So I'm saving up some money to save up for either an SG or a Les paul classic. Now I have four choices. To save up for a classic Les Paul, 61' Reissue SG, SG Standard, Or a schecter hellraiser. Now they're all amazing guitars, but I have to pick one.

So I look un to you my fair UGer's. What do you think?

(I can post pics if you wanna compare the looks)

Ignore what I said about double cut away les pauls. I'm seriously considering it now. It's a nice guitar it's not like 251290 dollars, and as far as I've seen...they're really original.
Last edited by ChrisL120 at Nov 7, 2008,
Which Hellraiser? It's a series, not a model, and people need to learn that.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
i think fair amount of us know what they look like i would go with either the sg standard since it has hotter pickups than the sg reissued, or the les paul classic.
id say hellraiser..
sgs feel like shit to me...
and i own a les paul and cant reach the 22nd fret area for shit...

again its all preference tho.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Which Hellraiser? It's a series, not a model, and people need to learn that.

c-1 FR

i spend too much time in gear ads.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Personally, I'd go for the Hellraiser Avenger, but I likes the shape, and the pickups better in that one, so that's why
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
im a les paul guy all the way i chose mine over both a hellraiser FR something and pretty much every kind of sg.

in my opinion though on the les paul id pur the classic aside and get a traditional
Ya, that's one of my options. As for the SG i currently own an SG special faded and I love how easy it is to access the upper frets. as for the les paul, they just play beautifully to me, and as for the C-1 FR, they rock when it comes to metal I want the re-issue because I hate the new pick guards on the SG.

So that's why I came to you guys. And if you could give me a reason why you picked what you did (not saying anyone didn't just saying, for reference) do so please. I'm really caught in between.

My friend and I are big fans of two different guitarists, Jimmy Page and Angus young (me being angus young, but I also love jimmy page, him not so much angus) So we made this pact that for our band I'll be the SG guy, he'll be the les paul guy, but I mean that's not gonna restrict me from getting a les paul (i mean what can really besides money :P) but it's also one of the reasons why I was like "sure I love SG's"
Quote by slihard
im a les paul guy all the way i chose mine over both a hellraiser FR something and pretty much every kind of sg.

in my opinion though on the les paul id pur the classic aside and get a traditional

...what's the difference? (Traditional/Classic)
Well why though. I don't mean to be rude but if you put reason to your words I'll believe ya more.
Les Paul Double Cut

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Double-Cutaway-Plain-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=513809
or
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Double-Cutaway-AA-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=513810

A les paul, but SG fret access

Note: I have used one of these but in a different finish (Cherry Sunburst) so those aren't the only finishes
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
Les Paul Double Cut

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Double-Cutaway-Plain-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=513809
or
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Double-Cutaway-AA-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=513810

A les paul, but SG fret access

Note: I have used one of these but in a different finish (Cherry Sunburst) so those aren't the only finishes

ahh totally forgotten about these. yes they are excellent. i would get that myself in a heart beat if i had the money
I have no real price range besides below 3k.

Double necks..I don't know. I just I've played one before but I'm not a fan. I've played all I can from schecters to ibanez to 3 pick up SG's. I don't like the double cuts. I mean it's original ya, but I'm more of an SG/Les Paul guy.
below 3 grand? thats a mighty big budget you have there. in that case go for the sg reissued. also what amp are you using. amp plays a big part in your tone.
See that's another thing I've been considering. I've got a crappy little 120 dollar amp. And the budget is what I can save up. I don't have it all now but i've got a goal to save up to before I start searching intently.
in that case. i advice you to get a gibson sg standard or 61 reissued, and get a marshall jcm800 combo amp. which should run you around 2 grand. since you can find a mint 61 for 1400 or so on ebay and the jcm800 is around 700.
Quote by kckyle
in that case. i advice you to get a gibson sg standard or 61 reissued, and get a marshall jcm800 combo amp. which should run you around 2 grand. since you can find a mint 61 for 1400 or so on ebay and the jcm800 is around 700.

