Hi before starting to say metalcore sucks etc listen. you know the riffs metalcore bands use. You hit the low e string palm muted then you play a note you hit the lower e and you play a note you know what i mean? i need to play up against the ropes by august burns red. I need to know that technique to get into a band and i need it really fast. Can you help on things like should i do alternate picking or downpicking? how should i hold the pick for that technique etc. please help
just practice it non stop man, its hard to explain how to do it i mean u just do....it may take awhile before u get it so idk how fast ur gonna learn
Fender MIM Stratocaster With YJM pickup in neck
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
DOD Yngwie J. Malmsteen OD
Digitech Rp 80
Downpick all the notes on the E, and then up for on all the ones on the other strings, that's how I'd do it.
I don't understand what you're asking.
And if you're having trouble learning that, and you need it to join up with a band, maybe you should practice a bit more before trying out.
for fast stuff, alternate picking is probably the best, but downpicking gives that aggressive sound, so you could use the alt picking for the e string and downpick where you have the extra note
Alternate picking will definately help you play it a bit quicker and less sloppy. It just takes practice, really. I don't think there is much technique behind using pedal tones. Just start off slow, develop a picking pattern that works for you and practice, practice practice.
just takes hours and hours of practice my man. when i was first learning the technique you are talking about i was frustrated to no end. you just need but build up the technique and let your wrist get used to the motion of doing it. idk if its something that can be learned real real fast though if youve never practiced it before. unless you can adapt quickly to those kind of things.
when i try to alternate it all confuses. also downpicking is better sounding i guess. i tried what mrfrosty said but its kinda confusing. and i guess the technique is called string skipping?
I read some article at jamplay com it gave some idea about my wrist position. Please post all your other comments i will practice this a lot but I HAVE TO DO IT!!
Quote by mrfrosty666
Downpick all the notes on the E, and then up for on all the ones on the other strings, that's how I'd do it.

This.

You could try alternate picking, but it'll take a while to get used to that, especially when there's a few notes on the E followed by one on the A, then a few on the E again.
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
Quote by Rave765
You could learn this song? Looks like fast downpicking to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exmOIyHQ_IQ

Damn, I forgot how good those guys were.

TS, hold your pick the way what this guy does, and so I think does a Paul Gilbert fellow. Malmsteen does not. Do not hold a pick like him.
Im confused should i use alternate or downpicking? for me i would prefer downpicking but is alternate picking a must? i dont it sounds as good as downpicking for this type of songs. maybe if its too fast some alternate picking will come automatically i guess.

Edit: rafa i clicked your link
to play the way you describe, I think they tune their guitar to drop D so that they use only the index finger to form bar chords on 6th & 5th strings (maybe 4th as well) and use the free fingers to play other notes
The technique is also called pedal note picking, because you use the bass note as a pedal with the other melody notes. I know the down on bass and up on melody notes sounds hard, but if you can get that tech down, you can go really quick, prob quicker than all downstrokes, unless you have a robotic arm. Its a technique I use alot when making my music, and I teach some people this exercise and it seems to help

d 5 7 8 7 5
a 5 7 8 8 7 5
e 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
dududududududududududu

also all the E bass notes shud be palm muted. start slow and build the pace, this will build your fluency with coming back up on the melody string and also the string skip. to make it harder try this one next. btw the notes i chose are random, i just like to keep the fingering the same on each string, u can use any notes.

d 5 7 8 7 5
a 5 7 8 8 7 5
e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
ddudduddudduddudduddudduddudduddudd

slightly harder variation of the same thing, go down twice and go up on the melody. and if you find that easy try this one.

d
a 5 7 8
e 000 000 000 000 etc
dududududududud

play the 3 bass notes as a triplet. so keep that rigid 'down up down' and then an up for the melody.

hope this helps. but i would always advise starting slow so you minimise sloppyness.
ok those tabs turned out shit. but just play the bass notes and melody notes separately. there is no point where two notes are played at the same time. if u need a better explanation, message me
If you want to play those "machine gun" type riffs alternating a pedalled low E note with notes or doublestops on the A and D strings then yes, you need to get good at alternate picking. It's not even a technique as such, it's just "playing the guitar".

Learn to alternate pick accurately and in time, learn to hit the right strings,learn to palm mute at will and you'll be able to do it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Rave765
You could learn this song? Looks like fast downpicking to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exmOIyHQ_IQ

Damn, I forgot how good those guys were.

TS, hold your pick the way what this guy does, and so I think does a Paul Gilbert fellow. Malmsteen does not. Do not hold a pick like him.
Quote by steven seagull
If you want to play those "machine gun" type riffs alternating a pedalled low E note with notes or doublestops on the A and D strings then yes, you need to get good at alternate picking. It's not even a technique as such, it's just "playing the guitar".

Learn to alternate pick accurately and in time, learn to hit the right strings,learn to palm mute at will and you'll be able to do it.

So ok i will try alternate picking one down one up but once playing down a open e string is it really that bad to play lets say 7th fret at 4th string as with downpicking? should that note be uppick?
to be honest, theres time where i have a 'pedal riff' where i entirely down pick and sometimes when i strictly use the ideas i talked about above where u go down on the bass and up on the melody. both methods are valid, and sound good.

steven seagull hit the nail on the head. to play metal u have to be competent in quite a few different techs, and those combined will make the riffs so much easier. so I would definately say get ure palm muting tight and controlled and ure left hand in time with ure right hand picks. these two things alone will make it sound alot more pro and will reduce alot of sloppy mistakes.