Today i went to the shop for new preamp tubes for my hrd. I heard the EHX 12AX7EH were a good and cheap choice for the hot rod. But at the shop they only had one of them left, so i just bought one.
Anyone has advice on which position (v1,2,3) to put it in ?
Ill keep looking for more EHX 12 ax7's
thanks
just ask if they can order some more of those.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
better to put 3 of the same preamp tubes ? and do u think the EHX 12 ax7eh will be an improvement to the fender's 12ax7 ? Cause i've read lower gain tubes are better in the HRD, but not sure if the EHX ones are low gain.
Suggestion i found on the internet :
V1 12AX7EH (the one i already have now)
V2 (Sovtek) 5751: v2 is the overdrive positiona nd the 5751 gives 70% less gain than a 12 AX7 so it might smoothen out the drive channels.
V3 he suggested sovtek 12AX7WA (el cheapo) but i think there are better alternatives for that one maybe the same one as in V1. the V3 is the phase inverter not sure what's good here.

Any suggestions on this or better ideas ; all is welcome !
I say you order more of the tubes you have now, or get the shop to do it.
You shouldn't just change one tube, you should change out all your preamp tubes at the same time.
Oke so
V1: EHX 12AX7EH
V2: Jan Philips 5751
V3: Tung sol 12AX7 or another EHX one

VS

V1: EHX 12AX7EH
V2: EHX 12AX7EH
V3: EHX 12AX7EH

what will it be
And what about 'u planning to switch your power tubes' , should i change preamp and power ones at the same time ? or u just have a good suggestion or something.
Currently it just uses the 6L groover tubes
Last edited by LeanderTh at Nov 7, 2008,
Ah so its pretty bad to switch only pre amp tubes ? just wanted to do somthing cheap to change the voice a bit, they're not broke or something. there is a litle ringing but cant find any microphonic. And they told me not to change power tubes myself
nah, you can switch either/or whenever, but you'll notice a bigger overall difference if you change them all at once. plus, you'll have a working set of spare tubes.

they told you not to change the powertubes yourself because with your amp, it needs to be rebiased to handle a new set of powertubes. if they do it, make sure you watch so you can do it yourself for free next time.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I've read that it's not that hard with my amp maybe i can find some schemes.
yeah it's not hard if you have any electrical experience. if you do, that's good and it should be a breeze if you know what's going on inside an amp.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Mhm i dont really have a lot experience on exlectricity... but maybe with this http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/bias.html .. not sure, ill just begin with the preamp tubes and when i want more changement ill go for a power tube change.
Still not sure about the preamp positition , guess ill get a 5751 for v2 and keep one of the stock ones in the v3
Throw a balanced 5751 in the V3 phase inverter.

Mine was set up like this.

V1: JJ 12AX7
V2: EH 12AT7
V3: JAN Philips 5751

V4: JJ 6L6GC
V5: JJ 6L6GC

and it sounded like this.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/H4T3BR33D3R/?action=view&current=Lol1.flv
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.