im replacing the tubes in my crate v33 head with jj el84's and mullard 12ax7's. do i need to re bias the amp when i do this? how do i re bias if it needs it.
i see on the crate web site it is cathode biased, if so can i just put the new set of el84's in if they are a matched set of 4?
If it's cathode biased, plug and play. Enjoy, I'd assume those crate came with subpar tubes so those should be a nice upgrade.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It is cathode bias, so it doesn't need to be biased externally.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
sweet!! so i can just put the new ones in and turn it on and play and it will be fine?

yes.
sweet thanks. that helps alot. i though crate was gonna pull a fast one and say it's cathode biased just to make better sales.

i have a friend who bought an amp that said it was cathode biased and spent $100 on a tube change, cranked the amp after the change and it blew the new tubes because it wasn't biased properly.
^Your friend is a retard.
companies can't lie about stuff like that, as far as i know. it's a technical specification, not just a nice feature.

if your friend just put in brand new tubes and cranked the shit out of his amp, that's probably his fault for shocking the tubes like that.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
hey i just posted a new post about the differences between power tubes like, hard soft and medium. what the f**k does that mean.

god i fell as if i should know this by now.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
im replacing the tubes in my crate v33 head with jj el84's and mullard 12ax7's.

I put the same in my V30 and it made a huge difference.