i need to do some serious upgrading to my PC
i know the basics on building computers
im basically going to rebuild the entire PC
it is for a home recording studio so i dont really need to worry about a video / graphics card, the one i have should do fine. or a sound card because the audio interface takes care of that.

i need more memory, and a faster processor, and that means i have to choose a new mother board.
i understand different mother boards work with different processors.

what i dont understand is why some processors will be say 2.4Ghz and they will be 200, while i can get another 3.2ghz processor for 180.

i understand dual core and quad core means there are 2/4 processors..is this a big advantage? is a 2.4ghz quad core better than a 3.2ghz dual core?

if someone would be willing to help me shop on new egg or maybe talk me through some shit on AIM (or give some advice on here) it would help a ton
i have already done a ton of googlesearches but i dont have the exact answer i need...
lol it's always "PC Help" never "mac help"...
but instead of buying a bunch of audio cards and inputs, you really just need a new computer with firewire, and get an interface to plug your microphone/midi/guitar into...

that's what i do... but i gots no audio clips uploaded to show the quality, but it'll do, even if you're pretty serious.

EDIT: hellz yes 2.4 ghz quadcore is better than 3.2 dual core... but dang, i don't think you'd need that much i'd say 1.83 dual core is plenty...
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Last edited by tjbhdeath squad at Nov 6, 2008,
i have already got an audio interface
a presonus firestudio project
(it also works with mac)
i have the specs for it, but once i start adding plugins the computer lags and crashes.
i need like a shit ton of memory
and a fast ass processor
i just want to make sure i choose the best one
and i need some help doing that
Quote by tjbhdeath squad
lol it's always "PC Help" never "mac help"...
but instead of buying a bunch of audio cards and inputs, you really just need a new computer with firewire, and get an interface to plug your microphone/midi/guitar into...

that's what i do... but i gots no audio clips uploaded to show the quality, but it'll do, even if you're pretty serious.

EDIT: hellz yes 2.4 ghz quadcore is better than 3.2 dual core... but dang, i don't think you'd need that much i'd say 1.83 dual core is plenty...

i want it to be more than i need, i dont mind spending money i plan on spending about 250-350 dollars.

can you please explain to me why it works like that?
like is 3.2 dual core
actually 6.4 processing speed?
make quad core like 9.6?
ok, if you're searching on new egg, they have great deals, but don't be fooled by imitators, purchase the big brands that you heard of like intel, and amd, or kingston, others are cheap, because their circuitry is so slammed, it'll fry up and crash...
I don't charge much...

Er, sounds like all you really need is a modern motherboard appropriate for whatever cpu you choose.

Multi-core is the future of cpus but right now there aren't that many programs optimised for them, so whether you go dual or quad is up to you, but a quad core will probably run you better in the long run. A good dual core would be better than a shit quad core.

If you're planning on a 32bit OS get 3GB RAM, anything more is a bit of a waste since the 32bit architecture doesn't fully utilise any more.
Take recording questions and such to R&R.
You DO want a video card even if you use the computer as a DAW...trust me

Also see Tweak;s Guide in my sig for more info on computers and recording.

The new dual and quad core processors are nice but I suggest waiting for Intels new i7 processors with come out around the middle of this month. They use a new socket type so you need a new MB but if you are running a single core chances are you will already need a new MB with your new dual or quad core processor anyways...

The i7s have some great reviews out so far, it is a processor I am saving up for as well.

IMO, you dont need a real high end machine for recording. Just get yourself a dual core processor and 3GB of good RAM. some 7200RPM drives will speed things up as well. Most MBs have a firewire port for your interface so you should be good there.

I run a cheap 2GHz single core process right now...AMD as well and my PC is holding up quite nice for any of my audio recording. I do need an upgrade for my video productions though.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by nine01n
i want it to be more than i need, i dont mind spending money i plan on spending about 250-350 dollars.

like is 3.2 dual core
make quad core like 9.6?

yeah, you got it, but altogether, that's better than a 9.6 single core, becuase the four processors working together is more effecient and like i said, less likely to fry up...

make sure you buy a processor that is compatible and fits in your desktop pc, (just make sure that your computer's specs match the processors cache, and socket type, but that's the only two things you should be worrying about, compatibility wise...
I don't charge much...

Quote by nine01n

like is 3.2 dual core
make quad core like 9.6?
It's not quite like that.

You have multi cores it means the calculations are split throughout the multiple cores.

So although the individual cores are usually slower the whole unit is actually rattling through the information faster, but it's not cumulative, so a 3.2ghz dual core isn't like having a 6.4ghz single core.

