Hey,

My band is going to be recording onto a computer and we need an external sound card and I need a recommendations. We already have a decent mixer to plug into said driver so the driver doesn't need more than 1-2 inputs. It needs to have headphones out for monitors, though.

Something under $250 would be good.
why external?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
why external?

Because we don't want to install an internal... I'm sure there are some good externals, right?

Way to not answer my question, dick.
Quote by proswimmer89
wow look who the dick is here...

I hate you all so much, I ask a simple question and get no answers and tears because I'm "mean".
Well, you shouldn't have been such an arsehole, then.

Christ.

Anyway, there are plenty of good USB and Firewire units available with 2 inputs. The Mackie Onyx Satellite is a great Firewire choice (but won't work with Vista). I get great results with the USB Alesis io2, if you're on a tighter budget. There's also the EMU 0404.

At the end of the day though, the way you're planning to record isn't optimum. All the instruments you record will be bounced down to two tracks (effectively a stereo track, as one will pan left and right I assume). This will give you little control over the editing and mixing of the song. Therefore, I would suggest another interface, the Presonus Firepod (FP10). This has 8 inputs, all of which will go to a different track on the computer, and you won't need to use the mixer.

This will give you better control over your mix, and thus the potential to make a better recording. It's a great interface too.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Well, you shouldn't have been such an arsehole, then.

Christ.

Anyway, there are plenty of good USB and Firewire units available with 2 inputs. The Mackie Onyx Satellite is a great Firewire choice (but won't work with Vista). I get great results with the USB Alesis io2, if you're on a tighter budget. There's also the EMU 0404.

At the end of the day though, the way you're planning to record isn't optimum. All the instruments you record will be bounced down to two tracks (effectively a stereo track, as one will pan left and right I assume). This will give you little control over the editing and mixing of the song. Therefore, I would suggest another interface, the Presonus Firepod (FP10). This has 8 inputs, all of which will go to a different track on the computer, and you won't need to use the mixer.

This will give you better control over your mix, and thus the potential to make a better recording. It's a great interface too.

We already have a mixer separately, though. We're still recording each instrument track by track and mixing from there.. so don't worry.

I got a card anyway.