This may be a stupid question but I found a used Ibanez Jem555 wit hevolution pickups and I jsut wanted to make sure it would be able to pull off slayer, metallica, pantera, death and all the higher gain forms of metal. I play metal, rock, with alittle blues sometimes. Was just wondering if a jem would sound good for metal or a bit thin.

If I dont get the jem I will most likely buy a used Jackson Dk2 and put an active set of blackouts in it. Im pretty sure SD makes active single coils anyways.

Will the Jem do metal well?
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Jems will do anything well

Evo's are very high output so im guessing they would be good for metal, i can get real heavy tones from my Evo's, although i dont use them for that
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
i envy u, i want a jem ridiculously bad. even if everyone on ug told me they were the mg of guitars, id still buy one just cause they look so badass
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
if you pump too much gain through the single coil it gets kinda buzzy, but their natural high gain kinda makes up for it, but yeah it would work
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
The Jem will do metal no doubt but do you really want an edge III?
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
The Jem will do metal no doubt but do you really want an edge III?

Used from when they used to use Edge II's on them. Thats the only way I'm able to afford such a nice guitar. When playing metal I wouldnt touch the single coil and probably stay on bridge most of the time. Just worried I will get no chunk to my tone with the basswood.

A Dk2 with a full set of actives is pretty damn sexy too. The months of waiting guitarless is paying off for sure.

Btw I remember reading Edge II's were good, are they OFR quality or like a jackson poor mans FR type thing?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
there not great, just slightly better then the III, but still not good
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
it not a guitar that you would play death metal with but it's good for power metal though.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Steve wanted a smooth and very versatile sound from the Evo's, he wanted tone from both ends of the spectrum, but he know he was never going to play much metal so didnt require metal tone from them, but if you want an alternative you could swap the Evo's for Breed's, they have a slightly fatter 'Mid' to them that might suit metal slightly better, bad horsie im pretty sure was recorded with Breeds (Jem 77brmr) and also Ya Yo Gak, using the Breed7's in a UV777, both of which have quite fat, high gain metalish tones
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
Jem555's are junk, and so are Edge II's.

Edit - Sorry, that came off as ridiculously harsh. I'm just trying to save you some time, cut right to the chase.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Nov 6, 2008,
never noticed it was a 555, i would spend my money on a prestige RG rather than the 555, as stated they are pretty much junkers, damn sweet looking junkers albeit, you are paying a lot of money to have Steve's name on the neck. you could always tipex it onto the prestige

find out what year it is because im not sure when the moved production to there indonesian plant
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
Its a 2001 model appearently, and now im starting t owant ot go for the jackson. A never thought a jem would be crap:S Im buying it used for 750$ canadian. What do you guys think?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Nov 6, 2008,
I am suppose to meet the guy in a few hours so im really stuck now. Any help is appreicated . Sorry for the short notice.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Done some research and it seems its not a real jem... jem555's made in non japan factories and such. I'll go for a jackson and add some SD actives. Thanks all for warning me from wasting alot of money.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
^ good call
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bad Horsie anyone?

The JEM555 isn't a great purchase but some people have upgraded 555s and come out with nice guitars, though this can end you in JEM price range anyway.

As for buying a JEM, on ebay you can score soem nice JEMs for around the same price as a (new) 555, I've seen three JEM77BSBs on there all for £400-£500 (which I nearly cried at, not having the money ) which is around the price of a JEM555, you get other various models for around this price too (Blue sparkle, sometimes the floral ones, I've seen that black textured one, I'm terrible with model names today for some reason )

But yeah, if you're getting a JEM I'd suggest go all out, used or new.
get a jackson i say.
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Dk2 with livewires in its HSS, sounds good to me, any objections?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
any chance you could save for the price of a second hand Jem 7v off ebay? those guitars are too good.
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
srry for thread jacking

Zeds.Ded is the crybaby wah any good?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
its just the original one, not great but does the job, im thinking of changing though
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
always wear a condom. make love, not babies.
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg