My Keyboardist writes everything in Harmonic Minor. I've pointed this out to him, and I've even explained a difference, but being the stubborn ass he can be at times, he just yells, "Well Regular (Natural) Minor is boring!"

I'm looking for ways to smack some sense into him. I've even played different progressions in minor to try to explain to him it depends on the chord progressions.
Well he's kind of right, but that doesnt give him the right to only play solo's the way he want to.

If he write's does he only write the solo or the whole song ?
If you are the one writing the song you should tell him what he can and what not.
Clear as that.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
If you play any scale repetitively, it will get boring.
Tell him to branch out.
Maybe your keyboardist is sitting around thinking about ways to get you INTO harmonic minor.

Let him play how he plays, and he'll let you play how you play.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Well, have him do some stuff in melodic minor. That'll throw him for a loop.

In seriousness, just start giving him music and say "play this". Once he hears that it's good, maybe it'll change his minds.
-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
I'm a keyboard player and I have a few things to say

natural minor is not boring
why not major??
Melodic minor owns the shit out of harmonic!

anyway having said that at your keyboard player, heres my advice.
just don't use his parts ever in songs saying they don't fit. Write your own progressions and do try to mix it with his parts (which obviously won't work, do make sure of this) If he then says to you, change your parts so they match mine... kick him out, he's not willign to change.
Quote by G-loony
Well he's kind of right, but that doesnt give him the right to only play solo's the way he want to.

If he write's does he only write the solo or the whole song ?
If you are the one writing the song you should tell him what he can and what not.
Clear as that.

I write the songs, then he writes a second melody to it. He replaced the rhythm guitarist. I tell him what to do, but then he goes, "I think this sounds better" and I couldn't disagree more. He'll compromise though, which is good.

Quote by Kotie
If you play any scale repetitively, it will get boring.
Tell him to branch out.

I have done that, but I'll emphasize it stronger at our next practice. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by strat0blaster
Maybe your keyboardist is sitting around thinking about ways to get you INTO harmonic minor.

Let him play how he plays, and he'll let you play how you play.

We have songs in Harmonic Minor, but when I play C Major and he's playing Db Major, it's a big clash. I'm just trying to produce a better product.

Quote by therudycometh
Well, have him do some stuff in melodic minor. That'll throw him for a loop.

In seriousness, just start giving him music and say "play this". Once he hears that it's good, maybe it'll change his minds.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by pandora_grunt
anyway having said that at your keyboard player, heres my advice. just don't use his parts ever in songs saying they don't fit. Write your own progressions and do try to mix it with his parts (which obviously won't work, do make sure of this) If he then says to you, change your parts so they match mine... kick him out, he's not willign to change.

Alright man, thanks. That's actually a REALLY good idea.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions, I'll make sure to talk to him about it.
You could try reverse psychology:

Next time someone is arguing with him about it (not you), take his defence and explain to the other guy that you heard that some people cannot think in other chords than the ones they are used best; that this is normal, like a minor handicap and that you guys will have to do with it. Make it look sincere. Chances are he will feel upset and frustrated about that. If he gets angry at you, tell him that it's ok, that you understand and that you won't bother him with it anymore, that it wasn't fair of you to demand this from him. Tell him that maybe you'll just have to play some songs in other keys without a keyboard (... pun, haha... ok).

If you are a good actor, I bet you he will do everything he can to prove you wrong. He will study like hell to come up with whatever key it is you want him to play.

This works great with kids and not too smart people. And it is great fun. But you have to keep a straight face.

Now you have to realize this is not a nice thing to do. Don't abuse it.
Last edited by Withakay at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by Withakay
You could try reverse psychology:

Next time someone is arguing with him about it (not you), take his defence and explain to the other guy that you heard that some people cannot think in other chords than the ones they are used best; that this is normal, like a minor handicap and that you guys will have to do with it. Make it look sincere. Chances are he will feel upset and frustrated about that. If he gets angry at you, tell him that it's ok, that you understand and that you won't bather him with it anymore, that it wasn't fair of you to demand this from him. Tell him that maybe you'll just have to play some songs in other keys without a keyboard (... pun, haha... ok).

If you are a good actor, I bet you he will do everything he can to prove you wrong. He will study like hell to come up with wathever key it is you want him to play.

This works great with kids and not too smart people. And it is great fun. But you have to keep a straight face.

Now you have to realize this is not a nice thing to do. Don't abuse it.

Brilliant!

Ha ha, and he's a bit of a tool, so I think we could pull this off easy.
Well, harmonic minor IS awesome.
Just teach him what a mode is. He'll be hooked if his issue is that natural minor sounds "boring."
Unless the majority agrees with you, find another battle. If the majority of the band feels how you do, then be an adult and sit him down with everyone and hash it out. Don't use some stupid mind game like it's middle school. Give respect and you'll get it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I agree with the mode thing. If he likes harmonic minor then tell him to try something like the aeolian mode.
Quote by beetroot10
i went out with a chubby girl once she kept asking me if she could eat my mars bar
Quote by phoenix_88
you do know that the aeolian mode is simply the natural minor scale, right?

Aeolian implies modal music.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Harmonic Minor is black metal. At least 6 Gorgoroth songs. ha.
anyways Phyrigian mode is interesting .
and natural minor is not boring.
Last edited by candysars at Nov 17, 2008,