I've been playing bass for a year and two months and guitar for around 6 and one of my biggest flaws is speed. I've practiced Master of Puppets for a long time and I STILL can't get the right speed/sound for the intro into the chorus.

(The 0-1 on the E, 2 on the A esque part)

Help?
like u can't play it or u just can't get the right feel for the timing? cause the chorus is kind of the easiest part in the song so if you can do the rest then i don't get why your having trouble with it. maybe try the power tab or guitar pro or something so u don't have to hear the singing over it?
For example here the tab

e
B
G
D
A 2 3 4 3 2-2
E- 0-1 0-1 0-1 0-1 0-1

But when they play it its fast so it sounds like its just

e
B
G
D
A 2-3-4-3-2-2
E

When I play it, it doesn't sound like the second way

edit: First part got messed up, but you get the point
oh that part. when i first learned that it was on guitar so it was probably a little easier then bass, but just do it in groups of three, like 0 1 2, 0 1 3, 0 1 4, you get the point
^ What he said.

Also, you can cheat a little bit and hammer on the one. So pick the open E, hammer on the one, and then play the note on the A string. I honestly think that way sounds better.
Quote by CobainBohnam
I've been playing bass for a year and two months and guitar for around 6 and one of my biggest flaws is speed. I've practiced Master of Puppets for a long time and I STILL can't get the right speed/sound for the intro into the chorus.

(The 0-1 on the E, 2 on the A esque part)

Help?

Your biggest flaw isn't speed....your flaws are just poor accuracy, lack of patience and inexperience. That particular riff is an absolute killer and it's going to take a while to get right no matter how good someone is. As with anything, if you can't play it properly slowly then you won't be able to play it properly quickly. Slow it down to the speed at which you can play it, use a metronome to keep you in time and concentrate on playing it accurately, and perfecting and refining the movements required to play it. If you're messing up then you're going too fast and need to go even slower.

Speed isn't a skill, it's just a reflection of your skills.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
that part can be a little tricky when first learning it. don't try to play it full speed right away, or you'll never get it. it will take a little time, but what i did when i first learned this, was to sit down and watch tv, and just keep playing that over and over. i wasn't really concentrating on it, because i was playing it so slow, but i was hammering it into my brain. then i started to speed it up, when i actually practiced, and in about 3 days i could play it full speed.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Thanks everyone for the advice. I've practice it very much and now I am ALMOST at full speed (around half a second behind the song, a good improvement for me).
I've actually found that once I got the main intro riff at full speed, and kept the speed going into the second intro riff (the one you're having trouble with) that it came much easier to me.

Try playing the first intro riff (on the E: 007006005040302000(12)...) at full speed, and once you get through it, transition straight into the second riff, and see if that helps.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P