Guys.. i need help... i literally play the same thing over and over again... i do everything basically in g...
I never get out of.. G, D, Em, A.. (oobviously i play some other stuff with songs and covers etc, but when im just playing around this is all i can think of..)

I dont know what to do.. should i get a teacher ? get lessons for maybe 2/3 months ? would that make me a better player ? i would really like to get into some lead maybe...

I ve been playin for 2 years on/off but im not as good as i should be... and i wish this is me being humble but its true..

Also another thing should i also maybe get some new gear... tbh with you i am one of those peopl who get bored with their stuff.. i cant stand playing my guitar sometimes just for the fact that its that guitar im playing.. im thinking maybe some new gear will inspire me... sigh..
i'd advise brushing up on some theory. you should never be board with music. get out of you comfert zone and mess around with new scales and stuff. mess with your amp settings. new gear is just gona put a hole in your bank account and collect dust.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
Listen to a diverse range of music; you'll find vastly different chord progressions at your fingertips.
And 12 Bar Blues is ALWAYS good. It's the only chord progression that will never lose its charm, even if it is THE blues cliche, right up there with "woke up this mornin'."
Quote by UrMomsMom
Guys.. i need help... i literally play the same thing over and over again... i do everything basically in g...
I never get out of.. G, D, Em, A.. (oobviously i play some other stuff with songs and covers etc, but when im just playing around this is all i can think of..)

I dont know what to do.. should i get a teacher ? get lessons for maybe 2/3 months ? would that make me a better player ? i would really like to get into some lead maybe...

I ve been playin for 2 years on/off but im not as good as i should be... and i wish this is me being humble but its true..

Also another thing should i also maybe get some new gear... tbh with you i am one of those peopl who get bored with their stuff.. i cant stand playing my guitar sometimes just for the fact that its that guitar im playing.. im thinking maybe some new gear will inspire me... sigh..

It would definitely help you to get a teacher. You will probably take them for more than two or three months but whatever, I wouldn't worry about how long right now ( most people take them for years).

the basic cure to your problem is simply to learn something new. Learn a new song, learn some new chords, whatever just learn something and have fun doing it.

Regarding gear:

Yes, getting gear can definitely inspire. if you have the money, why not get yourself a nice guitar and/or amp. Keep in mind that ultimately it should be the music that inspires you.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Batiati
Is it possible some people just lack creativity?

Certainly it's possible. People lack a lot of things, like manners or helpfulness.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Certainly it's possible. People lack a lot of things, like manners or helpfulness.

+1

Creativity doesn't help if somebody hasn't listened to a huge amount, ya know.
Try learning bar chords. Get a capo for new sound. Move your fingers around. Learn different tunings. Try different strumming techniques.
There's so many possibilities.
You don't necessarily need a teacher, unless you just suck and want to have an easy way out. But then again that's how some musicians work. *shrug* I've always learned by ear + tabs.
Just try and work something out! I have problems sometimes too, when trying to write a song. Just practice practice practice. It's all you need.
And try to boost your creativity. Be a little wild.
In terms of new songs.. i do learn them but thats it.. i mean with some practise i can play most songs that are obviously not shreedzooorrsss and not too complicated.. its just that i mean where does it go after that ? maybe theory is the best way to go.. i would like to know why this and this works.. i want to get into playing my own stuff and improvising... and so frustrating when i have like something in mind but i just cant play it...

maybe i also go into the perfect pitch thing... sounds pretty good...

in terms of creativity... i think alot of what i view as cool stuff or cool take on songs.. I can hear it in my head but i just cant put it down to my fingers... probably through the lack of theory because i dont know which notes go where and how to play it..
new gear sure can spark inspiration. Have you tried learning a song you wouldn't normally play? New genres help too. You might also consider putting the instrument down for a few days. As hard as that is, you will come back refreshed and have a better outlook.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by GuitarMunky
Nice.

I guess I lack the ability to completely stop myself from spamming...

So this isn't spam, I suggest looking at the video in my sig as well.
Quote by UrMomsMom
Guys.. i need help... i literally play the same thing over and over again...

Play ... new ... things! That's really the only answer to your question. Literally.

Everyone loves new gear. But, tomorrow, it's old gear. Don't think for a second
it will solve your problems or boredom.

I'm guessing you're young. Learn to face your problems and deal with them. That's
mostly what you seem to need.
i just played that chord progression fiddled with it and came out with to the opening to Ziggy Stardust by David bowie he stole my riff...to be....Arsehole

Play each chord but try hammering onto other notes with your little finger, thatll give a sense of movement, from there build a new chord up the neck from where your fingerwas.
I was SO at this point not too long ago. Hang in there.

As said above, you have GOT to learn new songs in new genres that you wouldn't normally look into. They'll introduce you to new techniques and chords. While playing basic pop songs that i liked I was having fun, and since a lot of artists use the same chord progressions for lots of their own songs it reinforced changing those chords over and over till i knew them by heart. When i came across a new chord I'd add that to my brain!

Also don't look up a tab here of your fave song on the radio, see all the foreign symbols and say "I can't do that." There are guides here on how to read tab and most songs have both tab and chord versions to choose from. Practice the chords than upgrade to tabs.

i've found more often than not if you take it note by note you'll get it. And you won't get bored cuz you'll be so "jazzed" when you're listening to a song you love and strumming out the chords right along with it. I usually learn the chords and spend some time practicing switching them and playing cleanly with no buzz then when i get tired of that I put up the video of it and go crazy just enjoying it w/out being so strict about buzz or missing notes.

