View poll results: which guitar?
2008 standard 60's neck
7 29%
70's era custom shop
9 38%
fap
8 33%
Voters: 24.
ok im getting a gibson les paul as my next guitar, but what kind im having trouble deciding. I KNOW i either want a STANDARD or a CUSTOM SHOP

I can either:

1. go to my local music store and get a 2008 standard 60's neck for 1800, ive played it it sounds great, not spectacular though. just a solid les paul that will pull through anything.

2. get a vintage 1970's era les paul Custom Shop from ebay for about 2,000 (sellers who have positive feedback of course) and get a guitar i have never played before, knowing its a custom shop, and most likely a better quality build than a 2008 standard. plus, the value will increase dramatically over the next 20-30 years...

i plan on using this guitar regularly, it wont just sit in my bedroom.

the 2008 standard is a safe bet, but i could be getting the mojo of the 70's with one off ebay... but theres always a risk...

i play from blues to 80's metal, i know i want a les paul, and my amp great for what i play

thoughts?
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Last edited by maiden_mexico at Nov 6, 2008,
meh. it's a coin toss...
I would go with the custom shop...does the seller have a return policy?
depends on the seller
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
If you play metal I would go for the standard. I think that would be more versatile for you. The custom shop would be Bad*ss but I don't know how well it would do for music other than blues and classic rock.
this is a dilemma...the thing is that nowadays the quality of les pauls is not worthy of the money we musicians pay for it. It seems to me that gibson is just looking for ways to come out with different versions of their best guitar to make more money. I personally think the 2008 standard isnt worth it. In my opinion i say "if it aint broke dont try to fix it." With gibson's quality now, id say pass on the 2008 standard...but on the other hand you've never tried the 70's custom. I seem to recall a time period where gibson's quality sucked...it was either the 70's or the 80's i believe. the 90's were hit or miss and from then on it declined. My best advise is to wait on the ebay guitars and try to find a used guitar shop near you and try them out yourself.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
Big Muff
Vox Clyge McCoy Wah Pedel
Holy Grail Reverb
there arent any used guitar shops in my area... as much as i'd love that option all i have is guitar center... i think it was the 80's when the the quality control went a little off.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
in that case id say 70s. its a risk but it would be sick to have a 70s les paul
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Big Muff
Holy Grail Reverb
im not too worried about the 70's quality control though, as it would be a custom shop... having wear and tear on a guitar isnt important to me, its just love marks
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
then i guess thats your answer. id go with the 70s paul
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Big Muff
Holy Grail Reverb
heh careful with what you think though. there is no certain proof that the custom shop gibson's value will dramatically increase over the next 20-30 years.
the 60's ones are already pushing 10k though :\
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I would go with the 70s Les Paul IMHO Gibsons from that era were some of the best. I have had many 70s LPs when I collected Gibsons and I can't think of a bad thing to say about any of them. Right now you can get a 70s LP for a good price and they are going to increse in value especially if it's a numbered custom shop model. I think new Gibsons are nice but a littel overpriced and Gibson let their quality control slip. I also like the LPs of the early 80s and there are even better deals on those out there.