I just bought my first electric guitar 3 days ago and i'm trying to take the next step of things to do. I have practiced a few basic notes ( ig uess they are notes?? heeh) over the last few nights and my fingers hurt. I Know thats a building them up thing. I'm a little lost about what i actually should be doing and I am not really sure what or how to do things. I've read some of the lessons about learning about the guitar parts (easy), where to hold hands, etc etc. I've also read how the how to read tabs and music theory stuff which is very confusing for me. I'm having a hard time grasping some of those playing concepts. Am I starting things in a wrong way?

I did buy a few left handed players books that teaches me basic chords and notes. Should I start learning those first ? I did purchase a metronome because I was told its important and I was checking my note played against it and it seems to work fine but again I don't really know what i'm doing. Could anyone point me what would be a logical step for me to go in at this stage?

thanks,
Kyle
Learn how to Alternate Pick, and know your Pentatonic Scales. Search around these forums for guides/help on those.

Sorry I can't help more, I'm a little busy.
don't read lessons, if your fingers hurt... the best way to learn is to talk to experienced guitarists about music theory and such, but for excercises; i tell every newbie that you gotta do all of those finger excercises for hours, and not just 15 minutes a day. it's annoying and time consuming, but you'll grow like 3x quicker than others...
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
it really depends, you can start with basic chords, G C, D, E,Em, A, Am Those are the first chords I learned and once you get a few strumming patterns down there are tons of songs you can play.

If you have chords down you could learn power chords they sound great distorted. If you have that down you can learn Barre chords which are similer to power chords with an extra finger. Once you have all that down go through scales which is what im learning now so I cant offer much help past this point.
Well, fingers hurting is just natural. At first you should just find a way to be comfortable with the guitar and your hands. If you're left-handed find a couple songs with simple rythms so that you will not be overwhelmed by notes or rythms. Songs like 'One' (intro only) and some Green Day songs will build up how fast your fingers can push down on simple frets and chords. If those dont work try some simple scales like C major.

Remeber, you must want to learn how to play guitar, not because you're forced. Its hard in the beginning but the guitar will just eventually become an extension of your body, you will be playing songs like 'Hotel California', 'Cliffs of Dover', and 'Sweet Child O' Mine' in no time at all. Practice is key.

P.S. maybe if you want to learn theories, study the similarities between tabs and how they sound.
stick with your books for now, once you have them down write your own songs and talk to other players.
Quote by lokee420
it really depends, you can start with basic chords, G C, D, E,Em, A, Am Those are the first chords I learned and once you get a few strumming patterns down there are tons of songs you can play.

If you have chords down you could learn power chords they sound great distorted. If you have that down you can learn Barre chords which are similer to power chords with an extra finger. Once you have all that down go through scales which is what im learning now so I cant offer much help past this point.

I can tell by how this guy talks that he has been playing for about 6 months, but listen to that, he's got the basics summarized, learn those...
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Wonderful. Thank you for all the input and would love more if anyone else wants to say so. It gets a little overwhelming at times but I'm going to keep working hard. Its enjoyable and something to strive for!
Quote by lokee420

i wouldnt recommend power chords first but that is just me.....i've seen so many people learn power chords and then just not care about anything else. Yes, they sound good, but they are not the end all be all like people make them out to be
Quote by MRAAJR
i wouldnt recommend power chords first but that is just me.....i've seen so many people learn power chords and then just not care about anything else. Yes, they sound good, but they are not the end all be all like people make them out to be

+1

there's no point making a special effort to "learn" power chords as they're just part of a full chord. If you learn your chords first, then further down the line simply learn what powerchords are you'll find you already know how to play them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
and barre chords are more than just a power chord with an extra finger, and there are many different shapes i.e. (A shape, Am, Am7, E Shape, Em, E7, Em 7, E9, E13) the list could go on ad infinitum. I say learn the barre chord shapes well and be able to switch from open to barrre and back before you go on to power chords but once again thats my opinion so take it with a grain of salt
Quote by steven seagull
+1

there's no point making a special effort to "learn" power chords as they're just part of a full chord. If you learn your chords first, then further down the line simply learn what powerchords are you'll find you already know how to play them.

+10..lol
Kyle, you need someone to tell you that you need a firm and sturdy foundation if you dream to be a true guitarist.

Power chords? nahh later...

basic chords? now!
My first song = Good Riddance by Green Day. First song i learned with chords
My guitars:

Ibanez RG5EX1
Eleca Dread Acoustic
Dean ML

My FX: Line 6 Floor POD Plus

In the end, fact means nothing,
its all about perspective
I'm kind of up in the air when it comes to learning power chords now or later. I've only been playing for 4 months, and I started on day one learning C, G, and D. I got bored very quickly. About a week in, I discovered this site, learned to read tab, and haven't looked back. With power chords I could play recognizable songs. This kept me excited and kept me daydreaming at work about finally getting home and getting to play some more. This wasn't the case when I was endlessly strumming chords.

On the flipside I can admit that I know nothing about scales and I still only know those first 3 chords by memory. I'm now going to put power chords on the back burner while I go back to learn the basics.
That's just it, there's nothing to "learn" with powerchords - they're just the bottom 2 notes of a chord, specifically the root and 5th.

If you do things in order and learn your open chords and barre chords then you've taught yourself powerchords without even trying.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com