hey everyone

today i had a bass lesson and my bass teacher said i need to use my pinky A LOT more. so long story short does anyone know any songs that will encourage (or force) me to use my pinky the right way? just keep in mind nothing too hard and maybe somethin that this website has a tab for

thanks
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Any anti-flag songs are great for using all your fingers.
This 1 is good and not too hard >http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/anti-flag/if_you_wanna_steal_you_better_learn_how_to_lie_btab.htm
GEAR
***BASS***
*Fender Jaguar Bass
*Fender Standard Precision Bass Relic
*Orange CR50 BXT Amp
*Electro-Harmonix Bass Blogger
***GUITAR***
*Squier Bullet Strat
*ESP EC-50
*Orange CR10 Amp
*Digitech Grunge Pedal
guys i looked at the songs and they seem a little fast and hard. i want something that is easy 2 learn bt forces me to learn to use my pinky. i think i shoud note that im having lessons so i musnt be that good and iv only been learning for less than a year and lessons for a month

thanks for the suggestion though. also im not into metal/deathcore related genres sorry
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
few songs are going to "force" you to use your pinky. Just think about what you're playing when youplay it. You can almost always cheat and use your ring finger to play the pinky part, just be aware of this and don't do it.

Coming (with small hands) from a doublebass background, I often do the opposite and stagger my ring finger on top of my pinky then use my pinky to play notes that a ring finger would normally be used for. You can try this out as an excercise to start getting your pinky into shape, just realize that you shouldn't start playing this way all the time.

Scales are your friend, first position of a a major scale makes you use your pinky 3 notes out of 8, minor makes you use it 2 notes out of 8. You can practice those to take control of your pinky.
Send me a pm and I can give you some info on where to buy Progressive Bass Concepts, it has some good exercises for strengthening your fretting hand.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

yea bass player tend to use pinkies more as their frets are much bigger.just practice playing four consecutive frets on each string ; each fret for each finger and slowly accend the neck. after you get used to using your pinky, try bigger stretches (:
I think guitars that are made of Plywood are great!
do some exercises that incorporate your pinky. Thats how i did it for guitar. getting your pinky stronger is hard but it pays off
Quote by Mayano
Send me a pm and I can give you some info on where to buy Progressive Bass Concepts, it has some good exercises for strengthening your fretting hand.

sorry im not interested in spending any money, thanks though, also thanks everyone il keep it in mind
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Spider exercises.

Srsly.

Work from the first fret to the fourth fret on each string, moving up and forcing yourself to use your pinky for the fourth fret. Then move to the next position and do it all again. Repeat for every fret on the bass.

Do this daily, and your little finger will get a lot stronger and you'll be a lot more used to using it automatically when it's appropriate.
To concur--spider walk scales, scales, arpeggios and metronome. They will be your best friends in getting that pinky working. And work your scales in several positions up and down the neck.

Also check out the Bass exercises in the FAQ.
Manic Depression made me use my pinky when I started out. And the song by Hendrix, too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Jammin by Bob Marley uses the second to fifth fret stretch that you can reach with your pinky. It's also pretty slow paced.

Also, I used to think that you were Rich Appleman, Applehead.
I was a bit dissapointed to find out otherwise.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134

Also, I used to think that you were Rich Appleman, Applehead.
I was a bit dissapointed to find out otherwise.

You can always pretend?

Rich
8 Days a Week by the beatles, very simple, pinky required
Quote by rasveer
well theres that riff from hammer smashed face
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/cannibal_corpse/hammer_smashed_face_ver2_btab.htm
you don't have to like cannibal corpse or death metal to agree that Alex Webster is an awesome bass player

YES!, Webster is my hero and he uses all 4 fingers when he plays and sometimes he taps with thumbs
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
The intro of Down With the Sickness -Disturbed. It's a good exercise for building pinky strength.
the intro to wasted years causes you to use your pinky. do the bass part right before the verse.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
the chorus to It's My life by No Doubt :p that was good for usin the pinky when i learnt it, even if it is terribly cheesy, it's not metal?
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
someone's probably said it, but master of puppets?

back in black maybe?

tapping is good for the pinky, eg: intro to hot for teacher (nb I realise this isn't a bass part)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-0-3-7-12-7-3-0-3-7-12-7-3-0-5-9-12-9-5-0-5-9-12-9-5-0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
then up a string