^ do this.

amps contribute to tone wa more than guitars.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
The Gibson '61 Reissue is the best bang for your buck in the Gibson line.

It plays great, it's got a fast neck, it sounds great and is cheaper than a Les Paul.

I would take the '61 over any of the guitars you picked. I own a Les Paul too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by RC52190
How about no Gibson at all? Go with the Hellraiser.

i don't think active pickup can do classic as good as the humbuckers in the gibsons
SG is a LP with double cut out and lighter, both are great guitars, i tend to lean towards LP i have a LP and after 4 hrs of playing it all night my shoulder is sore but i love the sound
depends on what style your playing...for diversity if you play a lot of stuff, i would say LP.

LP-good tone for just about any style, but heavy
SG- blues, scratchy-rock tone, can play metal nicely. Bright cleans, and fairly light.
Hell- floyd rose, metal tones, rock tones, prob. not bluesy cleans, but i would guess good bridge clean sound.

its all preference bud, you cant go wrong with any of those guitars.

my personal opinion is that you should buy the guitar from the company that makes guitars around the prices you can pay....gibsons are great, but only if you can afford their standard prices (1000-3000). Schecter makes guitars for the average joe that cant afford a gibson, but they sound great...so if your price range is 500-750, i would go schecter.
Quote by ChrisL120
Y As for the SG i currently own an SG special faded and I love how easy it is to access the upper frets.

I bought an SG copy, and I'm able to hit every fret with ease. I love it!
sg 61 reissue

/thread
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by digman50
sg 61 reissue

/thread

Agreed.

With Marshall Amp.

The Les Paul is such a cliche. D:
And the Hellraiser is a one trick pony, as is anything with EMGs and a Floyd. One or the other you might be able to get away with (I play really bluesy blues on my LFR Ibanez), both of them in conjuction seriously **** your clean tone.

The SG is the best looking guitar in the world, the 61 Reissue is the best looking and sounding of the lot. Even better with Bare Knuckle pickups ;D
Get the SG, while les pauls are really nice guitars, they are overpriced. SGs are more fairly priced and give you more bang for your buck compared to the les pauls imo.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I was just trying to decide pretty much the same thing.. Haha. I went with the Sg standard.
I'm not a tone junky so I don't want a marshall amp too great. I'm a bedroom guitar player, because at my friends he has a few vox amps that we play on for our band. As for everything else, Cosmetically, I want the '61 Reissue. They're beautiful guitars and rare to find a guitarist who plays it now a days (well as far as I can see)

I wanna get a les paul simply because my idol jimmy page plays it, I like how bluesy and crunchy they can get but I also love how awesome Sg's play.

the schecter is a nice metal guitar, but for modern rock, not so much.

(That's what I am aiming for, ACDC Led Zeppelin, Velvet Revolver Stuff)
the sg can do les paul stuff just fine. people say there are more sustain cause of the thick body difference but to be honest i can't really tell the difference. and my les paul is a solid 10 pound. as for the amp. just get a marshall combo. or if you want try a hughes and kettner 20th anniversary blues edition. that only cost 600 new and the tone is phenomenon
Again, I'm not aiming for a new amp. A new amp means generally a bigger amp, bigger amp means louder volume. Louder volume means less time to play.

Which annoys me. my parents don't like me playing too often too loudly so it can get pretty annoying.
Quote by kckyle
the sg can do les paul stuff just fine. people say there are more sustain cause of the thick body difference but to be honest i can't really tell the difference. and my les paul is a solid 10 pound. as for the amp. just get a marshall combo. or if you want try a hughes and kettner 20th anniversary blues edition. that only cost 600 new and the tone is phenomenon

Thank you for the info though. I should save this for whenever I finally get a new amp (and my own apartment)
That is a good question. I have asked myself the same thing. LP or SG?
I tried both at the store.
The SG is really good looking and smaller than I thought which is cool.

But, the les paul sounded better to me. Thicker/fuller

I'm thinking les paul for me someday. You just can't beat the sound of a les paul!