I haven't really been keeping track of how fast my picks wear out, but last weekend I started using my very last fender heavy pick. And it's already dull. Is this normal, or is it something with my technique?

Also, can anyone suggest any similar picks in thickness and feel that don't wear out as quickly?
i find the fender heavy picks to wear very quickly so nowadays i'm using Caparison picks mainly the CA pick though the ink on them gets rubbed off quickly
I'm not worried about the ink drying off. I've actually never heard of Caparison, I'll check them out.

-E- Omg, it's the same company that makes Romeo's guitars!

I remember reading that he used some japanese brand but I didn't do the research then.
Dunlop Tortex ftw. Fender's shred fast, those don't. Ya use em till ya loose em.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by tigerking615
I'm not worried about the ink drying off. I've actually never heard of Caparison, I'll check them out.

-E- Omg, it's the same company that makes Romeo's guitars!

I remember reading that he used some japanese brand but I didn't do the research then.

yeah the Caparison picks last for ages longer than the Fender ones. i remember having a pack of 12 of fender heavy's and by the first week i've worn out about 3 of them it was quite useless really.
Quote by classicrocker01
Dunlop Tortex ftw. Fender's shred fast, those don't. Ya use em till ya loose em.

+1 to that. i used to use fender medium and heavy picks but they wore out too quick and were slippery so i switched to .73 and .88 tortex's and have been loving them.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
i use 1mm and 3mm stubbies...
the 3mm is a tank
lululul
Quote by Alex The Red

If it doesn't have to do with tube amps or sex most of us don't really care..

Quote by Kutanmoogle

Looks like Lars Ulrich decided to become a hacker.

Quote by aaron6890
penises FTW

not in the gay way

<.<
>.>

Quote by mikeyElite
+1 to that. i used to use fender medium and heavy picks but they wore out too quick and were slippery so i switched to .73 and .88 tortex's and have been loving them.

+1
Quote by tigerking615
I haven't really been keeping track of how fast my picks wear out, but last weekend I started using my very last fender heavy pick. And it's already dull. Is this normal, or is it something with my technique?

Also, can anyone suggest any similar picks in thickness and feel that don't wear out as quickly?

I've been using the same Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm triangle pick since I bought the pack two months ago.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I use Jazz IIIs and their life span is forever, or until I lose them.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
i use the red dunlop jazz IIIs....they're beautiful!!! i usually like using really thin picks for clean rhythms or acoustic guitar, and Jazz III's for just about everything else. though i mix it up with normal size Dunlop tortex's as to get a good feel for what i like best....but i'm really likin' the Jazz III's the most.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Jazz III's for sure.... bastards never wear out!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
The Tortex's are great. I have been using them for a long time. For me, they last for about a month before it started to wear and the graphic faded till i did not know which was up and down

i play almost everyday and my green tortex lasted for about a month. it depends on how often you play to determine the lifespand of a pick
I think guitars that are made of Plywood are great!
Quote by tigerking615
Has anyone tried the Ultex, and how is it different from the Tortex?

the ultex is much smoother over the strings which is great and its even tougher and snappier.

ultex >>>>>> tortex IMO
Quote by tombo32
Ultex Jazz III's are invincible.

+1... until you drop 'em on your floor and lose them forever.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

lol

that's exactly what I was thinking
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Raijouta

Ultex are like the ninjas of picks. disappear and you're never able to find them
Quote by halvies
tortex is the god of picks, i use the orange 0.60mm ones. ive been using one for about a month and the only thing wrong thats happened is the print wearing off, i expect the pick itself will last a fair while

Exactly what i use, best picks I've ever used. If you relax your hand you can alternate pick so fast with these, i tried jumping on the Jazz III bandwagon, but they felt awful to me. Opinion i guess
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I use jazz IIIs or my personal favourite, sharpened and rounded 1.14mm tortex. Bright purple is hard to lose, and they are nice and big, unlike Jazz IIIs. If you get the shaping right they are so fast, and articulate, like a Jazz III XL on steroids.
I wish I could a pick comparable to one I bought many years ago. Made of carbon fiber with a pot leaf in raised relief on em. They arent made anymore but pretty much indestructable. The one I do have I bought in the early 90s found it inside one of my guitar cases not long ago. But yea the fenders do seem to wear pretty quick Ill switch to something else when I run out I bought 12 dozen a while back.
dunlop tortex's last sooooooooo long, i used fender heaveys before them 2 and i was amazed by the tortex's when i first started using em .73 all the way!
Fender MIM Stratocaster With YJM pickup in neck
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
DOD Yngwie J. Malmsteen OD
Digitech Rp 80
Plectr'os are great. They never wear out, are easy to hold, and come in yellow, which make them hard to lose. I've used the same 2 for many months without any degradation.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Even Jazz IIIs wear out for me, but I loved that shape and having a bit more thickness.

I use these now.

http://www.v-picks.com/OrderVPicks.html (terrible website layout though)

They're REALLY great, for any style of playing. Comfortable to hold, especially for bigger hands, and they make an instant difference in tone.

I use the small pointed ones, they're about the same as a Jazz III in area, but it's quite thicker.

Only downside is they cost like $4 each. But anyway, the reason I was posting this is because they last for-freaking-ever as long as you don't lose them.

For backup electric picks, I use the Jazz III-style 1.14mm Tortex ones, and I wear them down on purpose to a more rounded point. For acoustic I just use the big purple 1.14mm Tortex ones. They both hold up quite nicely.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Last edited by Exo M7 at Nov 7, 2008,
my only suggestion is don't strike the edge of the pick on the strings, you wanna hit the tip of the pick. that's my mistake. it wears out the sides of the pick. try and have the pick perpendicular to the strings and only use the end of the tip for strumming/picking.
i have this magical daddario purple pick that i've had for over 15 years and it still hasn't worn out.