I'd like a nice solid state head to pair up with my Rocker 30. While my Rocker's great for anything up thrash metal (just), I need something for when I and my band play heavier styles. I don't want a valve head, I want something that has a headphone jack, can be turned down really quiet, basically all the stuff that a valve amp can't do. Onboard effects aren't required but they could be interesting to use, so it doesn't matter too much whether it has those or not. BTW, Hybrid is also welcome.

By Heavier styles I mean Killswitch, Modern Metallica, Death Metal in general. I know as it is SS I'm not going to get those tones exactly and I'm not going to try, I just want some oomph to a/b/y with my Rocker.

Br00talz!11!11!

Here's the tl;dr specs:

>or=100w
Capable of extremely high gain
Headphone jack (could live without if absolutley neccesary)
Analogue
Can be run with my 16 Ohm Orange cab (shouldn't be too hard to find one that does that I'd imagine)

I was looking into the Hughes and Kettner Attax, is that any good for heavier styles?

Thanks for helping me out on this d00dz.
The Attax can be a bit on the noisy side. I never liked how it sounded until you really pack on some gain. When you start packing it on, it has too much feedback.

I would recommend a Randall, but I don't think they have any with 16 ohm outs, all of them are 2,4, and 8.

Check out the Randall RH150G3 Plus just for shits and giggles.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'd recommend a Randall, they make some of the best SS amps around.
Whether they match your 16 Ohm cab or not I couldn't tell you.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
Well SS Mismatch can be done with no ill effects so long as the cab is above the minimum rated load. So it's not that much of a problem. TBH I'd probably get a different cab for it anyway, I just want the Orange 212 to tide me over until then.

Edit: Can you link me? All I can find is the 300w on Thomann...a little overkill.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Nov 7, 2008,
I did look for it, but where on earth would I get one?

They're discontinued, so I imagine they're quite rare. Besides, I would prefer to buy new.
marshall mg100hdfx with its crushing overdrive...
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I recommend a Peavey Transtube XXL head. Great SS amp for all metal styles.

Also look for an old Marshall VS100. Like an 8100 model. They can be found cheap and get decently heavy.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Ampeg VH-140c

/thread.

As far as it matters to me, that's the best there is.

Also: Sunn Beta Lead.
Ampeg or Randall for sure.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
+1 to the VH-140C.

That amp is sweet. I love it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Krank revolution SST.
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I did look for it, but where on earth would I get one?

They're discontinued, so I imagine they're quite rare. Besides, I would prefer to buy new.

Ya, might be harder to find across the pond. But they seem like a good one, if you can. eBay?

And I'd skip the older Valvestates. They're good, but don't have THAT much gain. Not for modern metal or anything.
I had a H&K Matrix for a couple of years, which seems to me like the precursor the the Attax as they're near identical spec wise, and I'll agree with Allan on the noise issue. I could never really get the gain above 5 or 6 without it squealing horribly.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by imgooley
Also: Sunn Beta Lead.

Looks great, but rare, and also temperamental. I need this amp to be as solid as my Rocker for gigging. Anybody else got ideas?

It's a shame Diezel etc. don't make a decent analogue SS.

Quote by timi_hendrix
I had a H&K Matrix for a couple of years, which seems to me like the precursor the the Attax as they're near identical spec wise, and I'll agree with Allan on the noise issue. I could never really get the gain above 5 or 6 without it squealing horribly.

Seems like the Attax is out then

Quote by forsaknazrael
Ya, might be harder to find across the pond. But they seem like a good one, if you can. eBay?

And I'd skip the older Valvestates. They're good, but don't have THAT much gain. Not for modern metal or anything.

I can't use e-bay. It sucks I know, but I'm not quite old enough to own a credit/switch card, and my parents are scared they'll get ripped off on E-bay, even though it's highly unlikely.

Quote by fearo
Krank revolution SST.

Bit out of my price range. cheers for the suggestion though!

Quote by Van Noord
I recommend a Peavey Transtube XXL head. Great SS amp for all metal styles.

Bah, I want to keep away from Peavey for a while. I have the Valveking model round my drummer's house for practise, I'd like a different amp brand to explore for a while.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Looks great, but rare, and also temperamental. I need this amp to be as solid as my Rocker for gigging. Anybody else got ideas?

It's a shame Diezel etc. don't make a decent analogue SS.

Rare, yes. Temperamental, no.

A good high gain SS is hard to find. Hughes and Kettner Vortex?

Does Laney make one?
I don't think Laney make one as high gain as I need.

And the only reason I thought that the Sunn was temperamental was the reviews on HC. Then I realised that they were talking about amps they had had for over 35 years

I'll look into the Vortex, it's discontinued though. It seems most amp manufacturers just gave up making decent SS amps?! Dammit.

Quote by AkiraSpectrum
line 6 hd147 maybe?

Worth a look I suppose but I'll be saving for a long time. It's a shame they don't do a flextone head - It would be mind as soon as...
I've heard very good things about the Line6 SpiderValve HD100 head, you might look into it.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Quote by Denthrare
I've heard very good things about the Line6 SpiderValve HD100 head, you might look into it.

It's not a Solid State head, but as long as we're throwing out cheap tube amps heads, you could look for a Bugera, I saw a 333xl on CL a few weeks ago for $300.

Back to SS though, as far as the Flextone goes, a lot of people have actually converted the combos to head form, maybe you can find one of those?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If one comes up I'll jump on it, but I think for the moment I'll start getting some more money together for the Randall RH150G3+, I sounds like it's made for my tastes (at least on the Tube), and we all know Randall's rep for hi-gain SS circuitry. Thanks for the help guys!