yeah its me again guys, i'm not sure if you remember but heres the thread from a while back. http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=978745&highlight=nick54321

The amp works great now, i started to use the effects loop and i just got a isp decimator which is even more awesome. but there is a "minor" problem.

ever since i got the isp decimator, i haven't really noticed any feedback and hiss, etc, and i haven't had much time to play on the clean channel either.

so i decided to play clean the other day, and it sounded really bassy. i experimented and i think that something inside is causing the problem. like something is making a ZZZZZ sound inside, even though the bass is only on like 4 or 5. even when i keep it on like one, something vibrates inside making a ZZZZZZZ sound.

and call me crazy, but when i turned off my noise gate (isp decimator) i put my ear next to the amp and i coulda sworn i heard radio channels. like i heard a person talking and music playing. so whats up?

so the people i called in the title, if you remember, did connecting the contact posts or anything have to do with this? thanks
The rattling could be anything, maybe even something in the room, one way to test is to turn the amp up loud and make your guitar feedback, set it down and see if touching stuff makes the buzz stop.

Radio channels are no biggie if it's very quiet, it's just a bit of poor shielding that's allowing the circuit to pick up RF interference, if it doesn't bother you when the gate is on don't worry about it.

Edit: by touching stuff I mean screws and such on the amp and things that may rattle in the room. You could also try placing your amp off the ground and see if that makes a difference. I'd also check to see the speaker is screwed in tight.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Just keep turning down the bass. That is gonna be your cheapest alternative. As for the rattling, it might be something in the room. Thats what it usually is for me.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Kevin Saale
Edit: by touching stuff I mean screws and such on the amp and things that may rattle in the room. You could also try placing your amp off the ground and see if that makes a difference. I'd also check to see the speaker is screwed in tight.

That's what I was going to suggest.
yeah - Kevin pretty much nailed it.

If your tubes were going 'microphonic' that would accentuate the problem but I doubt that is the case. You have been thru a lot tho, so it wouldn't hurt to start checking into a new set of tubes.

research on dougstubes.com

is your amp on a separate outlet or a power strip with a bunch of other stuff??
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 22, 2010,
Quote by Kevin Saale

I'm sure you already know but just in case.... he doesn't mean check the screws on the speaker while its switched on. In fact he doesn't mean touch anything in the back of the amp until the plug is out.

Sorry, had to post, I'd have worried about it.
^It wouldn't hurt him, I pulled the preamp tubes out of the F30 I had while it was on standby all the time. The capacitors in the amp are what's dangerous and why newbies shouldn't fool around in the chassis.

You really don't need to check the speaker while your playing, just make sure all the screws are locked down tight and all have about the same amount of torque on them, if you over tighten one that can cause rattles
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The rattling could be the tubes. That happens on both my amps.
As for bassy, I've often found when I have way to much bass and I can't get rid of it, that the tone knob on my guitar is often rolled all the way back.
And the radio thing is perfectly normal.
mmm well i checked all the screws on the speakers / gates on the back and all the screws are in tightly.

so "why" would the tubes be rattling in the first place? =\

and not sure if this is the problem but it might help. it's kinda hard to explain so bear with me. okay, if you look at the combo amp (b-52 at112) from the BACK view with all the fx loops and stuff are, theres a head, and then under it, the metal grate is covering the speakers right?

the head part of the combo is held by 4 long screws from the TOP view of the amp right? well i lost one of the screws from"messing" around with me amp, so there are only 3 screws that are holding the head up.

so could that be the problem?
yeah i'm thinking its that now, not the tubes. anyways, the volume is at 4ish when i play, and it's at the point where you can't hear the rattle or vibration inside, so i guess it's okay. but would it damage anything if i don't get it fixed? =\
probably not, as long as the other screws stay in place.
It's not like it's a difficult fix though, take out one of the other screws, take it to a hardware store, and ask them to give you one of the same, then go home and screw them in.
actually , i still have the screw, its just the thing that holds the screw. its like a silver square thing that goes at the end of the screw on the other side of the head, if that makes any sense. and i still have em, i just can't reach it all the way to the back to stick the square thing in (in order to put the screw in) unless i take the whole head part out, and i don't wanna do that, ahaha.

sorry if its confusing
hey i just saw this, did you fix it yet?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011