell you what the right way would be. that's a great song though, keep at it.

I don't really have access to a video camera at the moment, but if you want an idea of the problem then grab your guitar. Plug it in, crank up the gain, play (for example) the 12th fret of the G-string, and pull your finger away from the fretboard. The resulting open note is what I'm trying to avoid
Can you point us to the tab you're using and specify the exact part you're talking about?
i still have the same answer in addition to tdrules. use your other finders or you picking hand to keep it mute.