Page 1 of 2
Yeah so, I changed the LED on my mxr, so now I'm going to build a pedal.

For my electronics class, our one mandatory project this year is a 5 watt stereo amp. Cool, I'm done... so now I want to build something.

This pedal!

It looks rockin to me.

I'm hoping to achieve the tones of the solo in We Will Rock You. That harmonic distortion is great. If I can't get that tone, oh well, I'll have another rock box to play with.

It seems really simple. That page I linked too has a link to a PCB layout, which I can put on heat transfer paper, then onto blank PCB stock, and then etch at school. There aren't a ton of components either. I have all the resistors at school, I might need some caps, the logarithmic pot, the jacks, and maybe a transistor or two.

Just FYI, I have about a year of experience working with transistors, capacitors, resistors, pots, etc. and I know how to solder and all that. I will be getting a box from eBay, they are really cheap from one place, on like $13 or something. If you guys know any better places let me know. I can order all the parts I need through school. I will breadboard this thing first before I make the PCB.

Questions:

Can I wire an LED "on" indicator into this?

What does changing the optional 2n2 cap do, I know it change the treble, but what can I expect from some other values?

I don't see a switch, can I put one it?

Is there any reason I shouldn't attempt this as a first pedal build?

Anything more to come will be edited in or posted along the way.

Commence your posting.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Of course, what are you using to turn it "on?"

"Larger values will yield less treble content." There's nothing more to it. It's a treble bleed. The higher the value, the less treble will get through, and vice versa.

Sure, switch the supply, switch the signal, switch both... whatever you want.

Not really. Learn more about what each component does, and then how they work together in the circuit.
Can I wire an LED "on" indicator into this?
Of course.
I don't see a switch, can I put one it?
They just don't show any of their offboard wiring, sir.
Here's a diagram showing offboard wiring like a switch, AND an LED.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_ig_dcjack.gif
Is there any reason I shouldn't attempt this as a first pedal build?No. It's a cool looking pedal. I'd rather build this one, if I wanted Brian May and then some, though:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=26

If you want the solo tone from We Will Rock You, you have to keep in mind he also has a phaser for that lead.
Quote by forsaknazrael
They just don't show any of their offboard wiring, sir.
Here's a diagram showing offboard wiring like a switch, AND an LED.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_ig_dcjack.gif

You sir, are ****ing awesome. .

Quote by forsaknazrael
No. It's a cool looking pedal. I'd rather build this one, if I wanted Brian May and then some, though:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=26

Any reason in particular you would choose that one?

Quote by forsaknazrael
If you want the solo tone from We Will Rock You, you have to keep in mind he also has a phaser for that lead.

I was just thinking more of the harmonic distortion sound. I also have a phaser effect built into my amp if I ever need it.

Other than that, thanks a ton for all your help!

Now, here is a parts list:

Resistors:
10K ( times two, this is the only resistor there are two of)

Capacitors:
0.01uF (times two, this is the only cap there are two of)
470pF
2n2 (what does this mean... what value is this?)
2.2uF (this one is electrolytic)

Transistors:
2N5088 (I don't have this... substitutes?)
2N3904
J201 (I don't have this either... substitutes?)

Misc:
Box. I'm looking at a 1290NS, from eBay. Is this ok?
100K Audio Pot
1/4" mono jack (where do I get pedal ones with the switches in them?)
10K trimmer pot

Questions!!!

1: What kind of capacitors do it get? The catalog I order from has ceramic disc, electrolytic axial, electrolytic radial, radial ceramic monolithic, axial ceramic monolithic, CKo5 (military), radial dipped tantalum, radial metallized, and axial metallized.

That is a metric assload of caps. Which ones do I use for making a pedal?

2: What capacitor value is 2n2? I assume it is like when you write resistor values like 2K2, but in this case I don't know the "N". Halp?

3: Are there any substitutes for the J201 and 2N5088? I don't have them in my catalog. If there are multiples, can you list? If not, where can I get them?

I'll Google search both of these myself to see if there are some replacements I could use.

4: Upon inspection of my MXR pedal, the 1/4" jacks are not like a guitar. The have a switch thing in them so when I plug a patch cord in, the pedal is "on". Where do I get these jacks?

