Ok, so I want to record and produce some solo stuff of me playing guitar/bass/drums and vocals for fun to get used to producing and recording ...

so, what computer programmes should i download (i am cool with torrents :devil. preferably they are easy to use :P

and my friend wants to know how long bands usually take to write/record their first EP
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
depends, If you have a sound card or even mixer id suggest line in. But I am lazy and I use audacity with built in lap top mic. It works for most part - just need to control your environment noise just like in a studio.
My band is about to embark on a self recording/producing stint.

Basically we've got an 8 channel mixer with a USB out, into a MacBook Pro and then Protools.

I'm looking forward to the long, hard days of self recording/producing lol.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
yeah it would but unless you are recording live its pointless. you just need a good guitar/mic to usb interface and a recording program that as a grid to lay your tracks.
Quote by GaijinFoot
yeah it would but unless you are recording live its pointless. you just need a good guitar/mic to usb interface and a recording program that as a grid to lay your tracks.

How would you record drums adequately with that?

Drums you would need at least 6/7 channels. Mix it up on the mixer, then output into a computer and record it to one track.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I'd go with something you purchase. :roll

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
It took us months to finish our EP. But that's cos we had to keep doing little bits a couple of times a week, thenI had to mic it all.

Go to the Riffs and Recording's forum, read the info sticky, then ask a question with your newly aquired knowledge!
It took us months too. Sure, only two days of recording bed tracks, but lots of guitar and vocal layers, and we spent a ton of time mixing. And then we had to re-record one of the songs. Argh!

We started the July 1 weekend and had our CD release party a year later. We got the discs back from the manufacturers in March or April. So... it can take a while.

I always tell clients that how long it takes to do a CD depends on how much time you want to spend sweating over how small a detail.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
It took us months too. Sure, only two days of recording bed tracks, but lots of guitar and vocal layers, and we spent a ton of time mixing. And then we had to re-record one of the songs. Argh!

We started the July 1 weekend and had our CD release party a year later. We got the discs back from the manufacturers in March or April. So... it can take a while.

I always tell clients that how long it takes to do a CD depends on how much time you want to spend sweating over how small a detail.

CT

Haha we recorded one ours completely in 9 hours (started at 12 finished around half 8) and mixed it in a further 4 hours the next day. Then again, we'd played the songs for years by then and we all knew what kind of sound we were going for. So, 13 hours invested in a 4 track EP with minimal overdubbing is quite good then?
I have recorded a couple of bands like that. It really is a trade off between how fast you want to work, and how you want to work. When I recorded those bands, they could live with little mistakes. We didn't. They could live with only two guitar tracks. We didn't. They really didn't have any solos. We did. They had no harmonized and layered backing vocals. We did. They had four tracks on the drums. We had seven.

I mixed their stuff in a night. I spent about two months on ours, and then wasn't totally happy, so I did it again.

So many other differences....

CT

my band wrote our first album (12) in about 12 hours total. just because u spend more time on your music, doent mean its going to be better. that being said, dont rush it, or it will turn out shit. just let it flow.

*the 12 hours were spread out over a period of about 2 months cuz we dont practice as much as id like :/
Quote by ajmasterjaydude
just because u spend more time on your music, doent mean its going to be better.

Well, that's partly true when you consider the law of diminishing returns. If you spend four years or ten years on an album isn't going to make that much difference probably, but I will venture to say that there will be a huge difference between two weeks and six months.

And when you're talking about recording, the same applies. You can spend three years mixing something, but it's not going to be that much better than it was after about six months. However, spending a month mixing something will produce far superior results to spending two days mixing something.

CT

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
my band wrote our first album (12) in about 12 hours total. just because u spend more time on your music, doent mean its going to be better. that being said, dont rush it, or it will turn out shit. just let it flow.

actually, spending more time on an album will make it better the majority of the time (but I mean look at Chinese Democracy..). And I would call 12 hours for a whole album rushing it...
Quote by ajmasterjaydude

*the 12 hours were spread out over a period of about 2 months cuz we dont practice as much as id like :/

I'd be interested in hearing the end result. I do notice that there is no music in your profile, because I went there to try to hear it.

A bunch of +/-15 year olds writing an album in 12 hours... Crap... I'm damned lucky to get one song out in twelve hours. (by song, I mean melody, lyrics, chords.... not just a bunch of riffs strung together)

I make that comparison too because one person can write a song faster than a group of people, usually, because with one person, what you say goes - end of story. With more, there is a tendency to discuss ideas, share alternatives, and make compromises.

CT

i can usually get the bare bones of a song in 1-2 hours. But after a while, you start to get obsessive over details, like how the strings sound synth-y (although that's because they are) or something.

That (probably) only happens when you self-produce.
Quote by heminder

GAY, doesn't work on windows

I started with KRISTAL, it's really easy to use.
Quote by axemanchris

A bunch of +/-15 year olds writing an album in 12 hours... Crap... I'm damned lucky to get one song out in twelve hours. (by song, I mean melody, lyrics, chords.... not just a bunch of riffs strung together)

well Dave Grohl wrote, recorded and produced the first foo fighters album in 45 minutes per song, but then again that guy is a heavily inspired machine, especially at that time with Kurt's suicide etc
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Chozz
GAY, doesn't work on windows

I started with KRISTAL, it's really easy to use.

Quote by heminder
that's a good thing...

heminder; Are you one of those brainwashed Apple nuts with a portrait of Steve Jobs on your wall?

Chozz, Pro Tools is probably better anyway.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by BrickIsRed
heminder; Are you one of those brainwashed Apple nuts with a portrait of Steve Jobs on your wall?.

Apple... ?
hell no...

Linux, dude...
the free world...