hey guys i am looking into getting some effects and i was wondering which i would be better getting

also would i be able to play the x3 thro an am as i have heard it is a moduling(sp) amp and have seen bands like sabaton just run it thro the pa?

thanks in advance
Last edited by eruption1988 at Nov 7, 2008,
Usually a guitar amp consists of two parts. The preamp and the power amp. Roughly the preamp alters the guitar signal and the power amp amplifies the signal. You can also buy them seperately and put them in a rack for instance. Some people use a poweramp combined with a multi fx unit since the fx unit has a very low output. When you want to practice using your multi fx unit like a Pod you need at least a poweramp and a speaker to be heard.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
When I gig with my XtLive (which for the intents and purposes of this discussion is really no different) I have JUST started to use a DI to run one signal to the PA system, for what everyone hears, and one to the front of my amp, cause I seem to get a fuller smoother sound going direct to PA, I'm sure I COULD tweak my amp for that, but it would be a lot of adjustment to find the spot, and running to the PA is super easy. With that being said, If I had an effects return, or a preamp return on my amp or something of the like, line 6 recommends you plug directly into that.
so like this cant be used like the boss gt8 that ive used beofore and plug it straight into your amp and use it that way...dies this have to be run into the pa then?
POD works just like your GT8.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
ive got an X3, and for the amount of inputs and outputs its got on it, you can plug into or out of just about anything. at home, i just plug in my guitar (standard 1/4" plug) to the pod and then plug the pod into my spider amp (standard 1/4" plug). i haven't tried plugging straight into a PA, but as long as you have some sort of external speaker, you will be heard
Quote by eruption1988
so like this cant be used like the boss gt8 that ive used beofore and plug it straight into your amp and use it that way...dies this have to be run into the pa then?

Oh you can certainly plug it straight into the amp. I was just saying I prefer to run mine through a PA because it gets smoother tones that way. But it still sounds good, and works great, plugged straight into the amp. That's what I do at home, or at places where the PA isn't substantial enough to do anything besides my voice.

So yes. Definitely. As long as you have a guitar amp. The X3 will work.