Hi everyone. Christmas is coming up soon and I decided that I'm going to try for a new set of pickups.
My amp is a B-52 AT112. The Guitar I'm dropping them in is a basswood Ibanez RG 270 with an OFR I added.
I think it's time for the stock Powersounds ones to go lol.

My main influences are Chuck Schuldiner of Death, Petrucci, and James Hetfield.
So as you can see, I like the distortion quite a bit lol. I'm not interested in playing jazz or country or even hard rock. I want METAL. I use distortion more than I do cleans, but I do occasionally use cleans, so I'd like something that doesn't completly destroy them.

The sound I'm looking for is a tight, articulate, focused punch on the bridge and smooth and creamy but articulate on the neck. I've narrowed it down to these choices:

-Dimarzio X2N- I know that Chuck used them.

-Dimarzio Air Norton-Petrucci uses them, and I'll probably pair it with whatever Dimarzio bridge i go with.

-Dimarzio Drop Sonic- Again, JP uses them, and I tune to D standard.

-Rockfield Mafia-Don't know much about it, but reviews are good, and it's cheap.

-SD Hotrodded Set- I hear people rave about Sd's. This seems like a pretty good deal.Isn't this the combo that Mustaine used for so long?
here's the link in case no one knows-http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030

Sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated and thanks for your time.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Nothing,because I wouldn't pay to have a childhood fear strip for me,no matter what sick variation of the clown car routine they come up with.

Taste the Meat, Not the Heat.
LISTEN TO DEVIN TOWNSEND!
How did you not think of a DiMarzio Evolution?

I've got one in the bridge of my S, and it rips.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I play prog metal and just got a DiMarzio D Activator X, the X2N with the D Activator technology applied to it, giving it the clarity of active pickups and cleans that can rival a strat. Check it out, and if you don't like it within 30 days you can send it to DiMarzio and they'll send you something else to try.

Haven't tried it yet, cuz the guy I know who knows how to solder can't find his iron and can't get a hold of one ><

*checks out your profile*

And move to southwest Virginia and join my band! LOL!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
emgz? or fullshred in the bridge and jazz in the neck
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
I've heard a lot of good things about the DiMarzio D-Activators, I'm going to get a pair for my RR3 soon
ohai little sig.
Hmm, Stratoblaster, I completly forgot about the Evos. But I hear that they're more of a full-on shred pickup. I play alot more rythym than leads.

To Shinozoku sucks to hear about you're predicament. Hope everything gets lined out. I thought about the D-X's but I'm not entirely sure. I heard that the original De-activators had problems with sounding dull and whatnot. I can't really look up sound clips on my connection and No one sells anything with Dimarzios around here. Or anything but EMGs for that matter lol. If you get yours running sometime soon, could you let me know your thoughts? If I lived near you and had my liscence I'd check your band out lol. The scene around here's pretty crappy if non existant. There are mostly just a screamo band or metal-core band round here. I'm not bashing, just not my cup of tea lol. And besides that, EVERYTHING else is gospel or bluegrass.

It'd be kinda hard to ask a gospel or bluegrass player "Hey, let's have a friendly jam on Pull the Plug, or Creeping Death, or As I am." lol

-And to Selkies, I'm not too keen on EMGs. I mean, they are fine, but they cost quite a bit and would I have to worry about EMGs making me sound like everyone else and their mom?
And I don't really know anything bout the Fullshred. I think the Jazz is in the Hotrodded Set.

I'm sorry if seems like I'm blowing everyone's answers off, but I am taking them into consideration. I'm open to suggestions. And with it being the internet and all, it's hard to make my sincerity come across lol.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Nothing,because I wouldn't pay to have a childhood fear strip for me,no matter what sick variation of the clown car routine they come up with.

Last edited by Electroshred at Nov 6, 2008,
Nah man I play predominantly rhythm. Just roll off the volume a notch or so and you're good. They've got aweesome mid range, and it cuts through th emix really nicely. You can shred on them, but they do rhythm well. Good, balanced tone.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
bridge pup - dimarzio d-sonic
neck pup - dimarzio air norton or evolution
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Hmm, such good answers, thanks guys lol. StratOblaster, I just might look into the Evos. I had wanted them for so long when I went through my Vai phase lol. I just might go back to them lol. I usually roll my tone controls down a but anyways lol. Do you ever have a problem with yours "honking"? like I've heard from some people?

JLT, that's actually a combo I was thinking lol. BTW, props on the S470.
Quote by Pr0gNut

Quote by Electroshred
Hmm, such good answers, thanks guys lol. StratOblaster, I just might look into the Evos. I had wanted them for so long when I went through my Vai phase lol. I just might go back to them lol. I usually roll my tone controls down a but anyways lol. Do you ever have a problem with yours "honking"? like I've heard from some people?

JLT, that's actually a combo I was thinking lol. BTW, props on the S470.

I have the d-sonic in my s470 and I love it. In the neck I have the Humbucker from hell which is a very kickass, articulate, single coil type tone.

I have the evo in my LTD and it has never honked. haha I never even heard of that.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
LoL, maybe honk was the wrong word, but it's dang fun to use lol. I've just heard that Evo have a VERY prononced midrange and it's kind of a love it or castrate it kind of thing. I was just afraid of an Evo sounding too thin for rythym work lol.

But a D-Sonic is definitaly high on the list of what's being considered. I just love JP's tone.

