right, this is a bit complicated, so bear with me

Right now I'm in a band. we've only had a few practices so far, and there's 4 of us, singer, bassist, drummer, and me on guitar.

the instruments sound good...

...but our singer is awful.

I only know one other singer (who also plays guitar), but he said he would refuse to join a band with the bassist we have (our bassist is an idiot)

We wont get anywhere with our current singer, and if we're going to have a good singer, we can't have a bassist. i don't know any other bassists, and the chances of finding one is slim.

Our drummer probably wouldn't mind changing to a new band with the new singer.

so if we made a new band, we wouldn't have a bassist.

The only solution I can think of is to get another guitarist I know (who also plays cello) to play guitar like a bass until we can find a better solution.

Any advice on what i should do?
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
you or singer move to bass its that easy..... you move over to bass and let the singer take over guitar duties or slap a bass on the singer and tell him to have fun
The (new) singer said he wouldn't mind doing bass, so i guess that could work.
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
yea he may find it a little harder to sing and play bass then sing a play guitar so be prepared for that, i know i do anyway
lol thanks, if he can't i can get that other guitarist (and cello player) i know to play bass, we'll see what happens
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
don't just dump someone that doesn't play bass onto the bass. Sure people can pick one up and make noise come out of it, but a real bass player can't just be replaced. If you have to drop the current bass player, that's ok, but go find a new real one, not some guitarist that thinks he knows how to play.

Personally I'd just bridge out and try to find a new singer instead. Lots of people sing very well, it's just hard to find people that are willing do that in front of a few friends, let alone a full crowd. Finding a friend that sounds alright and coaching them to have some confidence and lead singing penache is not going to be any harder than taking someone that can hit strings on a bass and coaching them into actually being a bass player.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
don't just dump someone that doesn't play bass onto the bass. Sure people can pick one up and make noise come out of it, but a real bass player can't just be replaced.

I agree with this. A bass player approaches the instrument with a completely different mindset than a guitar player who picks one up and says, "yay! only four strings!"

How 'bout this.... good singers are hard to find. There are twice as many bands out there than there are good singers. If you can land one of those, it becomes really pretty easy to attract other players... like, say, a bass player.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I don't see why so many people complain about not finding a bass player or a singer. There are thousands, but many of you guys are just looking at who is in your school. Look beyond your school and you are sure to find another person that plays bass. If you can dump the singer and bassist, hire the new singer/guitarist, search for a bass player.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.