(My amp is the Peavey Classic 50/212)

Today i purchased Digitech bad monkey because i needed a lead boost for my solos, and upon trying it, i liked it but it has some issues with my amp.

When i put it in front of the amp:
In the clean channel, it gives a nice warm overdrive and can be used as a huge volume boost if you set the level accordingly BUT, in the dirty channel, i can boost the amount of gain a lot, but not volume. The level only seems to affect the amount of gain.

When i put it in the effects loop, and on the dirty channel (i didn't try the clean at all), i get the same volume effects as previously stated with the clean channel, or even more but the sound is horrible, my peavey turns into something worse than an MG, really messy, sounds like 3 blankets are in top of the amp and most of the gain disappears.

So, after all this rambling my problem is, how can i get a volume boost from the pedal, but with the same sound it gives in front of the amp, and if someone who knows their sh1t would like to tell why everything of this happens? Is it just a bad EFX loop, or can you put overdrive pedals there at all.

Thanks.
My gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Squier Fat Strat Deluxe
Yamaha FG700 Acoustic
Old Nylonstrung Acoustic

Peavey Classic 50w 2/12
Roland Cube 30X
Roland Cube 60 (30~ years old)
Vox 847A Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Old Ibanez Rack Delay
When you are using it as a gain boost on a distorted channel keep the gain on the pedal at 0 and use the level control as your boost. It's normal to use it like that to boost a distored channel for more gain or punch.

When you use it as an OD for a clean channel, the level functions as volume control and the gain as your added grit in the OD. This is how it should work.

I personally never run an OD in an effects loop, thats just not how those are supposed to be used.

In short, it's working fine...just use it in front of the amp and set the level and gain according to the channel you are using.
WTLTL 2011
Traditionally you just put your OD pedal into the front of the amp and if you were looking for a solo boost with the bad monkey and don't want it to color your tone and give you extra gain I would suggest turning the level up to taste, turning low and high to 12 'o clock, the put the gain at zero, it may give you a slight OD, but should be very minimal. If it is giving you more than just a little the pedal may be defective. Hope that helps.
Quote by Mark G
When you are using it as a gain boost on a distorted channel keep the gain on the pedal at 0 and use the level control as your boost. It's normal to use it like that to boost a distored channel for more gain or punch.

When you use it as an OD for a clean channel, the level functions as volume control and the gain as your added grit in the OD. This is how it should work.

I personally never run an OD in an effects loop, thats just not how those are supposed to be used.

In short, it's working fine...just use it in front of the amp and set the level and gain according to the channel you are using.

+1
Quote by Mark G

Agreed.

What were you trying to do with the dirty channel + bad monkey anyway?
My humble thanks for all the answers. I have just recently started acquiring gear after two years of playing with practically nothing.
My gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Squier Fat Strat Deluxe
Yamaha FG700 Acoustic
Old Nylonstrung Acoustic

Peavey Classic 50w 2/12
Roland Cube 30X
Roland Cube 60 (30~ years old)
Vox 847A Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Old Ibanez Rack Delay
yeah, it's cool. mark G has it right. you just gotta get used to how these things work.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008