I've been trying to get more out of the guitars I have, so I've decided to switch out the standard pickups in my main axes.

One of the guitars is an HSH setup with a Floyd Rose tremolo system, and I'm looking for a nice balance of crunch and clean between the two humbuckers. I'm heavily considering a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge, but I'm looking for a clean, responsive pickup to counter-balance it in the neck.

Anyone have suggestions?

~C2
I don't recommend the Invader at all.

It doesn't take a high output pickup to play metal. A good medium output pickup will do the job just as good if not better.

High output pickups I recommend are Dropsonic (DM), Evolution (DM), JB (SD), Duncan Distortion (SD), Custom Custom (SD), PAF Fred (DM), PAF Joe (DM)

Keep in mind you're going to want an F-spaced humbucker in the bridge because of the floyd rose.

As far as the neck goes, JB (SD), Jazz (SD), 59 (SD), Air Zone (DM), Evolution (DM), Norton (DM), and tone Zone
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
What kind of amp do you have?
What's lacking about your tone now?

I use solid-state amps. Not a big fan of the "warm tube" tone.

Right now, the tone's okay, but I'm looking to branch further. I've been reconsidering options, and I'm thinking about a TB-4 (I didn't know Seymour Duncan made an F-Spaced JB until yesterday) for the bridge and an SD Active Blackout for the neck. I like versatility, but I'd like to have extremes when I need them.
Quote by irok660
It was at that moment, if only briefly, I realized, that yes....Titties do make things better!!!!!

Quote by darkrikku
Kid: if i learn how to play an instrument, will i pick up chicks?
Salesmen: Not If Your Gay
Well, what amp, though?
Also, don't be so quick to discount tube amps. 99% of your favorite guitarists definitely use tube amps.

BTW, you can't mix active and passive pickups. Well, you can, but it's a bit of a hassle, and you have to install a buffer like EMG's boost circuit to make the passive pickup the same impedance as the active.

Also, I don't recommend using active pickups on a solid state amp. They're designed to drive the front end of a tube amp hard.
the Jazz JB combo is always good the Jazz in the neck gives you a natural sounding clean while rounding out your tone while the JB is medium high gain and more electric sounding contrasting to the Jazz's woody sound.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
I've seen actives and passives mixed before, but I'm not sure how much work had to go in it.

I've played on a tube amp before. It has a lot more power, but I just prefer solid-state sound. I suppose that's why they make hybrid amps, but those are hard to come by.

Anyway, I use a Drive guitar amp and a Johnson bass amp run together. Sounds amazing with an EQ. I'm looking to save up a bit and buy an Ibanez TBX150R Combo Amp eventually.
Quote by irok660
It was at that moment, if only briefly, I realized, that yes....Titties do make things better!!!!!

Quote by darkrikku
Kid: if i learn how to play an instrument, will i pick up chicks?
Salesmen: Not If Your Gay
I'd suggest you just save up for a real guitar amp setup...I really don't think buying pickups now is the solution, if you want to improve your tone. Pickups make a smaller difference in your tone than you think. Also, I'd aim higher than a Toneblaster...

And yes, they can be mixed - I'm well aware of how it works. It's just not worth it, IMO - and especially not worth it in your case considering I don't recommend that you get actives.

Also, they make hybrids to trick people into buying a cheaper than amp that supposedly captures the "valve sound". However, there are few hybrid amps that really capture the tube tone. Most are just glorified solid state amps, albeit with some modeling, in certain cases.