I just bought my first acoustic guitar and have been noticing some strange squiggly lines. Is this just imperfections in the wood or something else? I dont remember if they were there when I bought it. This is a solid spruce top.
Attachments:
IMG_0430.jpg
Quote by dmm128
I just bought my first acoustic guitar and have been noticing some strange squiggly lines. Is this just imperfections in the wood or something else? I dont remember if they were there when I bought it. This is a solid spruce top.

may just be the wood.
looks cool IMO
What you're seeing here is a grain irregularity known as "Bear Claw". You will notice that the pattern repeats/is mirrored from one side to the other, meaning that this was bookmatched from the same piece of wood. Is this a solid spruce top?

If this is solid top, then what you have here is a very desirable piece of wood for a guitar top, usually commanding something of a premium in price, and reserved for higher-end axes...but only if it's a solid top. It doesn't affect the tone one way or the other, but is prized for it's cosmetic uniqueness.

If it's laminated, then the builder needs to be horsewhipped for wasting a beautiful bear claw on a cheaper axe.
Quote by maxtheaxe
What you're seeing here is a grain irregularity known as "Bear Claw". You will notice that the pattern repeats/is mirrored from one side to the other, meaning that this was bookmatched from the same piece of wood. Is this a solid spruce top?

If this is solid top, then what you have here is a very desirable piece of wood for a guitar top, usually commanding something of a premium in price, and reserved for higher-end axes...but only if it's a solid top. It doesn't affect the tone one way or the other, but is prized for it's cosmetic uniqueness.

If it's laminated, then the builder needs to be horsewhipped for wasting a beautiful bear claw on a cheaper axe.

Wow! So its a good thing! Its a Martin D15 and it is a solid top, so I paid a pretty good price for it. Thanks for your help. And I was here worrying that something was wrong with it since its grain lines werent straight.
Hazelficte, aka "bear claw" is an irregularity that occurs in old growth trees. It's a desirable quality as it usually indicates a superior or higher grade specimen of wood.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Awe wow. "Bearclaw", is a rare irregularity? looks really nice Was this by luck that you came across?

i r jealous
=D
Hey, I'm going to have to remember that next time, all the while hoping that the seller doesn't know it's desirable

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
no there's nothing wrong with it. It's just the wood grains. But it looks cool though. Nice acoustic
I think guitars that are made of Plywood are great!
Quote by Alakazam
Awe wow. "Bearclaw", is a rare irregularity? looks really nice Was this by luck that you came across?

i r jealous

Yep, just pure luck. I went to guitar center to see some of the Martins and since I wanted a lefty they needed to order it. So I never saw the guitar before it showed up at my door step. Is it uncommon to see this on Martins?