I just wanna know your opinion on which you think is easier, learning w/o a teacher or learning w/ a teacher.
Well I think the obvious answer is that learning with an experienced aide is going to let you progress faster than without one.
It depends on the student's way of learning and the teacher's skill to teach.

That's the only truthful answer since there's no blanket truth for this.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
^^ya, everyone is different. but generally i think you would learn better with a teacher
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

Keyword: Knowledgeable/Skilled/Good before teacher

You're going to progress faster with lessons from Satch than you're going to sitting at home reading random websites on music theory and guitar. In the end, you might get the same information, but having an experienced, knowledgeable teacher who is capable of teaching well, you're obviously going to progress easier.

(This all assuming the student really wants to learn...plenty of my friends have taken lessons but don't devote enough time to it outside of lessons and I'm better than them learning on my own).

In the end, there are too many factors and variables to just lay down a one phrase answer to this question.
Quote by strat0blaster
It depends on the student's way of learning and the teacher's skill to teach.

That's the only truthful answer since there's no blanket truth for this.

Agreed
But if you pay for lessons then it had better be worth it.

Advantages of teacher, more guidance, and flush out mistakes/bad habits quicker, and understand music theory, and it should be quicker.

Adv. of no teach - more freedom + creativity (if u r feeling in a creative mood), can go at own pace (could be bad thing), it can be good if player is determined, or save money if only half-hearted about guitar (though u cud argue that a teacher could improve motivation)

All depends on player and teacher really
Did you know that 37% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
I agree, it all depends on the student and his/her way of learning. I'm totally helpless when it comes to a teacher. I had two different teachers and each probably thought I was a total moron because of my incapability to comprehend what they were talking about. However, my brother is totally helpless without the help of a teacher.
And then there's the debate that self-taught musicians make many mistakes and don't realize them until it becomes too hard to undo them. Thus, a teacher is necessary. An example of this is I once met a guy who never used his pinky when he played. (How he got by with this, I would never know) But that could be avoided by checking in with fellow guitarists and Google.
So really it all depends. Are you better learning from a book/videos or from a teacher? Use your own judgement.
All other things being equal than with a teacher. Even if that teacher is a mate that shares ideas at the end of the day music like everything in life is something that the more you put in the more you get out. You might surpass your teacher and still be able to learn a lot from him/her.

Like I said it's got to be an all things being equal question. What will really determine your progress is not whether you have a teacher or not but how much time you put in.

Guy with best teacher in the world that practices half assed for an hour with his teacher once a week = shit progress.

Guy with no teacher that practices every spare minute he has with a strict routine, passion, and enthusiasm = Excellent progress.

There are a few guitarists that achieved a level that is beyond what most will ever reach. Many have been self taught many have been formally trained. However on the whole I'd wager most professional musicians have had some formal training or a teacher.

The most important thing is the player's dedication passion and ability to learn.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
The most important thing is the player's dedication passion and ability to learn.

/thread.
This man is 100% correct.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I would say go with a GOOD teacher. But it really depends. For instance, I am for the most part self taught, but I have managed to scrutinize everything about my playing and create the most efficient practice routine that is possible for me etc. Most people would say go with the teacher..and for the most part thats true. But it really depends on the person. Some people cant learn for numerous reasons without a teachers guidance. Whereas others like myself get on better by themselves. For instance, I could never grasp theory when I was went briefly for lessons a number of years ago. I decide I would learn theory and using Mark Levines Jazz Theory book and a number of other aides I completely taught myself theory with no problem.
Andy
First of all..thanks for posting this I was curious about the same thing. I'd say it depends on your teacher. For instance..I played piano for about 8 or so years, and I got a new teacher who was way too fukin harsh. And found it was easier to teach myself than try to live by somebody elses standards.

I was curious about guitar also. Depending on the teacher, I think it can either inspire you or stifle you in the long run. It seems more logical to get a teacher, but if you have the drive you can learn it on your own.
"To find yourself think for yourself"
I'm sure we just killed a thread like this the other day, no?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
There is no greater teacher than UG!!!!!!!

except paul gilbert...... and MAB.................

nevermind
Banquo?

X
I took lessons from a man named Howie Bentley. Agreed, it does depend on the student's learning patterns. I learned theory faster here than anywhere. It's like having a multitude of excellent guitarists to ask questions to at any given time. But at the same time there are numerous things one has to be personally taught. It goes both ways, but I'd say a combination of student-teacher interaction and self-teaching would take you a heck of a lot farther than favoring one exclusively.
My Rig:
Schecter 006 Diamond Series (Discontinued) Flat Black
Jackson JS30RR Metallic Blue
Line 6 Spider II 210
Boss TU-2
Sennheiser E835-S

Current Top 3:
Between the Buried and Me (Always)
The Faceless
Murder By Death
A good teacher helps you to be able to teach yourself better.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I taught myself how to play and am still teaching myself. I would love to take lessons but I feel that just observing and learning from other musicians is a great way to expand my abilities. I think you just need to have the motivation to teach yourself- sometimes a teacher is just there to be that motivation.
With a teacher, hands down. They'll see your problems long before you do, and can help you correct them. Also, it's much more helpful to have a teacher pass on new bits of knowledge than to have to scour the internet in hopes of finding something useful.
i dont even see how this is a question even being discussed.. a teacher will always help you more than not having one.. the real question is having a teacher going to help you enough for you to spend cash on lessons
Ofcourse this helps. If u get lessons from internet you need to verify urself which are accurate and which will help u(u need to judge urself on ur weak and strong points). A teacher already has the experience and can tell in 10 seconds of playing what u need to work on.

A Good teacher essentially learns you how to be objective to ur playing so u can learn without a teacher when the time comes.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??