I recently got a Carvin Legacy, and I love it so far. I can get quite a bit of gain out of it using a Boosta Grande with the gain at 7 on the amp for a lead, and without the boost for an awesome rhythm sound. I'm sort of trying to get a blend of Petrucci and Vai for the distorted tone. Should I try a tubescreamer in front of the lead channel? The clean channel sounds great no matter where I have it.

Right now I'm using an LTD M207 with stock Duncan Designed pickups, but soon my build will be done, and it's going to have a Dimarzio D-Sonic 7 and a Blaze Neck 7.

The tubes in the amp right now are Tung Sol EL34s and the preamp tubes are the stock (I believe) Groove Tubes 12ax7 and two other 12ax7s in the reverb and power driver.

I have a few questions:
-How drastically would the sound change and what would it sound like if I put some 6L6s in it instead of the EL34s?
-What kind of preamp tubes should I use to get a bit more gain out of it, or what kind of preamp tubes should I get so they don't get over saturated too quickly?

Settings at the moment on lead channel:
Presence 8.5
Treble 10
Mid 7
Bass 4
Drive 7

Not sure if this should've gone in ultimate settings thread or All You Ever Needed To Know About TUBES.

Thanks
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Nov 6, 2008,
I would get an Overdrive pedal to your point.

Tube change won't change the amp that drastically. Keep what you have I say. 6L6s are more american voiced and EL34s are more british voiced. Not sure if you can swap like that without a major overhaul (biasing effort).
i would think that 6L6s would help it out some, seeing as it would make it american voiced. also, a TS on your lead channel will help boost gain and shape your solo sound, make it smoother if you want. and as far as i know, Vai and Satch's lead tones are pretty smooth.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
yep, i use a TS9 with mine, i find it gives you a very nice and smooth boost, nothing too drastic. although you probably wont get petrucci mesa worship tones with it, i havent heard anything like that from mine, but then again maybe some other pedal might help with that. Ts9 do the job well though
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
I know for a fact Vai uses an Keeley modded TS-9 overdrive pedal with his Legacy. Definately look into that. Keeley pedals RULE.
he was using a Keeley Ds-1 but a few years ago he went back to using the original, not sure if he's using original Ts-9's though, but now he's using the Jemini, Distortion and overdrive in one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lCOZlZVA5Y
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Tube change won't change the amp that drastically.

Yes it will. 6L6's give the Legacy all the beef, chunk, and body that the Legacy lacks with EL34's. Keep in mind that the Legacy is more of a vintage voiced amp, you won't be getting anywhere near Mesa territory with a Legacy. If you have the extra money, try swapping your tubes out for 6L6's, I doubt you'll go back to the EL34's.
Can the Legacy even accept 6l6's without a mod?

I would also ditch the GT preamp tubes. Buy a few JJ ECC83S's for the first two slots. Or maybe a high gain chinese tube or two. Preamp tube swaps can alter the gain and tone of an amp drastically.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
The Legacy has a bias switch on the back, but I'd still recommend a tech to bias the amp.
Wow, awesome responses.

I'll see if I can try out some 6L6s to see how I like them (the Legacy DOES have a bias switch on the back). I'll also check out a tubescreamer.

Like I said, I'm trying to get a combination of Vai and Petrucci. I know I won't get near a Mesa sound. Thanks a lot guys.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Stick in some KT77s instead Keep the midrange girth while adding more top and bottom.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I think I'm going to go with a few JJ ECC83S in V1 and V2. I will probably get the high gain version. Afterwards, I might try to get some 6L6s, just to see how I like them, although I might not look into those until after Christmas.

How much more gain would the JJs get me if I get the high gain version? I know there's no unit for measuring gain that would be useful to me, but just give me a general idea.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile