Sorry I couldn't think of a better title.

My amp buzzes, it's not fret buzz, the buzz doesn't seem to come from the guitar. It's very loud, it completely drowns out the actual tone.

Now for the weird part: it only appears when I play certain tones (for example D#: the 11th fret of the low E string; the 6th fret of the A string and the 1st fret of the D string) from the same octave. Going 1 fret up or down from these cause no problems at all, it's just a clean sound.

When I touch the metal part of the lead running into the amp the buzzing immediately goes. It's not a mechanical solution because doing it with a piece of cloth doesn't stop the buzzing. I think it's something to do with the capacitance of skin.... but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what's going on here?
Any ideas how to fix it?

I'm actually open to wild guesses here, I really don't know what's going on.
Quote by evilnatasking
I can play drums but I have no experience or own any drums.
Probably grounding in the guitar, can you try it on a differant amp?
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Not for a while. When I get the chance I'll do that and get back to you though.

Thanks.
Quote by evilnatasking
If it only happens when you play certain notes, I'm fairly confident it's the amp shaking because you're playing what happens to be the amp as a whole's rensonant frequency. Try isolating the amp by putting it on a big foam block or a pillow or something.
Quote by whiteraven119
If it only happens when you play certain notes, I'm fairly confident it's the amp shaking because you're playing what happens to be the amp as a whole's rensonant frequency. Try isolating the amp by putting it on a big foam block or a pillow or something.

+1. It's either the amp shaking from poor construction, or it's resonating through it thanks to the floor or something nearby (lamps, drums, etc)
but if, when you touch metal on the guitar, the buzzing goes away, then it would
have to do with the grounding of the guitar.

in other words, a cable inside your guitar might have fallen off, or isn't touching any
metal as a ground.
I think the grounding thing sounds more likely, I've tried the amp on different surfaces and there's no change.

I've never completely taken a guitar apart before, should I just be looking for any loose connection? I'll try to look up some info about guitar electronics when I get the time.

Edit: Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate the help.
Quote by evilnatasking
Your guitar should have a ground going off the volume pots to the bridge post or trem claw. Kind of hard to help without knowing the guitar in question
Ah cool, thanks.

It's a squier strat.

I have no screw driver at the mo.
Quote by evilnatasking

check that both wires are still conntected, then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah, they're still connected.
Quote by evilnatasking
make sure your guitar cable is good.

then

what type of guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565

then

what type of guitar?

Quote by In The Zone
Ah cool, thanks.

It's a squier strat.

I have no screw driver at the mo.

I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by jj1565

then

what type of guitar?

It's a pretty new cable, I bought it partly because of this problem.
Quote by evilnatasking
ahh, thanks kev.

TS, take off the back plate, see if the black wire is attached to the metal bar in there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ahh, thanks kev.

TS, take off the back plate, see if the black wire is attached to the metal bar in there.

AHA! I gave it a gentle tug and it just slid out of the solder. Actually now a lot of it's broken away. Quality metalwork there. So I guess I now need a soldering iron.

I've temporarily put the end of the wire into one of the Phillips screw heads and the buzzing problem's gone.

Thank you for the help.

I'm gunna risk looking stupid here because I haven't got any time to be looking this up right now but: What does that wire do?
Quote by evilnatasking
That's the ground, when you touched the plug you grounded it, thus the buzzing stopped. Get that wire fixed and you're golden.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
grounds the bridge. soldering iron kit. about $15. a good glob and dont blow on the solder to cool it.

see if that helps, there could be more than one grounding issue in the guitar, hopefully this is the big one.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Cool. Thank you all again.
Quote by evilnatasking
just post back if anything pops up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I don't think the TS knows what a ground is to be honest

TS: a ground is a connection to earth. Guitars need to be grounded properly or else the current is not going into the ground, and traveling through unwanted parts. That third prong in a wall socket is a ground.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
I don't think the TS knows what a ground is to be honest

TS: a ground is a connection to earth. Guitars need to be grounded properly or else the current is not going into the ground, and traveling through unwanted parts. That third prong in a wall socket is a ground.

I'm aware what grounding is. I'm a postgraduate scientist and engineer, I've dodged electronics in favour of heavier maths and theoretical physics since school, but I still have some basic understanding of electronics.
Quote by evilnatasking