I want to take the frets off my strat so I can sand down the heavy lacquer on the fingerboard. I read somewhere that I could heat up the frets with a soldering iron first to get them to slide out easier, but I'm not sure on this. How would you suggest I take them out?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

The heat softens up the metal, helps the wood expand, and melts glue if there is any holding the frets in. You will need a pair of flush-cut bull-nose pliers. That's what I call them anyway.
Kinda like these:
Quote by end_citizen
The heat softens up the metal, helps the wood expand, and melts glue if there is any holding the frets in. You will need a pair of flush-cut bull-nose pliers. That's what I call them anyway.
Kinda like these:

Not that ive ever done this before and would know but even brass frets wouldn't become that much softer with a soldering iron would they? And the expansion of metal is much larger than that of wood so couldn't that make it harder to pull them out or do something to the neck?
Just throwing it out there no experience whatsoever apart from the science end.
Why do you want to sand down the lacquer?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Why do you want to sand down the lacquer?

I don't know about him, but I sanded mine down because it slows my playing, and feels sticky on my fingers, all together. Not pleasant, at all.

An alternative would be scalloping the fingerboard, more safe to the guitar, imo.
Or just sand it without removing the frets.

It will be much easier that refretting...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^i vote this, with proper tools, u could get everything off.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Øttər
Or just sand it without removing the frets.

It will be much easier that refretting...

I did this to my bass - took a while if i do say so my self but yes i didn't have to waste my time putting crap in the holes like a retard