Ok ive been playing now for about 3 months now. Before i played guitar a bloke from my local guitar store told me to get the basics down first no matter how long it takes. He told me to be serious about the basics and don't bypass it. So i have kept to that guite well but i have sometimes learnt a few of my favorite songs at the end of each practice session. Anywhere i have mainly been practicing my chord changes, keeping rhythm and strumming patterns. My guestion is how many chords do i need to learn before i can continue to the next stage of my playing ?
I'd say thats a load of BS. the last thing I learned was the basics. I started out writing instrumentals with no knowledge of music theory and I turned out fine. granted I did eventually learn the basics, but I'd say if you've got basic chords and scales down and can keep time then move on.
hey ive been playing for 2 1/2 years now and i remember when i first started. Yes, its important to learn the basics and stuff but mix it up well with just a lot of fun and experimentation. Believe me if you **** around as much as u learn real techniques and chords and stuff, youll be surprised how much you learn. at least thats how i started, and ive been doin that ever since....stop by my profile and listen to some songs their all created from ****ing around (theyre not the best but whatevs). Bottom line, learn as many chords as u can and strum and blend them together to see what goes with what. But if u dont feel like hardcore focus practicing...just make up a melody...with chords or not...and make music.

good luck and most of all have fun!
just learn the major and minor and sevens to start out. the rest will come natually. with work, of course.
Don't think of it in terms like that. I've been playing for several years (well, about 14. lol) and I continually revisit basics. There's nothing preventing you from learning what you'd like, the point he was making is that a solid foundation will make it far easier on you down the road. Also, don't just be able to place your fingers somewhere and say "I know that". Make sure you can play them cleanly and can transition between them easily. I've met far too many guitarists who say they "know" somthing but play it (be it a song, chord, scale, whatever) horridly. Being able to do it means being able to do it solid.

If you cut corners you only hurt your own playing.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by whatadrag
I'd say thats a load of BS. the last thing I learned was the basics. I started out writing instrumentals with no knowledge of music theory and I turned out fine. granted I did eventually learn the basics, but I'd say if you've got basic chords and scales down and can keep time then move on.

+1
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all