Yeah I've been playing for 7 months, and im progressing pretty well. I know all the pentatonic stuff and scales and I've been playing songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
"Back in Black", etc., minus the solos, and I was wondering if someone could refer me to a site or maybey a book or lesson here on UG, or even give me tips themselves on shred guitar. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I'd like to learn all I can about it.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
shred (the genre) is basically music performed by players of extreme proficiency. It encompasses almost every technique on guitar and is generally fast (but not always).

shredding (the verb) is generally used to denote playing with a high level of proficiency, again usually very fast.

basically, you want to learn to shred?

learn everything you can and get it to a high level by practising (both your technique and writing/compositional skills).

also, 'speed is a byproduct of accuracy' is probably the best approach. playing fast or using exotic techniques will be pointless if the string noise drowns out what you're actually playing.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
shred (the genre) is basically music performed by players of extreme proficiency. It encompasses almost every technique on guitar and is generally fast (but not always).

shredding (the verb) is generally used to denote playing with a high level of proficiency, again usually very fast.

learn everything you can and get it to a high level by practising (both your technique and writing/compositional skills).

pretty much covered it.
start with stuff smaller like van halen(i dont really think of him as shred though), and then go to metallica, and megadeth which is getting into some real shredding(sweeping), and then ynwgie malmsteen who's at the top.
it'll take some time, sweeping is in my opinion the hardest technique.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

also, 'speed is a byproduct of accuracy' is probably the best approach. playing fast or using exotic techniques will be pointless if the string noise drowns out what you're actually playing.

this guy is awesome
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
troy stetina speed mechanics for lead guitar is the greatest book for shred ever. if your practicing: practice slow, pick with wrist, don't get ahead of yourself

and "shred" is, in horribly blunt terms, playing stuff fast as hell.

this is shred
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_S-2FDHyU

this is also shred
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjNAeELQ_Z8

guess what this is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE

shred.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Creative Guitar 1 by Guthrie Govan. Then Creative Guitar 2 by Guthrie Govan. The second one might actually suprass common literature.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
shameless plug so please forgive me

in the song another victim on my profile by my band our co guitars has a really melodic shred sequence
Quote by Guitar Skater
shameless plug so please forgive me

in the song another victim on my profile by my band our co guitars has a really melodic shred sequence

Self promotion when I ask you for help is kinda...sad.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
not progressing that well if you cant even do smells like teen spirit solo
tbh thats progressing really slowly if theyre the best things you can play
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
dude if you can't play smells like teen spirit solo, it will take you at least 50 years to get into shred o.o

to be fair why would you want to play that solo. if you wanna shred break away from pentatonic. learn the natural harmonic and melodic minor scales and all their modes fluildly then start expirimenting with cromatic notes. you'll get there eventually. never learned bothered to learn any solos to any song always improvised and kept doing that till i got more creative faster and all around better instead of learning the teen spirit and back in black solos improvise. first use the pentatonic scale then add notes from the minor scale after you get comfortabe, then once that becomes comfortable add some spicy chromatics. maybe even some effects at first such as wah flanger phaser, ect. to make it sound more pleasent at first as you hit the road bumps.
Quote by MusicLine
Gundam pilota09, i'm happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Moses had the best ten commandements of ALL TIME.

Had to do it.
Paul Gilbert is one of the best shredders around and he uses the minor pentatonic a hell of a lot.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Paul Gilbert is one of the best shredders around and he uses the minor pentatonic a hell of a lot.

Same with Shawn and Guthrie.
It should also be noted that if your aim is purely for speed, you will end up being a bad guitarist. Most shredders I know are quite frankly, very poor musicians.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It should also be noted that if your aim is purely for speed, you will end up being a bad guitarist. Most shredders I know are quite frankly, very poor musicians.

then you obviously dont know any good shredders

you should start working on stuff like
- Alternate picking
- all different scales, as many as you can learn
- sweep picking progressions of the scales that you learnt, they dont need to be complicated to help your technique, using just the notes of a major scale on the top 3 strings is a good exercise to start with

the trick is to play slow and clean at first, and work your way up to speed. if you start off playing as fast as possible, that will just get you into bad habits and sloppiness and you might never be able to teach yourself proper technique.
Quote by Tedward
then you obviously dont know any good shredders

?

I said most are, not all. I do know some good ones, and then I know ones who just play really fast, sound like crap and don't add anything to a song.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud