First off I'd like to ask why people say your guitar is set-up good if the note of the open string is the same as the note on the 12th fret harmonic? According to that test, I'm intonated perfectly... However, The tuner in my amp says I'm almost +20 sharp (whatever that means)...

I just put these new strings on about a week ago. Is there anyway I can get the intonation without getting new strings? It's an Epiphone G-400, so it has a tun-o-matic bridge.

Any help? Would it hurt if I only loosened the strings to intonate it? I would like to be able to do this on my own now without paying a guitar shop...
You're supposed to match the 12th fret harmonic to the fretted 12th fret note, not the open string.
Quote by whiteraven119
You're supposed to match the 12th fret harmonic to the fretted 12th fret note, not the open string.

That explains part of my problem....
do harmonic on 12th fret, then push down. Should be the exact same pitch. If not, then you need to intonate it.
The fretted 12 has to be the same as the 12th harmonic not the open note, but then again it should still be the same because they are just octaves

If it sounds good to your ears it just means your tuner is wrong. Tuners CAN be wrong
you dont need a shop. you tune up the open string, so no you dont loosen it to intonate it.

SETTING INTONATION: from icepoint...
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.

retune the open string after each adjustment.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 6, 2008,
12th fret harmonic, fretted down and the string played open should all be the same. Mine are dead on for all 3
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
sometimes the harmonic is hard to get, and fretting 12th vs open string is easier.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

for the low E open string, it should be 1 octave lower than the 12th fret or 12th harmonic but if your guitar is intonated, open string and 12th should be the same note with minimal deviation.
You can adjust your saddle like what jj1565 said. dun need to restring at all
guitar itself is not a well intonated instrument. For example on the higher frets like 15th fret of E string, you may not get a perfect G even though on 12th you have a perfect E on your tuner.
So I'm adjusting the string length, making it longer for the one's that are sharp, my B string is as long as I can make it and it still goes a little sharp...what can I do about that? I'm intonating my bottoms string, which I have dropped to D and it isn't showing signs of getting better
I use the 24. It's more sensitive, so therefore more accommodating to that +/- 3 cent error for the ever so popular Korg tuner.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
If you have set the intonation on your guitar perfectly, but it still sounds off it might either be A.) your strings or B.) the frets of your guitar weren't installed properly. I had B on my Agile and all I had to do is get some fretwork done and its beautiful.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by whiteraven119

1 string down?
There be no shelter here.
Not all tuners are created equally. I have a tuner included with one of those chord computers and anything tuned with it sounds out of tune. My more expensive sabine does a way better job. And if you run out of adjustment sometimes you can flip the saddle around for a little more room.
I really wish I could make sense of this, I don't understand how I can make an adjustment that yields no results. I make it longer, but i don't even have to retune it and it doesn't get it any closer to intonated.
Quote by NemX162
I really wish I could make sense of this, I don't understand how I can make an adjustment that yields no results. I make it longer, but i don't even have to retune it and it doesn't get it any closer to intonated.
No offense, but that tuner is terrible.

You'd notice a difference if you were using a strobe tuner, but they're pretty expensive. I bet a small Korg unit would probably be more accurate than your amp.
Quote by jj1565
you dont need a shop. you tune up the open string, so no you dont loosen it to intonate it.

SETTING INTONATION: from icepoint...
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.

retune the open string after each adjustment.

Lol, I have a question pertaining to the picture.
Do the saddles have to be facing in that direction? My G400 (lol I have the same guitar as the guy with the problem) has a TOM, but the saddles are reverse of that picture (the screw is facing toward the bridge, not away)
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
some guys flip the bridge to make it easier to reach the screws, but then all the saddles need to be adjusted.

if it came that way, like some guitar's do, then you're fine.
if it fell off during a string change and you put it on backwards without adjusting intonationf, that's a problem
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ack, my G400 is ****ed up anyway. I need to just clip the strings and have someone look at that stopbar. Looks like its gonna come out of the body. D:
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
well dont clip the strings, lossen them.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Lol I'm already in Drop C 1 Whole Step Down. Not much farther to go, is there?
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Well even if my tuner wasn't that good I'd figure it would be good relative to itself. Like, even if it was an eighth of a tone sharp, shouldn't it always read 1/8th sharp? Or would that be too easy?