So yeah, i've been working on finger coordination for a long time now and now wanna start building up picking speed, and to do so i wanna really get into learning economy picking, does anyone know any good riffs or songs to play to practice this? maybe starting off slowly and gradually building up speed? also any advice on learning to do it properly?

~thanks in advance
I'm sure you're aware of the basics of the technique so I'll say this: when economy picking across strings make sure you use one fluid movement.

As for things to practice just make sure you apply the idea wherever you can when you're playing and practice lots of three note per string ideas. Also look up music by Frank Gambale, he is the economy picking GOD!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I economy pick almost exclusively, mostly because I never really learned how to alternate pick properly. IMO alternate picking is probably better because the right hand motion stays the same and it will become easier to focus on picking dynamics, speed ect.. with practice. With economy picking you're always changing directions and it can become difficult to maintain a consistent sound across the strings.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
I economy pick almost exclusively, mostly because I never really learned how to alternate pick properly. IMO alternate picking is probably better because the right hand motion stays the same and it will become easier to focus on picking dynamics, speed ect.. with practice. With economy picking you're always changing directions and it can become difficult to maintain a consistent sound across the strings.

If you lack dynamic control then it's not the fault of economy picking, it's your lack of the right kind of practice.

In terms of what can be achieved (speed, control etc) there is no difference between alternate and economy picking.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you lack dynamic control then it's not the fault of economy picking, it's your lack of the right kind of practice.

In terms of what can be achieved (speed, control etc) there is no difference between alternate and economy picking.

With enough practice any technique can be mastered. I'm just saying from my perspective, strict alternate picking would be the easier path, which is why it's more popular.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Thats not true.. Economy picking, with enough practice, can achieve speeds higher than alternate... Simple physics really, straight lines are faster.
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
With enough practice any technique can be mastered. I'm just saying from my perspective, strict alternate picking would be the easier path, which is why it's more popular.

Depends heavily on the line you're trying to play as well, I've come up with a good few licks that really lend themselves to economy picking but I'm naturally an alternate picker, I think it's a good idea to have both techniques in your repertoire so you can change depending on the situation.

Quote by HibyPrime
Thats not true.. Economy picking, with enough practice, can achieve speeds higher than alternate... Simple physics really, straight lines are faster.

In theory yes but in practice there are people who have achieved equal speed with both techniques.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Best way to get it down is to simply apply it to any song you play. WHenever there are 3nps or any combos which allow for economy runs, use it.

3nps scales will also help here.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Play this riff... easy, just a variation of a scale.

-------------------------------------
-----------------------3-6-5-------
-------------3--5--6---------6-5--
-3--5--6---------------------------
I had the idea that economy picking was used to speed up your alternate picking from one string to another. If that is the case then I would assume that economy picking is no better or faster than alternate picking. I think of it as the next level of alternate picking. Alternate picking is just picking up and down and economy picking is the choice of making a up or down pick as you move to a different string. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the goal is to fluidly make it to your 2nd and 3rd string quick as possible and so on. I am have not mastered economy picking but I can alternate pick rather well if I start with a down pick. I have discovered that I lack corridination if I try to do it starting with an up pick so Ive decided to practice alternate picking up as quick as I can pick down hoping to increase the speed of my solos.
Last edited by rebel624 at Nov 12, 2008,
yeh i seem to economy pick without thinking, im no pro at it tho. I think its basically a mix of alternate picking and sweeping. I do want to get better at laternate picking though its just changing strings with alt picking that i cant go i instinctivly sweep so il go down down if im changing string instead of down up.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube