I am wondering if there is a difference between a volume pot and a tone pot?I have looked around at several sites and the pots are described as just pots.They don't notate that there is a difference.Any help would be appreciated.
Tone pots deal with gain, volume pots deal with volume.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Tone pots deal with tone, actually.

The difference in the actual pots is what tuner wants to know, right?

There are 2 kinds used in audio applications.

1) Linear taper: Can be used for tone, change resistance in a linear way. EX: 10 is twice as much as 5.

2) Audio Taper (a.k.a. Logarithmic): Can be used for volume or tone. Do not change resistance in a linear fasion. Because of the way the human ear hears sound, these pots are designed to increase a normal amount but in the last 3/4 of the turn, they increase a lot more.

If you get all Audio tape you will be fine, if you get audio for volume and linear for tone you are also good.

To sum all this shit up:

Linear: Tone
Audio/Logarithmic: Volume or Tone
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
they are both the same pre-wiring. its how you wire them that makes them do different things. at least i used 4 of the same on my last wiring job for a 2vol 2 tone setup.
No, they aren't...

There are liner and audio taper pots... I have a couple, marked differently.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I don't think it's right and wrong... More like preference, only those are just the most common uses.

Like, you can use a Ferrari to tow a trailer if you want, most people don't.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I think another thing the TS should know about a tone pot is that it has a capacitor that sends higher frequencies to ground as you turn the pot that makes it act the way it does.
Quote by end_citizen
I think another thing the TS should know about a tone pot is that it has a capacitor that sends higher frequencies to ground as you turn the pot that makes it act the way it does.
yyyup.

adding the capacitor is what makes it a tone pot.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.