What songs do you like right now?
for the record guys... i am comfortable with barre chords lol... its just that im stuck you know when im fiddling around...

I cant do anything different when im fiddling around, its just the same thing over and over..

I am into everything but il get into some jazz to broaden my horizon... if i hear a song on the radio more often than not, i try first to listen by ear.. then i go find a live version of it in youtube then if i still cant figure it out then il find tabs but yeh no problems doing that...

My problem is on the fiddling around part of my playing...
Quote by UrMomsMom
My problem is on the fiddling around part of my playing...
You can do one of two things when you're fiddling around:
1. Play wherever your fingers go
2. Concentrate on what you're doing and try to play something you have in your head

You are doing #1. Your fingers will just play the same things they're used to because it's built in the muscle memory. They don't have a brain to tell them to play something different so they're going to play the same old things. That's where you come in. If you're concentrating on what you're doing you can try to come up with melodic lines or cool progressions. Have an idea in your head and just try to play it or something close to it.

I do the same exact thing when I'm not paying attention.

Oh, if worse comes to worse, blow some amphetamine and pick up your guitar. You'll be so concentrated on what you're doing it's crazy.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Freepower
+ 1 to edg.

(that makes a total of +12, I believe)

(+12 means you should definately be doing exactly what he recommends)

Lots of good advice throughout this thread.
He does have a helluva lot more experience than most the people here. He should be listened to ALL the time.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
He does have a helluva lot more experience than most the people here. He should be listened to ALL the time.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but I don't think that anyone should be listened to ALL the time without question. I think that's one of the biggest problems around here.

that being said, I happen to agree that the solution to the problem of playing the same thing over and over is simply learning something new. I also agree that edg has made some great posts.
shred is gaudy music
Some new things you should learn, if you dont know them already are major scales, and other scales in general. Once you get comfortable with these, try learning natural scales, pentatonic scales, and reinforcing all of it. While doing this, make a serious effort to learn the notes on the fret. It seems difficult at first but once you strart learning, you get very comfortable with it. The natural scales will help a lot with this, since they do not contain sharps or flats, and so are just the natural notes. While you learn these scales, and the notes, take what you play in the scale and apply it as a chord progression. As you do this, you will have to learn different chord fingerings in different positions on the fret to get the sound right. Thats basically what I've been doing. I also got a guitar book, that has tabs for every A and E chord. I know that sound strange but once you start learning the book, you can form the chords without the tabs at all, simply because youve ingrained the sounds in brain so well. Learning this and new scales as time goes on is more than enough to keep you busy for a while. Def start reading about theory. IT takes time to sink in, and makes more sense once you apply it, but is not as difficult as it first seems. Patience. Practice. Perseverence.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I hate to sound like a jerk, but I don't think that anyone should be listened to ALL the time without question. I think that's one of the biggest problems around here.

that being said, I happen to agree that the solution to the problem of playing the same thing over and over is simply learning something new. I also agree that edg has made some great posts.
You know what I meant

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥

I agree.
Well maybe u lack creativity. I won't be the asshole to make that judgement. But I love making music and writing stuff. And I am an asshole when it comes to that stuff. It also ****s my head around if my stuff is not good enough; which essentially pushes me too find excitin' stuff.

A teacher helps, because he helps u on the road to showing new musical styles and songs, and also a fresh approah to musical ideas, and why certain licks or chord changes sound better.

A GOOD teacher wll be inspiring, and instead of learning u new songs, he'd focus on exploiting ur full potential of ur musical creativity and/or technical guitar skills depending on where ur ambition in music lies.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
LOL. I didn't realize I'd stir up such controversy here.

Actually people need not listen to ANY advice here. The only real problem most people
have is waking up. They're guided by ego and the ego's ultimate agenda is keeping
us weak and pathetic. Thus, you get pathetic posts and questions like this OP. It's not
the poster's fault because this is essentially what the world teaches.

However, inside each of us has tremendous power. You only have to awaken to it and
not allow the ego to resist it. When that happens, guitar becomes simple. Not
necessarily that you'll know everything, but that the path to knowing becomes clear.
I learn amazing new stuff almost every time I pick up the guitar. Anyone can do this
if they want and not figure it out 25 years after picking up the guitar like I did.
ok guys... thanks so much for the advise.. il keep those in mind.. i love how UG have many people that have different perspective and it does help... you guys are awesome...

Ive decided to take up lessons when my exams are finished and learn theory... learn notes on fretboard... look at the scales and how its actually constructed, and ways of playing it... i think those should help me a lot... and maybe go to some more gigs.. i've been busy with uni and didnt get to see some of my fav bands this yr... maybe seeing them live will inspire me like last time

Thanks agains guys
man, ive been also playing the same stuff on guitar for YEARS aswell

and how I fixed it? one day I got Guitar Pro, downloaded tabs for it of cool songs I loved and started to practise them, inspiration went from 0% to 100% in no time!

later on I started to browse UG and this forums, and learned a lot aswell, reading and understanding music theory is a must!!!! so make sure you do it aswell!

good luck