Hmm, maybe a D-Sonic in the bridge and a Breed in the neck? I hear them reccommened quite a bit.
Quote by Pr0gNut

Last edited by Electroshred at Nov 6, 2008,
Quote by Electroshred
LoL, maybe honk was the wrong word, but it's dang fun to use lol. I've just heard that Evo have a VERY prononced midrange and it's kind of a love it or castrate it kind of thing. I was just afraid of an Evo sounding too thin for rythym work lol.

But a D-Sonic is definitaly high on the list of what's being considered. I just love JP's tone.

Hmm, maybe a D-Sonic in the bridge and a Breed in the neck? I hear them reccommened quite a bit.

the evos are def. loud and pronounced with midrange. Its like a really clean distortion. I enjoy it. Mistakes shine brightly through.

the breed is a great neck pickup as well.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Would I be able to get a pretty good Disto with them without it sounding to Vai-ish? As for it picking up mistakes, hmmm better get to practicing lol. JLT, you've owned both the D-Sonic and EVO, which do you think would better suite me? I've got an agressive right hand and use legato alot as well.

And I really want a thick, but tight tone, but extremely articulate and not SUPER duper treblely.
Quote by Pr0gNut

Last edited by Electroshred at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by Electroshred
Would I be able to get a pretty good Disto with them without it sounding to Vai-ish? As for it picking up mistakes, hmmm better get to practicing lol.

yea. But I think the d-sonic kicks its ass big time. the evo is a great pickup, but its not my personal favorite
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
So I should probably go with a D-sonic and Air Norton? I mean if you were me?
Quote by Pr0gNut

Quote by Shinozoku
I play prog metal and just got a DiMarzio D Activator X, the X2N with the D Activator technology applied to it, giving it the clarity of active pickups and cleans that can rival a strat. Check it out, and if you don't like it within 30 days you can send it to DiMarzio and they'll send you something else to try.

Haven't tried it yet, cuz the guy I know who knows how to solder can't find his iron and can't get a hold of one ><

*checks out your profile*

And move to southwest Virginia and join my band! LOL!

I'd +1 to that... but I need to check, does your RG have a pickguard?

At some point in time I've have the X2N, the D Activator X and a D Sonic grace my RG (i'm not sure of the model number, I'm gonna have to post a picture to ask which line it is, altho I'm certain its a 270.

The X2N based pickups are awesome (both the X2N and the D Activator X). Truly chugging, clear and defined. Its is capable of "scream out the gates of hell" distortion, but there's a sacrifice of tone. When its clean, its literally bordering on mild overdrive on the clean channel of any amp.

However, if you have a pickguard, the Pups sound slightly hollow. Compared to a when you have it on a fully solid (i.e. no pickguard). The cavity under the pickguard makes it sound like it missing something. Like its slightly brittle. The other thing you'd want to take note of is the fact that the X2N based pickups haVe excessively powerful magnets, and really amplifies the natural tone of your guitars, for darker guitars that are made of basswood, you might want to consider lowering the bass side a little more and bring the treble side of the Pup a little closer to the strings if you do go with the X2N or DAX.

If I were you, I try them out, but I think the D Sonic might be a better choice. Amazing cleans and awesome definition with pronounced mids and supporting low. Great for pinch harmonics, but with "full balls to the wall" distortion, the D Sonic sounds like its struggling a little. However, if you're just using moderate - slightly higher than moderate distortion, you should be fine (i.e. probably going no higher than level 6 on the gain knob), the definition of the D Sonic will really cut through the mix.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by Electroshred
So I should probably go with a D-sonic and Air Norton? I mean if you were me?

Sorry, didn't notice the posts.

You can try D-Sonic (bridge) and Evo2 (neck).

I used to have that set up, pretty good for lead and rythmn work, but not really great if you're aiming for the Brootalzzz.

Both are quite hot pickups with good definition, but the tone might be a little too "saturated", and sound between the bridge and neck a little similar for some people to like.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
What about the original D Activators? They handle distortion almost as well as the X's, and they're definitely better for cleans. Lower output pickups in general.

And they're NOT dull, listen to any Necrophagist album
Quote by JLT73
I have the d-sonic in my s470 and I love it. In the neck I have the Humbucker from hell which is a very kickass, articulate, single coil type tone.

I have the evo in my LTD and it has never honked. haha I never even heard of that.

haha. i have one in my Ibanez, i've never heard of that either. it actually has alot more gain than i thought.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Hmmm. I'm really leaning towards the D-sonic and Air Norton now. lol. The kind of gain I'm looking for is somewhere between Sound of Perseverance era Death and Dream Theater's Train of Thought albums, but mostly leaning towards ToT like distortion.

To Ragingkitty, I have no pickguard. Direct mount baby.

I've got a B-52 At112. Is it considered high gain? I've heard heard compared to recto's before, so I just assumed. On that amp my gain is around 7-9, and I occasionally use a tubescreamer and eq. And I love a good chug, but still want my high's well defined but I don't want a mid-scoop if that makes any sense?

So I guess the only questions left is would the D-sonic do good for that sort of situation? And would I need F-space or regular for both the Bridge and Neck?
Quote by Pr0gNut

Last edited by Electroshred at Nov 7, 2008,
I love Dimarzios...

In my Ibanez SZ I have a PAF Joe neck and a Steve's Special bridge. They aren't necessarily made for metal, but they can handle anything you throw at them and I love how the combination sounds.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
the d-sonic IMHO is the better choice for you
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Groovy. I think I've settled on the D-sonic/Air Norton combo. Thanks for your help guys, especially you JLT. Another crisis solved by UG.
Quote by Pr0gNut