Well im still learning and dont have much experiance with guitars. I heard someone once mention that basswood guitars are cheap and suck but all the guitars I see that aren't like over $1000 and I like are made of basswood! So is it really that bad or did I just hear wrong?
It kind of depends. Basswood is light but not extremely a good tone wood. Most guitarists I know prefer Mahogony Wood.
It's not bad, and an excellent piece of basswood is better than a shitty piece of something else. But it would not be my first choice of wood. But for budget guitars, it's pretty good.
It's a pretty neutral wood, leaning toward warm. Cuts through very well. Lotsa shredders use Basswood guitars (Satch, Petrucci used to I think, maybe Vai).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
depends on the quality of the basswood, and the tone you're after...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its all opinion.

Mahogany is NOT the end all tone wood.

There is good basswood and there is cheap basswood.

Also, there is good mahogany and there is cheap mahogany.

Personally i like Basswood, as its very neutral and allows you to change the tone drastically with your amp, instead of with mahogany, which is always very dark, or alder, which is always very bright
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Teh GIR
Its all opinion.

Mahogany is NOT the end all tone wood.

There is good basswood and there is cheap basswood.

Also, there is good mahogany and there is cheap mahogany.

+1

not to mention a lot of wood which is not really basswood is called basswood, which gives it a bad name (similar thing happens with mahogany, but the pseudo-mahogany seems to sound a lot better than the pseudo-basswood... at least, it doesn't seem to have given mahogany a bad name as it has with basswood)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wait, what's pseudo-basswood and what's real?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

well, generally if the guitar is too cheap, it's possibly the "fake" basswood... certainly something like a suhr or tom anderson is going to be using "real" basswood...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
One of the things about basswood is the pickup has a lot of influence on the guitar's tone, so you need to be careful to get the right balance between a shrill and thin one or a muddy one.

EDIT: I also agree with Dave and GiR 100%
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Basswood can be amazing just as mahogany can be shite. It depends on the quality. I like basswood tone personally, but once again, depends on the pickups.
Basswood found in budget guitars is NOT the same found in high end guitars...

Basswood (high end) is seen as a "Shredder" wood because of it's warm, but clear tone...

Individual notes/frequencies ring out very well with basswood.
Vai's Jems are Alder wood
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg

Basswood Back / Quilt or Flame Maple Top –
Okay, this may be the Holy Grail of tone. The Basswood response is extended by a 3/16" Maple top adding more clarity and grind to the fatness of the Basswood, this combination is our favorite! Usually colors chosen will be opaque on the back with transparent colors on the top – LP style. It's most excellent with a one-piece Maple neck.

From John Suhr himself.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Paul Gilbert uses basswood in his guitars and his tone is excellent.

WAT
Last edited by Horlicks at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by Zeds.Ded
Vai's Jems are Alder wood

only the white one is alder

all the others are basswood

fun fact: his FLO guitar (the one with the sustainer) is actually one of the floral JEMs repainted white
Quote by oneblackened

Just be realistic. When you see basswood guitars for less than $150 brand new, it's not realistic to expect anything more than a cheap piece of crap.
Basswood dents so easy it's untrue. If you dug your fingernail into an untreated bit of basswood you can dent it, so the applied finish needs to be decent enough to withstand some knocks.

Other than that it's still a "tonewood", is very light and cheap. Ibanez make good use of it as do Parker guitars - although they've got some clever oven baked shananigans going on.

Dexter Holland from The Offspring is one that comes to mind that uses Ibanez guitars made from BW.

Edit: one thing I've leant with anything musical is to a) never write it off and b) always try it first!
Basswood can be brilliant.
Basswood can be crap.
Mahogany can be brilliant.
Mahogany can be crap.
Korina can be brilliant

Yeah, korina's awesome. Anyway.
Depending on how well your neck woods and pickups work with your body wood, it can be very toneful. Very little is to do with the individual woods, I find. I think it's more to do with getting a good balance. But as far as being an individual tonewood goes, basswood can be great. Not as dark as mahogany, not as toppy as ash (for the nitwit who suggested alder sounded too bright, are you aware it's got the most balanced tone of all tonewoods?)

Pseudo-basswood and real basswood are quite different. While the latter is great with note articulation and things, the former is the polar opposite. It's really muddy.