Thank you so very much for all your help, past and future. I hope to make a kickass pedal.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
1. 470pf- ceramic disc
0.01uf - probably radial metallized.
2.2uf is electrolytic radial. make sure its rated at 12-16v. anything else is probably going to be physically too large
2n2 is 2.2n, or .0022uf

J201 can also be (probably) 2N5457, MPF102,NTE458
2N5088 can also be 2N5089, or possibly 2N3904, 2N222
here's a nice little chart for reference:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/The-Mod-Zone-_/TRANSISTOR_SUBSTITUTION_CHART.gif.html

ignore the MXR bypass system. For this, you want this setup 1 mono jack and 1 stereo, with a 3pdt with led or dpdt if you don't want an led. Here are some wiring options:
http://www.tonepad.com/getFileInfo.asp?id=76
1. Poly film is fine. (smallbear)

2. The "n" means nano (2.2 nanoFarads)

3. Dunno about the 2N5088, but any N-channel (NPN) FET can replace the J201 (smallbear has those too).

4. Theay are called Stereo jacks. Guitars use mono. (smallbear again)
Quote by Invader Jim
1. Poly film is fine. (smallbear)

2. The "n" means nano (2.2 nanoFarads)

3. Dunno about the 2N5088, but any N-channel (NPN) FET can replace the J201 (smallbear has those too).
4. Theay are called Stereo jacks. Guitars use mono. (smallbear again)

??????

You can sub a 2N5089 in for a bit more gain and slightly less noise, a tad pricier but I like em more.

Buy more FETs than you need cause they are kinda like tubes and no two sound the same.

For small pF value caps I recommend using silver mica as the dielectric over ceramic as it is clearly I find. You want those clear "harmonics" it seems.

You might also need a 1M pull down to prevent popping.

I would use something bigger than 1290NS. I tried to use one on my first build (a single knob boost) and failed miserably. I now can fit 5 knobs on a 1290NS but that takes practice. Go bigger it will make the build so much easier.
Otter: I would pick the other one simply because it's more versatile - hence my comment, "and then some". Also, in order, I prefer boosts, fuzzes, overdrives, distortion pedals.

Pedals have one stereo jack, one mono jack. Just to let you know. There's no switch in a Stereo jack, it just has an extra connection.

Don't forget that you will need a 3PDT switch, if you want true bypass and an LED.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Otter: I would pick the other one simply because it's more versatile - hence my comment, "and then some". Also, in order, I prefer boosts, fuzzes, overdrives, distortion pedals.

To elaborate on this, it's more so that this pedal is a Brian-May-overdriven-tone-in-a-box type of pedal.

I'd be more after a the Brian may Treble Booster because it's what he used to get his tone.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't forget that you will need a 3PDT switch, if you want true bypass and an LED.

Not necessarily. R.G. Keen, an electronics engineer who works for Visual Sound and is hugely widely known in the DIY stompboxes world, has his own website called Geofex.com. He wrote an article describing his Millennium Bypass 2. It uses an DPDT switch and about four other parts to make a true-bypass pedal with LED. Just search millennium on his site.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
About replacing parts and substituting things:

**** it. I'll order from little bear. Do they ship to Canada at an affordable price?

About getting a smaller box:

I trust you Kurt, I'll get the big one.

About doing a different method of off board wiring:

No. I have a picture someone posted, and it makes perfect sense to me!

About going with a different pedal:

I trust you, too, so if you say it is better, it probably is. I'll check out that link.

Now:

1: Check out little bear

2: Check out plans for new pedal

3: Get money for this probably $100 project, cause school won't pay for it if I don't get my stuff through ABRA Electronics.

4: Get hydrated. My first shift of my new job... that place is so dry! Fack! I feel like a desert. Devoid of water.

EDIT!!:

Wow, what an unnecessarily large, red, and bold piece of text.

After reviewing my budget, my ABRA catalog, and the substitute options you have provided, I have realized I can get this done cheaper.

So, I can do it all good!

I want to make the pedal I already have now, because it is all printed out and shit, so I like it. And... yeah.

It seems cheap, simple, and easy to understand. I like it, so I'm going to build it.

