Okay GG&A, I finally got my Crate V33-212.

Off topic - this thing is LOUD.

On topic - I have a Metal Muff and an MXR EQ, and I found a Boss DS-1 lying around. Back when my Valvetronix was my main amp (...yesterday), I had the Metal Muff and the EQ going from my guitar into the amp's direct input (there's no effects loop on mine, and the signal chain was like this: Kramer --> Metal Muff --> MXR EQ --> Valvetronix.

Now that I have the Crate with the effects loop, I'm absolutely baffled by it. So I have a few questions (and please don't tell me to search for any of these, because I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to find any similar situations or answers to any of these questions):

1) When I put the Metal Muff and the EQ in the effects loop itself, I can't get the actual metal sound that I know that I can get with the Metal Muff, so what gives? Do I have it EQ'd wrong?

2) When I do the signal chain like I had with my Valvetronix, I get the high-gain, screaming metal that I'm after, but it's as if there's no life to the sound, if that makes sense. What can I do (if anything) with my EQ and the tri-band EQ on the Metal Muff to fix this?

3) When I do get an OD (which would be Christmas at the latest), should I keep with my initial impressions and get the Fulltone OCD, or is there another OD that's better for metal (Tubescreamer maybe)? Or is there another distortion pedal that would work better than the Metal Muff?

4) If I can't keep the Metal Muff and the EQ in the same signal path, should I put the Metal Muff before the amp, and the EQ in the effects loop? It's just absolutely mind-boggling as to why I can't get a searing metal sound when the Metal Muff is in the effects loop, as I said before.

And just out of curiosity - Is there going to be ANY application for the DS-1 at all in any kind of high-gain sound, or is that going to be more for a little dirtier jazz/blues stuff?

I know there are a lot of questions, but I really want a lively metal sound, but I'm not sure that I can do it with the Metal Muff anymore, since it's a distortion pedal and not an overdrive.

Thanks!

p.s. - If I can figure out or if someone can tell me how to put soundbytes up w/o me having a mic with this amp, I'll put some clips up to describe the sounds that I'm talking about.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Last edited by Idiosyncracy at Nov 6, 2008,
well dont put it in the effects loop, it sounds better when put in the actual input.

and i have a solid state crate with an effects loop and it sounds lifeless.

if its a solid state then it will sound lifeless next to the valvetronix
Quote by caskettheclown
well dont put it in the effects loop, it sounds better when put in the actual input.

and i have a solid state crate with an effects loop and it sounds lifeless.

if its a solid state then it will sound lifeless next to the valvetronix

It's not solid state, it's one of the V Series cheap tube amps.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by Idiosyncracy
It's not solid state, it's one of the V Series cheap tube amps.

im not completely sure then.

just dont put it in the effects loop input but instead put it in the main guitar input.
Metal Muff goes in front of the amp. The EQ goes in the effects loop.

You could put your DS-1 in front of the muff and use that as a boost, too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^Wouldn't he then have to worry about really bad feedback?

To TS, maybe you should wait until you get the OD to push your amp and then just use it instead of the Muff. Or combine them. But then again, I'm not familiar with your amp or the Metal Muff, so my input may be worthless lol.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Nothing,because I wouldn't pay to have a childhood fear strip for me,no matter what sick variation of the clown car routine they come up with.

Taste the Meat, Not the Heat.
LISTEN TO DEVIN TOWNSEND!
^Wouldn't he then have to worry about really bad feedback?

To TS, maybe you should wait until you get the OD to push your amp and then just use it instead of the Muff. Or combine them. But then again, I'm not familiar with your amp or the Metal Muff, so my input may be worthless lol.

I do think that I'll just get an OD within the next month or so.

The Metal Muff doesn't cause feedback really, it's minor hum more than anything.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by Idiosyncracy
I do think that I'll just get an OD within the next month or so.

The Metal Muff doesn't cause feedback really, it's minor hum more than anything.

The distortion should go after the guitar and before the amp. The EQ can go anywhere.. depends on what you are going after. With your setup, because the EQ on the metal muff is pretty good, I'd try guitar>eq>mm>amp. This way you get eq before the distortion, then the mm eq'd distortion and then your amps eq.