Ok now that I finally got a new amp head (Trayner YCS 100H) now it's time to look at pedals. To be honest I'm absolutely happy with the sound but it could use just a touch more gain.

My question is what would be the best overdrive for this? One that won't color the sound all I need is an extra push/edge.

Also for this would an equaliser work the same way? I'm considering getting one of those and it would be great to do both in one. If so which one would be good to look into that won't add much hiss or anything?

I don't want to spend a whole lot but I would like to go further than a fish n chips for example. Any help is much appreciated
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by CM_X5
Ok now that I finally got a new amp head (Trayner YCS 100H) now it's time to look at pedals. To be honest I'm absolutely happy with the sound but it could use just a touch more gain.

My question is what would be the best overdrive for this? One that won't color the sound all I need is an extra push/edge.

Also for this would an equaliser work the same way? I'm considering getting one of those and it would be great to do both in one. If so which one would be good to look into that won't add much hiss or anything?

I don't want to spend a whole lot but I would like to go further than a fish n chips for example. Any help is much appreciated

a good OD and EQ will never let you down.
what's your price range for both pedals?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
a good OD and EQ will never let you down.
what's your price range for both pedals?

+1..........just depends on your budget.
Get an EQ first, those tend to have a boost function. Chances are you won't even need an OD anymore if you get a nice EQ.

IMO there are only 2 EQs worth getting.

Low budget:
Danelectro fish'n chips

High budget:
MXR 10 band EQ.

If you still need an extra push after getting an OD, my personal favs are

Low buget:
Digitech Bad Monkey

High budget:
Maxxon OD808
WTLTL 2011
I have an old MXR 10-band EQ & a Fulltone OCD that I use for different setups, but the OCD is better IMO because it can be switched off, whereas the EQ can't. Also, the OCD can be adjusted very quickly for a broader tonal range. Both are pretty much transparent-no noticeable tone coloration.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Ok I checked what my options were as far as what the guitar shop had in stock. I ended up getting the MXR 6 band EQ and a Visual Sound Route 808 overdrive. Both worked much better than i expected and I even had the chance to demo them on the exact amp I have at home.

The o/d pused it to the exact gain I was looking for and still has much more at my disposal. It didn't really change much of the original sound either. The EQ cleaned things up and is very straight-forward. My old amp had a built in 5 band eq so the 6 band was easy for me to get used to.

I looked for the Bad Monkey but I came on the day they didn't have it, also I was about to get a Fulltone but it was a bit more than I was able to spend. Either way thanks for the help guys. Now I'll probably have to make the obligatory NGD thread with pics and maybe sound clips of the pedals and amp head.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
The mxr 10 band eq has a gain control .... that could come in handy for you

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!