I recently bought myself a 7-string Ibanez X-series Xiphos. I tried it out several times at the store and just loved it. Everything about it looked and felt great (to me at least). And then I got it home. Played with it for an hour or so and began to like it even more. BUT (you knew it was coming)... then I installed the strap buttons (since for some reason they came un-attached) and figured I'd give it a try while wearing the strap.

Ugh... Now, I was aware that there was a design flaw with the Xiphos (both 6-string and 7-string) with the placement of the strap buttons where the guitar would sit unbalanced and would "sag" because the neck side was too heavy. This is not the problem (although it may be the cause). The problem is that it is incredibly difficult, and nearly impossible in some cases, to make wide finger stretches on the neck that I could otherwise make easily with my other guitars.

I can make these stretches fine if I'm sitting down or nipple-riding the guitar while standing, but not if the guitar is at normal playing height (belt level). I'm not sure if this is due to the poor strap placement or the thicker 7-string neck. Likely it's a combination of both. Has anyone else had this problem with one of their guitars before? Has anyone found a solution?

A lot of the original songs that my band plays has some awkward streches in a lot of the riffs. Most of them I can still manage, but the one that I just can't do anymore is stretching from the 7th fret on low B to the 11th and 12th frets on A. I've since transposed these notes to the 6th and 7th fret respectively on the D string, but it's really not the optimal finger placement.

Wow... That's a lot more information than I wanted to type (and probably way more than anyone wanted to read). Anyway, any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations?
Quote by stephen_rettie
raise your strap?

Quote by Erkekjetter
I can make these stretches fine if I'm sitting down or nipple-riding the guitar while standing

Nipple-riding IMO is not an acceptable way to wear your guitar on stage. It's also not very comfortable for me at all.
Just move the strap buttons, i've heard of this problem with the xiphos, (you can probably find one or two people who own a xiphos, and had to move the strap buttons,)and ask them where they moved the strap button to...
Yeah you could get a luthier(sp?) to move the strap locks, might edit finish slightly but it will increase your playability
Manchester United
Quote by Killedelphia19
Just move the strap buttons, i've heard of this problem with the xiphos, (you can probably find one or two people who own a xiphos, and had to move the strap buttons,)and ask them where they moved the strap button to...

Yeah, I was planning on doing that anyway before I had even bought it, but in all honesty it's really not that bad. Your arm just gets a little tired after a while since you're playing AND holding up the guitar slightly as well. No biggie though.

That being said, I take back my previous gripes about the Xiphos being difficult to play. After a nice 3 hour jam session (first one with this baby) it feels like I've been playing it forever. By the end I was so comfortable with it I nearly forgot that it was a new guitar. Dare I say I was almost playing better than with my more familiar, comfortable 6-string guitars. You definitely feel like you can pull of the "impossible" when you're really getting into it and feeling the intensity and brutalness of it all.

I love this guitar.
Quote by Erkekjetter
Nipple-riding IMO is not an acceptable way to wear your guitar on stage. It's also not very comfortable for me at all.

If its a comfort problem that's one thing, but I'd rather sound good on stage than look cool.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Vecheka
If its a comfort problem that's one thing, but I'd rather sound good on stage than look cool.

I normally would tend to agree with you, but half of any show is stage presence. I'd have a hard time giving it my all if I knew that I looked ridiculous doing it. Happy mediums would be the best compromise. High enough so you can still play it, but low enough so it stills feels good and comfortable.

Although for me that point is moot now.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Nov 7, 2008,