Now that I'm getting into more guitar customizing, I'm reading these things about orange drop capacitors. There's not much about them that I found. What are they? What do they do? How do they affect your guitar? Etc.
They're capacitors made by Sprague, and apparently they're pretty good.They are very orange (see guitarfetish for example pics).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
They're capacitors made by Sprague, and apparently they're pretty good.They are very orange (see guitarfetish for example pics).

But what exactly do they DO? Why change them out in your guitar?
better tone.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
better tone.

So if I got a new guitar, you would suggest getting them? And what do the different values mean? like .047 and stuff.
Caps have the ability to filter certain frequencies depending on their value. The higher the value, the bigger the range of freqs it can filter. They pass highs more easily than lows, so when you wire it parallel to a pot and ground, it passes those highs straight to ground and out of the signal (with the pot controlling how much signal the cap sees).

Another use is variable caps in radios can be tuned to let only 1 freq through at a time (hence only hearing 1 radio station at a time). All those waves from the different stations are picked up by the antenna, but a variable cap (and other shit) only lets 1 freq through at a time.

That's an extremely simplified explanation...

Idk how the hell an Orange Drop can be better tone than a regular polyester film "greenie", though. Tone-freak mojo, I guess.
Quote by Invader Jim
Caps have the ability to filter certain frequencies depending on their value. The higher the value, the bigger the range of freqs it can filter. They pass highs more easily than lows, so when you wire it parallel to series with a pot and ground, it passes those highs straight to ground and out of the signal (with the pot controlling how much signal the cap sees).
*fixed*

Quote by Invader Jim
Another use is variable caps in radios can be tuned to let only 1 freq through at a time (hence only hearing 1 radio station at a time). All those waves from the different stations are picked up by the antenna, but a variable cap (and other shit) only lets 1 freq through at a time.

That's an extremely simplified explanation...
emphasis on the other shit. it's the combination of inductance and capacitance that makes a tuned circuit.

Quote by Invader Jim
Idk how the hell an Orange Drop can be better tone than a regular polyester film "greenie", though. Tone-freak mojo, I guess.
hype, mostly.

caps DO sound different. Steve Bench has a write-up on different cap types and their effect. complete with oscilloscope traces so you can actually see what's going on.

but these differences are apparent when using the cap to couple the entire signal from one stage of an amplifier to the next. when you're simply using the cap to shunt the highs to ground, the differences are not really worth mentioning.

unless you're a vendor selling vintage bumble-bee caps for $25 a piece.
then you mention your ass off.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i just googled for it:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sound+of+capacitors&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGFB_en__227US227

it's easy to spot the link. it was by steve bench on AOL. (sbench102)

those bastards shut the whole AOL hometown site down!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
So, this thread has taught me not to worry about caps, just get some and use them?

Thanks you electrical whizzes.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
So, this thread has taught me not to worry about caps, just get some and use them?

in a guitar, yeah. pretty much that. just pick the size and use a green chicklet, film cap, w/e. even the dreaded ceramic caps would make a barely noticeable difference. and ONLY when you have a strong tone cut.

when the tone pot is at max, the cap isn't doing squat.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
My two cents is that it matters. I've noticed a very big difference between all the caps I've tried.
The difference between a ceramic disc and an orange drop cap is just a few cents- you might as well get both and decide for yourself.
While were at the subject, I've personally always wondered how electrolytics would sound for HP filters in guitars, you know, a bunch of series 0.1uF's from Mouser to create a ~0.047uF or so.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by Øttər

In guitars then yeah... pretty much. If you have a good amp then you might be able to hear a small difference, but it'll be very small. I can't hear a difference between ceramic and orangedrop caps unless the tone is really turned down (like someone said) but I can hear a slight difference when I'm using Mallory or vitamin T caps. Sill... It's a very slight difference. Amps are a different story though.

Quote by asfastasdark
While were at the subject, I've personally always wondered how electrolytics would sound for HP filters in guitars, you know, a bunch of series 0.1uF's from Mouser to create a ~0.047uF or so.

Electrolytics have a shelf life and the less you use them the faster the go dead. A guitar doesn't produce enough energy to keep electrolytics functioning which means that after a year or 2 it's going to stop working the way you want it to work. Most other types of caps will last a lifetime so even if they do sound great, I still wouldn't recomend electrolytic caps in a guitar.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Nov 8, 2008,
Quote by asfastasdark
that would probably sound awful.

electrolytics really need to have a DC potential across them to work properly.
you don't have that in a guitar.
in the forward direction, it would act like a capacitor.
in the reverse direction, it would conduct - hard.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411