Hi folks.

I started playing acoustic at the ripe old age of 29. I'm 30 this month!

I have a basic acoustic and originally, the strings were too much for my fingers so I changed them for 10's.

I then realised that it was likely the action, so had a local luthier fit a Bone nut.

So, now I want a little more tone and volume, so thicker strings are the way forward.

Currently using Elixir coated jobbies in 10 as I said.

What can I risk going to without needing my nut re-cut?

11? 12 at a push?

Cheers.
I would start with 11's, and then if those work good move up to 12's, and then even 13's if you want to (what I use on my acoustic). I would just go up one guage at a time, if for no other reason than to help your fingers adjust easlily.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Quote by ninjafingers
I would start with 11's, and then if those work good move up to 12's, and then even 13's if you want to (what I use on my acoustic). I would just go up one guage at a time, if for no other reason than to help your fingers adjust easlily.

So you don't think that a nut, cut for 10's, will have a problem with 11's?
Well it could be bad for the neck if too high a gauge is put on aswell, I'd suggest talking with the guy who did your nut about it.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by renegade2031
Well it could be bad for the neck if too high a gauge is put on aswell, I'd suggest talking with the guy who did your nut about it.

Standard string size for an acoustic is 11/12. I have 10's, so I am not worried about neck integrity. I am worried about the larger string binding in the nut.
If the nut is cut for 10's then it should handle 11's with no problem. 12's? might have a little difficulty there.

Did you only get a bone nut? or did you get the saddle as well? The reason why I ask is because the nut generally doesn't affect the action very much--the nut is very rarely the problem. The saddle is where most of the action is adjusted.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
If the nut is cut for 10's then it should handle 11's with no problem. 12's? might have a little difficulty there.

Did you only get a bone nut? or did you get the saddle as well? The reason why I ask is because the nut generally doesn't affect the action very much--the nut is very rarely the problem. The saddle is where most of the action is adjusted.

It was mainly fret levelling and the nut was chewed up. When he tried to sort the nut out, it turned out to be hollow so he put a nice shiny bone one on for me.

I think he dropped the saddle slightly, but given the quality of the guitar, it was perceived that a bone saddle wouldn't add much to the tone.

So. 11's should fit ok and provide a little deeper tone and volume?

What are the string sizes for 11's? e.011 then what? What about low E .054?
Umm... 11's are like 11, something something something... then the thickest is may b e .53 or .52. It changes for each brand so yea... it's not too big of a deal.

11's should be a bit better for deeper tone and volume.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.