Now I have to do some work on making a parts list.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Small Bear not Little Bear....

It seems these days I get a package from Steve every week. The shipping is decent and he has great selection. No issues with clearing the boarder and getting to me in Toronto.
Quote by Invader Jim
Ok, get to work, bitch. Let's see some progress pics.

Suck my bodacious ta-tas.

What do want me to take pictures of what I'm doing right now? Ok. Here:

Reads, "Invader Jim has no fingers"

I swear, I'm not into trannies.

The UG foot shot.

wut?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Suck my bodacious ta-tas.

What do want me to take pictures of what I'm doing right now? Ok. Here:

Reads, "Invader Jim has no fingers"

HEY!

That wasn't nice.
Quote by guitarcam123
so are you ryan or joseph

Lol, you jacked your own thread

Otter is Ryan, cuz Joseph was writing a message and there wasn't text in the text box
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
otter, ur such a good thread jacker, u jacked ur own thread.

damn.

i need to get off my ass and build a pedal....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Oh hells yeah.

I'm the First-First Mate of the thread pirates.

Also, you totally need to build a pedal...

OH MY GOD! IDEA!

We build pedals of the great guitar gods of the UK.

Brian May
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Yngwie Malmsteen (that is totally not even a ****ing name. Yngwie? Really, mom and dad?)
Pete Townshend

Uhhmm.... all those other great Brit rockers.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
^iommi
angus (born in uk, moved to australia)
keith richards
id say george harrison, but he didnt really use distortion/drive too much...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Of course!

Do we have enough pedal builders on UG?

If not, Kurtlives91 can take up the 10 pedal slack, right?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Is there an alternative to the 3PDT switch? With a wiring diagram to boot? It doubles my parts budget rofl!

$10 is too much for a switch, in my opinion...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Chris to the rescue! Again. I'll take a look, thanks man.

EDIT: Merged posts

I think I'll get all my stuff from them!

Way cheaper than pedobear.

The only problem I have, I can't find the 2.2 nF capacitor, or the 2.2 uF electrolytic capacitor that I need. Any ideas?

EDIT: I might be able to get these through my school, but does anyone know where else I could get them?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
pedobear...

For the caps, try looking for a silver mica version. They come in tiny values like that. I looked on pedobear for some small-value caps for Chris's DS-1 mod and they only had them in silver mica, so yeah...try it.
Quote by Øttər
Oh hells yeah.

I'm the First-First Mate of the thread pirates.

Also, you totally need to build a pedal...

OH MY GOD! IDEA!

We build pedals of the great guitar gods of the UK.

Brian May
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Yngwie Malmsteen (that is totally not even a ****ing name. Yngwie? Really, mom and dad?)
Pete Townshend

Uhhmm.... all those other great Brit rockers.

brit rocker? Yngwie is Swedish
I believe that's Candyland, isn't it?

(anyone else remember that boardgame from a decade ago?)
------

Shwiggity.
I remember that game. I was five a decade ago too, and back then I had already moved to the Netherlands, to move back to GA three years ago . But we got it from a friend that my parents knew from a while back, but we threw it away because no one liked it and it smelled like barf. We still think they secretly threw up on it and gave it to us. Anyway. Why isn't this thread locked yet?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Why would it be locked?

I'm still building the pedal, and now it will be officially on topic ok?

MODS: Please don't lock this, It is now back on topic, and I have more questions and I will be posting progress and whatnot.

Kthxbai.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Why would it be locked?

I'm still building the pedal, and now it will be officially on topic ok?

MODS: Please don't lock this, It is now back on topic, and I have more questions and I will be posting progress and whatnot.

Kthxbai.

Because you been spamming your thread with dumb offensive material and making lots of dumb jokes along the way.
I have realized that.

However, it was only about 10 posts, so we can forget about and move on like mature people?

I suppose if the mods really want this thread deleted, it is totally up to them, however any more spam in here will gt reported.

In fact, if everyone who spammed would like to delete their posts, that would be great too.

EDIT: I removed my posts of spammage, so I think we're all good if deftones and jim follow suit.

Sorry about this.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Last edited by Øttər at Nov 13, 2008,
Page 1 of 2