Hey guys, i need to hand in a report about this book tomorrow. I've been really busy these past weeks and haven't been able to read the whole book (ony like a third of it). Now, based on what I know I can't answer these questions, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips.

How are Raskolnikov and Svidrigailov alike?
What happens to Raskolnikov in the Siberian prison camp?

I hope someone could shed light. I don't really expect long essays of explaination, just the basic answers to these two and I can make the rest up myself

Last edited by zwound at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by *powerslave*
1. By extensive fapping
2. They got raped

Actually I have no idea, sorry

Well, thanks for the bump, i guess
Quote by zwound
Well, thanks for the bump, i guess

haha, no problem, Allthough it is possible they were worked extensivley in the Siberian camps, but thats only from my knowledge of gcse history, and probably doesnt apply to the book
From wikipedia:

"Despite his apparent malevolence, Svidrigailov is similar to Raskolnikov in regard to his random acts of charity. He fronts the money for the Marmeladov children to enter an orphanage (after both their parents die), gives Sonia five percent bank notes totalling three thousand rubles, and leaves the rest of his money to his juvenile fiancée."

If you're not going to read the book, at least google it.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Quote by nodice182
From wikipedia:

"Despite his apparent malevolence, Svidrigailov is similar to Raskolnikov in regard to his random acts of charity. He fronts the money for the Marmeladov children to enter an orphanage (after both their parents die), gives Sonia five percent bank notes totalling three thousand rubles, and leaves the rest of his money to his juvenile fiancée."

If you're not going to read the book, at least google it.

ofcourse. How didn't i think of this before. But i did google it and read a few essays. I did read wikipedia for other questions, but I guess I missed this one.

kudos!
Quote by ginjaninja
accept the concequences of your actions.

go tell your teacher/whoever.

tl;dr grow a pair

I'm not scared of the teacher. It's just easier to do this with wiki (and google) and still get a good grade. Whilst i regret not reading it due to lack of time, my teacher is unreasonable, and he will just give me an F and start find excuses to prosecute further.

All in all, the diploma is all that matters. Not how you got it.
(obviously SPOILERS)

I read it a while ago, but isn't Svidrigailov the man who is going to marry Raskolnikov's sister? If so, surely they both love her? Also, I may be misremembering, but doesn't Raskolnikov disclose a lot of personal information to him, possibly showing some sort of respect? Also, they both harbour suicidal thoughts at some point.

The second question is much easier to answer, he gets ill, is (IIRC) alienated from the other prisoners, but right at the end of the book he accepts redemption. This is all in the appendices, so if you just read them you'll be able to easily verify this and answer for yourself.
Quote by The_Sad_Panda
(obviously SPOILERS)

I read it a while ago, but isn't Svidrigailov the man who is going to marry Raskolnikov's sister? If so, surely they both love her? Also, I may be misremembering, but doesn't Raskolnikov disclose a lot of personal information to him, possibly showing some sort of respect? Also, they both harbour suicidal thoughts at some point.

The second question is much easier to answer, he gets ill, is (IIRC) alienated from the other prisoners, but right at the end of the book he accepts redemption. This is all in the appendices, so if you just read them you'll be able to easily verify this and answer for yourself.

Thank you for the input! UG saves my day, once again
I just remembered that Svidrigailov wasn't going to marry Rasolnikov's sister at any point, that was Petrovich IIRC. However, Svidrigailov didn't want Petrovich to marry her, and neither did Raskolnikov. Svidrigailov also allegedly had cheated on his ex-wife with Raskolnikov's sister and disgraced her, but this turned out to be untrue. Everything else I said about Svidrigailov still stands though.
You really should read it, it's definitely one of the best books I've ever read.