Basically faster processors run hotter and putting in multiple slower cores was the only way to get faster performance without requiring a cooling rig the size of a car to stop them melting 10 minutes after booting.
Quote by nine01n

like is 3.2 dual core
make quad core like 9.6?
No, what "3.2GHz dual-core" means is that the processor has 2 cores which each run independently at 3.2GHz.
what do you guys think of this?

this is my processor ive chosen -
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

for motherboards i have these 2 options..please tell me what is better

ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131296

DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043

and then for memory -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220348
^if i get the first motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
^get like 4-8 gigs of this if i get the second motherboard

what do you guys think?
i think i want the second processor because it uses ddr2 800 memory which is way cheaper then ddr2 1200 memory (idk why)

i want this shit to run smooth as hell. i use cubase 4, i want to be able to use as many plugins as i want and i want it to run well, no lagging. will this cut it? and also please tell me which motherboard you think i should get.

will my current power supply work with the new computer?
i plan on taking the current one apart to get out the video card and use it in the new one
and also the power supply

thank you guys so much
Last edited by nine01n at Nov 6, 2008,
oh also - my current cpu only has a 40gb internal harddrive
all that is on this harddrive is windows

i install EVERything else on a 500gb external drive
although really the only things on the comp are cubase, firefox, and windows and plugins
do i need to get a bigger internal drive?
Motherboard : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024

Cpu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Ram : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220278

Get that with Vista SP1 (preferably 64 bits if your audio programs/hardware supports it) and you're good to go for a couple years.

Edit : ^Cheap motherboard + cheap Ram = baaad. Ever wondered why most people have problems with their prefab pc's? Cheap mobo and Ram. These 2 and the power supply are the 3 most important things in a PC (regarding performance and stability). I'd also recommend getting another power supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002 this is good/cheap). You're better off spending a little extra money now and still being happy with your computer in 2 years man.
Last edited by Freddedonna at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by Freddedonna
Motherboard : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024

Cpu : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Ram : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220278

Get that with Vista SP1 (preferably 64 bits if your audio programs/hardware supports it) and you're good to go for a couple years.

thank you but that is a tad pricey
could you look at what i picked out and tell me what you think
however i may end up going with your option if you think it is really worth the extra money
^See my edited post. You don't wanna go cheap on computer parts, you'll just end up paying more in the long run.
my budget is like 400dollars MAX though
and that stuff goes way over 500
can you answer my question about hte internal harddrive? does it make a difference if i install verything on an external drive?
Important

If you're using a 32bit OS it doesn't matter how much RAM you fire in there, the OS will not recognise more than 4GB of it. 8 would be a total waste.
Quote by nine01n
my budget is like 400dollars MAX though
and that stuff goes way over 500
can you answer my question about hte internal harddrive? does it make a difference if i install verything on an external drive?

It doesn't really change anything, except that it runs faster and has a better chance of crashing. You can get nice Seagate 250 gig drive for about 100 bucks or less now anyway. Your choice though (if you want to keep your internal drive, I would still save everything on it and when the file is saved/edited, copy it on the external drive).

As for the budget thing, you should really save a little more. 35 bucks for 2 gigs of Ram = 35 bucks worth of Ram.
Quote by Freddedonna
It doesn't really change anything, except that it runs faster and has a better chance of crashing. You can get nice Seagate 250 gig drive for about 100 bucks or less now anyway. Your choice though (if you want to keep your internal drive, I would still save everything on it and when the file is saved/edited, copy it on the external drive).

As for the budget thing, you should really save a little more. 35 bucks for 2 gigs of Ram = 35 bucks worth of Ram.

you are really helpful, but do you think you could rethink the processor / motherboard / ram
for 400 dollars or less?
^^ that looks good, i might be willing to throw in a little bit more on the motherboard though
like when i addedi t up i can actually spend about 150 on the mother baord
rather than the 100$ one you chose

edit -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043

how about that motherboard?
will it work fine with the intel quad core?
and lastly it doesnt ahve any firewire ports
can i easily buy a firewire port and add it?
Last edited by nine01n at Nov 6, 2008,
stick with a 32 bit OS as most sequencers for audio dont work on 64...also you only need 3GB of RAM on a 32 bit system. You are buying quite a bit...you could do it with $400 but it's a little close...

yes you can easily buy a PCI card that has firewire ports on it which will run around $20
Quote by nine01n

i think i want the second processor because it uses ddr2 800 memory which is way cheaper then ddr2 1200 memory (idk why)

Because 1200 is the bus speed. It's much faster than 800.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
They have the same socket (LGA 775)

mobo:
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Type Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium
FSB 1333/1066MHz

cpu:
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type LGA 775

Name Core 2 Quad Q6600
Operating Frequency 2.4GHz
FSB 1066MHz
^^ im sorry man this is gibberish to me

so my 3 picks will or will not work together?
...It couldn't be much clearer, the mobo supports quad cores with a LGA 775 socket and the cpu is a quad core that inserts into a LGA 775 socket.
Quote by nine01n
^^ im sorry man this is gibberish to me

so my 3 picks will or will not work together?

It will work. Having the same socket means the CPU has the right connection to the mobo.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana