Alright so im bulding a guitar in wood shop... i've almost got the body done and im getting close to doing the hardware+pickups. IM really worried about how to get the pickups in. What im asking for is a complete list of what you need to install EMG 81/85 pickups i have no clue what you all need and what comes in the box.... Once i have everything soldering is no problem for me. Also anyone have any links to how to adjust the proper intonation for the bridge? thanks
Guitars:
Dean Razorback Explosion =D
Schecter Omen 6
Ibanez 30 Exotic Wood =D
Custom Les Paul w/EMG

Amps:
Line 6 Spider II :S
Peavey ValveKIng Halfstack

Pedal:
Boss ME-50
Well, In the Zakk Wylde set, (which is the 81/85 set) you'll get 2 sets of pairs of pots (long shaft for carved top guitars and short-shaft for non-carved top guitars) that are prewired with the capacitors. Aside from that, you'll get the actual pickups and wiring diagrams for numerous setups, plus the 9V connector and quick connectors. there's a little sheet of foam that comes with it as well, i found that useful to put under the pickups just so that there wasn't any chance of anything rattling around in there.

As for what you need to install them... basic knowledge of soldering, solder+iron, a router to make your cavities, pickup rings (handy, as the EMG's take machine screws, not wood screws that will allow direct mounting) 2 9V batteries and and an extra connector for the 18V mod

Hope that helps!
------

Shwiggity.
Yes it did thanks! but i still got a few questions...

1. Im just running the EMG 81/85... i read somewhere that i only need one 9V battery...correct?
2. My guitar is non carved, does it come with two tone pots and two volume pots? My guitar is like a les paul...
3. Where can i buy the pickup rings?
4. Does the EMG's come with ALL the needed wiring for the pickups?
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
Ibanez 30 Exotic Wood =D
Custom Les Paul w/EMG

Amps:

Pedal:
Boss ME-50
1: Yeah, but they sound better when you wire them up to take 2 batteries, hence the 18V Mod name.

2: It comes with 2 vol 2 tone short shafted, and 2 vol 2 tone long shafted. Everything you need for any kind of guitar.

3: Google, local guitar shop

4: Yes.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i sincerely hope u intend to get a tube amp, as well...oh wait..sig....
yeah pretty much what otter said

btw on the subject of amps..i just found this...holy s***, is that price right????
http://www.totalmusicsupply.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=100812

$780 USD including shipping??? awesome.

EDIT: WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i dont think emgs come with an output jack, or the wiring for between the pots, just for the pups to the pots...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^yeah i know, just pointing it out that it wont come with the pups.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Yeah, EMGs use a stereo jack right? Just something to remember if he needs to buy it himself.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
How would i go about doing the 18V mod? any diagrams for me? And this is what i gather... tell me if im correct...

I need a stero input jack, wiring from pot to pot, and a 3 way pick up selector ... (is there any special 3 way that i need?) and the rest should be there?
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
Ibanez 30 Exotic Wood =D
Custom Les Paul w/EMG

Amps:

Pedal:
Boss ME-50
New EMG'S do come with the jack. A regular 3 way switch is fine. You'll need some wire to connect the pots to the switch. Here's a link to the 18v mod thread. The first post shows the basic 18v mod. There are other ways to do it in various post through out the thread. Even ways to use a toggle switch to go back and forth from 9v to 18v.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941907
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 6, 2008,