I would personally recommend the GSR over the Squier, just 'cause I've been playing the GSR nearly 2 years now, so yeah. The GSR has a pretty damn thin neck and the P-bass will have a thicker one, but the difference isn't huge afterall. I have an Ashdown, so I'd recommend the make, but I'm not sure about the perfect 10.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Can't go wrong with the Ibby, I've played my friends quite alot, plays great, sounds awesome for the price, but then again I've also played the Squier and loved it too, they're both really good basses, and ideally you should go try them out first to see which one you like the feel of more.

As for amps, Ashdown have a pretty good rep on these boards, I can't comment on that particular amp, but all the ashdowns I've used have been awesome, also look to check out this.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/24886
Again, try amps out, you might discover something even better.

Quote by Rywad
The GSR has a pretty damn thin neck and the P-bass will have a thicker one, but the difference isn't huge afterall.

This is true, but remember this Squier has a Jazz Bass neck, so it's alot thinner than standard P-bass necks

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I like the look of the squier, which is wierd because i usually hate those kinda basses ha.
Personally I would reccommend the ibanez, its a good solid bass and in my opinion one of, if not THE best starter bass. The perfect ten is also a great starter amp, sounds great for a low price =] it has a simple EQ (bass, mid, treble) which helps you get used to using one (personally I wouldn't start with a graphic EQ to be honest). The volume is fine also =]

Of course, this is no substitute to heading off to your music shop and trying them out, so I would reccommend you did that. Maybe also try the vintage modified squiers if you're willing to spend the extra cash, as they are certainly worth it. Ask about your options in your price range, and only take what the person serving you says as advice. The final decision is down to the bass you feel most comfortable with =]
-Gear-
Ibanez SR-500
Epiphone EJ-200
PRS SE EG (SSH version)
Ashdown Perfect Ten 30w
Ashdown ABM500 Evo II

Based in Birmingham, available for any bass work.
MSN or email narcolepsy_patrol@hotmail.co.uk
Im gonna recommend the Ibanez as well, i own this beauty and rate it over the Squiers i've played; the thin neck is so fast, and it manages to be extremely tonally diverse whilst looking brilliant. That said, the squier still looks pretty sweet, and is also a great beginning bass.

Of course, this is all my opinion, see if you can try them both out somewhere, or as close to as possible.
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
GSR all the way
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I would go with the Ibanez GSR200.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
ibanez. it wins. pure and total win. active, extra pickup, and just awesomeness.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Ibanez make solid basses. I lurves my Ibby.

But here's the scoop. We're not going to have to live with this bass, you are. So...go to your local dealer and try both of them out. One is going to connect with you better than the other, soundwise and playability wise. Really, neither is a poor choice for a starter.
Yeah I've got a GSR200 and its great.
It has a really nice thin neck.
The Squire is nice but I would shell out 10$ more to get the Ibanez.

Ashdown makes some pretty reliable stuff. So it should work decently.
id get the gsr over THAT squier, but the VM squiers are better
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...