... anybody know if my JS100 is pseudo or genuine basswood? 'cause it's sort of... middle priced. Not a cheapy, but it's no custom shop job.
from what i understand its a pretty light wood and it has a neutral tone to it but i could be wrong
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Horlicks
From John Suhr himself.

That wood combo is what I believe Guthrie Govan uses on several of his Suhr customs, and he gets a REALLY fat yet clear tone from that and his cornfords.
quality basswood is a nice clear sounding wood
mahogany is too dark for some people(me)
and alder is just too perfecto for some people(like me!)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Just get a good Slab of Alder wood.. (FENDER)
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by Rock Pig
Basswood can be brilliant.
Basswood can be crap.
Mahogany can be brilliant.
Mahogany can be crap.
Korina can be brilliant

Yeah, korina's awesome. Anyway.
Depending on how well your neck woods and pickups work with your body wood, it can be very toneful. Very little is to do with the individual woods, I find. I think it's more to do with getting a good balance. But as far as being an individual tonewood goes, basswood can be great. Not as dark as mahogany, not as toppy as ash (for the nitwit who suggested alder sounded too bright, are you aware it's got the most balanced tone of all tonewoods?)

Pseudo-basswood and real basswood are quite different. While the latter is great with note articulation and things, the former is the polar opposite. It's really muddy.

... anybody know if my JS100 is pseudo or genuine basswood? 'cause it's sort of... middle priced. Not a cheapy, but it's no custom shop job.

Is korina even that commonly used? Ive only seen two guitars before (that I knew) that had korina for the wood.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Is korina even that commonly used? Ive only seen two guitars before (that I knew) that had korina for the wood.

not really. Gibson, a few other companies, and small makers are the only ones who use it, I think.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Korina and Koa are more rare, expensive tone woods, but from the looks (well, SOUNDS) of it they're epic. Reb Beach of Winger, Dokken and like 90 other music going-ons has his custom suhr (and formerly his custom Ibanez) with a Koa body, flame koa top, and pau ferrao 22 fret neck, and his guitar sounds AMAZING. Sure, his playing has a lot to do with it, but it's just so warm yet CLEAR and sustains like mad. I'm really tempted to build a guitar with those woods just to try it out.

And Guitar Player had an article on a rockabilly guy and a fusion player that have all korina guitars, and i wound up youtubing them and their sounds were also really insanely good.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Korina and Koa are more rare, expensive tone woods, but from the looks (well, SOUNDS) of it they're epic. Reb Beach of Winger, Dokken and like 90 other music going-ons has his custom suhr (and formerly his custom Ibanez) with a Koa body, flame koa top, and pau ferrao 22 fret neck, and his guitar sounds AMAZING. Sure, his playing has a lot to do with it, but it's just so warm yet CLEAR and sustains like mad. I'm really tempted to build a guitar with those woods just to try it out.

And Guitar Player had an article on a rockabilly guy and a fusion player that have all korina guitars, and i wound up youtubing them and their sounds were also really insanely good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWGQWu6mSWM
there are different qualities of basswood ranging from pretty awful to very good.. but it as a tonewood in itself is neither good or bad. it really just depends what you're looking for.. it tends to have a fairly flat natural response so you can leave the tone shaping up to the amp and pickups.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
/\

Yea! i was hoping someone would post one of those! that the the Cut it Loose clips show off his sound and I believe the Black Magic clip is the one where he actually explains the tonewoods.
my fender mustang was basswood, and it sounded amazing
When the last living thing has died on account of us,
how poetical it would be if Earth could say,
in a voice floating up perhaps from the floor of the Grand Canyon,
"It is done. People did not like it here."
Quote by RG_FANMAN
That wood combo is what I believe Guthrie Govan uses on several of his Suhr customs, and he gets a REALLY fat yet clear tone from that and his cornfords.

yea, guthrie govan is awesome. a lot of that tone is presumably from the cornfords, the guitar's bound to be playing a big part too though.

Quote by Chorduroy

reb beach ftw!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I heard somewhere that korina is actually poisonous if inhaled, another reason its rare because when the luthier is making the body, they have to wear masks and equipment.

Oh, and on Vai's Jem, only his ones with Evos are alder, i guess its because they were designed for alder guitars.

I used to have a set of Evos in my Basswood RG1570, and they were pretty bad to be honest, but ive played a 7W once and it sounded amazing.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!