Hey everybody. I'm looking for a distortion pedal that can pull off some solid Children of Bodom ish tones. Unfortunately, I don't live in a great spot for this particular hobby so I am relying entirely on the internet . Any help is much appreciated!
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
how would anyone know, mostly all of his guitar is over piano.

This made me laugh.
Last edited by nerdor257 at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by PollyWntsCrack

Wow...

You obviously don't listen to enough Bodom. There's usually only 1 bit each song where he harmonizes with the keyboard. The keyboard barely ever out-powers his guitar.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by ldnovelo
metal muff.
your cube doesnt have enough gain for it?

Oh the cube is good, I'm talking for the Coupe, great amp but needs a little more to be a metal machine.

I do like the metal muff, from what I've seen on youtube. I'll look into it.
Quote by nerdor257
Oh the cube is good, I'm talking for the Coupe, great amp but needs a little more to be a metal machine.

I do like the metal muff, from what I've seen on youtube. I'll look into it.

i think its your best choice. the other pedals with metal on the name sound really shitty (they are too digital, or too trebley, or too muddy, or have too much gain hat you can't understand a f*ck) and IMO and experience, the metal muff is the must natural sounding of them.

however, i would search for a noise supressor too (used if you can). the metal muff has enough gain for bodom on 5, but if you pres the top boost button, it can get noisy. nothing too extreme, but some people really hate the most minimal hum. and get the big version (the 90 dollars one). you get a lot more stuff for it than what you get for the nano metal muff (65 dollars) and the micro metal muff (75 dollars).
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
I think my AMT DT-2 does a perfect Bodom tone for $140. Can hit lots of other tones as well.

Here's a vid I just made to show ya. Used my Kramer Vanguard into the AMT into my 5150 combo. I set as clean a tone as possible on the 5150.

http://media.putfile.com/AMT-DT-2-Bodom-Tone
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
i heard the coupe has quite an amount of gain on it but it could possibly another amp im thinking about, but if it does just boost it with an OD maybe?
throw a Bad Monkey or TS808 on the Coupe and it should push it into the higher gain stage
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
The amp has a sizeable chunk of gain in it, but I'm looking for a distortion pedal definitely, I am not a fan of overdrives that much, at least not for metal.

That AMT DT 2, how brutal can it get? The video sounds almost exactly like the sound I have in my head, but I'm just wondering if it can get any more distorted. Also, thanks a ton for the vid, really helped.
Last edited by nerdor257 at Nov 7, 2008,
Scoop the mids on your coupe, then stick a 10-band EQ with a frown on it in front of the amp, raising the bass some. Combine with an OD, and if it's a tube amp, crank the master volume to get some tube OD.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by PollyWntsCrack

'
You're little bitch sig tricked the hell out of me. Go burn in hell :P

TS - get a Metal Muff, it'll pretty do whatever you want, and if that's really not enough, get either an EQ (MXR 10 band?) to go before it or an OD (Fulltond OCD or Maxon 808?) to go after it.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Quote by Shinozoku
Scoop the mids on your coupe, then stick a 10-band EQ with a frown on it in front of the amp, raising the bass some. Combine with an OD, and if it's a tube amp, crank the master volume to get some tube OD.

Wow, are you joking? Alexi's tone is special because of the rediculous mid-range punch and depth, and you're saying to cut them? Sorry, wont get an Alexi tone cutting the range of frequencies that make his tone unique, lol.

Also, TS, Alexi uses a Lee Jackson preamp + a 20 db gain booster on his guitars.

****oads of gain and mids is what you want. Punchy as shit. Crunchy as hell.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Wow, are you joking? Alexi's tone is special because of the rediculous mid-range punch and depth, and you're saying to cut them? Sorry, wont get an Alexi tone cutting the range of frequencies that make his tone unique, lol.

Also, TS, Alexi uses a Lee Jackson preamp + a 20 db gain booster on his guitars.

****oads of gain and mids is what you want. Punchy as shit. Crunchy as hell.

pretty sure he said to make a frown on the EQ, which would be boosting mids...

05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
pretty sure he said to make a frown on the EQ, which would be boosting mids...

Actually, making a frown would be boosting the mids. If you make a smile, it'll scoop them.

TS- The amt can get as brutal as you want it to be. I was using the British setting on the pedal with the gain at 10 o' clock (about 1/3). The California setting on the pedal gives it a very Recto ish sound that is much heavier than the Brit setting. Just that the Brit setting is the only one that can get the Bodom sound.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

argh, i was thinking smile. it was late, sorry man ;-;
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Alright, looks like the AMT it is. Thanks to all who contributed.

Also, is it worth getting an overdrive along with it? In many reviews I read this was recommended.
If you own a tube amp, I feel that it's mandatory to own a boost. Check out the digitech bad monkey. $40 new and well worth it.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2